Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Shakes on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:00 pm

tfrizz wrote:
nexguy66 wrote:Not that it matters much but how long do you think Sid will wear the protective mask? Another week or two? Through playoffs no matter the length?


He can only wear it as long as the NHL allows it. Full shields, cages, and jaw protectors are illegal by NHL rules except when the players is recovering from a facial injury; as soon as they say Crosby could play without it, he'll have to.


Yep. And you can bet Sid will dump will that thing as soon as he's medically cleared to do it. My baseless speculation is that he'll need it until (hopefully) June.

It's Sid, so the adjustment period shouldn't be long. Just great to see him skating with the boys. Maybe not Game 1, but he'll play in Round 1.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby PensFan1992 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:38 pm

stopper40 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
nexguy66 wrote:Not that it matters much but how long do you think Sid will wear the protective mask? Another week or two? Through playoffs no matter the length?


He can only wear it as long as the NHL allows it. Full shields, cages, and jaw protectors are illegal by NHL rules except when the players is recovering from a facial injury; as soon as they say Crosby could play without it, he'll have to.


What's the league going to do? Send their docs to see if he can play without it? if he wants to wear it through the playoffs, I have trouble believing the league will say anything about it


You're right. The league can't do anything about it. But I'm sure Sid's gonna rip that thing off as soon as the docs tell him he can. He, unsurprisingly, hates it according to DK (has trouble seeing and breathing).
PensFan1992
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:18 pm

PensFan1992 wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
nexguy66 wrote:Not that it matters much but how long do you think Sid will wear the protective mask? Another week or two? Through playoffs no matter the length?


He can only wear it as long as the NHL allows it. Full shields, cages, and jaw protectors are illegal by NHL rules except when the players is recovering from a facial injury; as soon as they say Crosby could play without it, he'll have to.


What's the league going to do? Send their docs to see if he can play without it? if he wants to wear it through the playoffs, I have trouble believing the league will say anything about it


You're right. The league can't do anything about it. But I'm sure Sid's gonna rip that thing off as soon as the docs tell him he can. He, unsurprisingly, hates it according to DK (has trouble seeing and breathing).


The conversation would go something like this I imagine:

[Start scene with penguins meeting with NHL doctor]
[NHL doctor grabs Iginla]
NHL doctor: Tell me about Crosby! Why does he still wear the mask?
[silence]
NHL doctor: A lot of loyalty, for a hired gun!
[moves on to Crosby]
Crosby: No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
NHL doctor: If I force you to take that off, would you still be able to play?
Crosby: It would be extremely painful.
NHL doctor: You're a big guy!
Crosby: For you.
[End scene]
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,712
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Inkio on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:21 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
PensFan1992 wrote:
stopper40 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
nexguy66 wrote:Not that it matters much but how long do you think Sid will wear the protective mask? Another week or two? Through playoffs no matter the length?


He can only wear it as long as the NHL allows it. Full shields, cages, and jaw protectors are illegal by NHL rules except when the players is recovering from a facial injury; as soon as they say Crosby could play without it, he'll have to.


What's the league going to do? Send their docs to see if he can play without it? if he wants to wear it through the playoffs, I have trouble believing the league will say anything about it


You're right. The league can't do anything about it. But I'm sure Sid's gonna rip that thing off as soon as the docs tell him he can. He, unsurprisingly, hates it according to DK (has trouble seeing and breathing).


The conversation would go something like this I imagine:

[Start scene with penguins meeting with NHL doctor]
[NHL doctor grabs Iginla]
NHL doctor: Tell me about Crosby! Why does he still wear the mask?
[silence]
NHL doctor: A lot of loyalty, for a hired gun!
[moves on to Crosby]
Crosby: No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.
NHL doctor: If I force you to take that off, would you still be able to play?
Crosby: It would be extremely painful.
NHL doctor: You're a big guy!
Crosby: For you.
[End scene]


Well played.... wellllll playyeeddd.
Inkio
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:08 pm

JoseCuervo wrote:Quincey has been wearing his cage for about a month now, right?

I'm fairly certain he can play without it, but he still is.


Like the Pistons' (or wherever he is now--I can't keep track because I don't really follow the NBA) Richard Hamilton, who hasn't needed his mask for a decade but still wears it--a security blanket, maybe.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,843
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby JeffDFD on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Sid may want to take it off...but what if he has a scoring streak going? He will leave it on for forever and not change his socks!

Seriously though, we hear stories about Sid being superstitious...it clearly isn't working out for him health wise. Switch it up, man. Wear different colored socks and only shave half of your face or something. Anything to stay healthy!
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,569
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Inside the tumor in Crosby's neck.

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby André on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:52 pm

Imagine him stepping on the ice tonight and getting three points (while St Louis goes scoreless). What a classic.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,328
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:00 pm

André wrote:Imagine him stepping on the ice tonight and getting three points (while St Louis goes scoreless). What a classic.


If I could will it to happen on my own, then I would.

I wonder how much it all bothers him?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,843
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 pm

André wrote:Imagine him stepping on the ice tonight and getting three points (while St Louis goes scoreless). What a classic.


It would be a Jergens moment for sure...lol
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:39 am
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 pm

I would have expected no other comment from you SoCal.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,000
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby SoCalPenguin on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Rylan wrote:I would have expected no other comment from you SoCal.


Haha....I would have no value here if I didn't entertain you guys.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:39 am
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby André on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 am

SoCalPenguin wrote:
Rylan wrote:I would have expected no other comment from you SoCal.


Haha....I would have no value here if I didn't entertain you guys.


Jergens? I don't get it. Then again I'm not very active here anymore so I'm losing some of the jokes =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,328
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 am

hopefully we sweep in round 1 and give crosby another week and a half to rest and get him 100% for round 2 even though im sure he will play in round 1 but we shouldnt need him in round 1
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,346
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Inside Crosby's basement dryer

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Shakes on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am

André wrote:
SoCalPenguin wrote:
Rylan wrote:I would have expected no other comment from you SoCal.


Haha....I would have no value here if I didn't entertain you guys.


Jergens? I don't get it. Then again I'm not very active here anymore so I'm losing some of the jokes =)


No, no inside joke. Think general juvenile humor.

Taking nothing away from the joke, which was perfect.

As for what it means to Sid, I bet it means more than he will let on. He's uber-competitive at everything he does. He hates losing. That said, I'm sure he'll get over it quickly as there are plenty more trophies to win.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby bringitonhome on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 am

Mckenzie: Crosby to find out tomorrow if he will be cleared to play. Has dr. appt.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,503
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby toby91_ca on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 am

Again with Mckenzie getting the news
toby91_ca
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:37 pm

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby IanMoran on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:58 am

toby91_ca wrote:Again with Mckenzie getting the news

Dude's amazing, he's ALWAYS right and seems to know everything

I'm going to love when Rob Rossi soon posts something about "HIS SOURCES TELL HIM THAT CROSBY TO MEET WITH DRS ON WED!"

Thanks Rob.....
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,929
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am

toby91_ca wrote:Again with Mckenzie getting the news

Spoiler:
Image
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,118
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm

IanMoran wrote:
toby91_ca wrote:Again with Mckenzie getting the news

Dude's amazing, he's ALWAYS right and seems to know everything

I'm going to love when Rob Rossi soon posts something about "HIS SOURCES TELL HIM THAT CROSBY TO MEET WITH DRS ON WED!"

Thanks Rob.....


McKenzie and Dreger are the kings of NHL Insiders. So well connected.


The tweet, for those who want it in context:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1h
PIT not likely to know til tomorrow afternoon if Crosby will be medically cleared to play Wed vs NYI. That's when he's to see the doctor.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,176
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby Rocco on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:04 pm

Has Dude said Crosby is coming back? Only then will I believe.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,845
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby bringitonhome on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't really see him play Wednesday if he is cleared tomorrow....id say Friday at earliest. Who knows tho.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,503
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby dixonyy18 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm

bringitonhome wrote:I don't really see him play Wednesday if he is cleared tomorrow....id say Friday at earliest. Who knows tho.


If he's cleared to play, there is no way hes not playing, even if it's an hour before puckdrop.
dixonyy18
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:09 am

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby nexguy66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm

bringitonhome wrote:I don't really see him play Wednesday if he is cleared tomorrow....id say Friday at earliest. Who knows tho.


If he is cleared to play(no medical reason to sit) I bet we will see Sid out on the ice in game one. I don't think he sits a game just to get more practice in.
nexguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,739
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby bringitonhome on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:34 pm

dixonyy18 wrote:
bringitonhome wrote:I don't really see him play Wednesday if he is cleared tomorrow....id say Friday at earliest. Who knows tho.


If he's cleared to play, there is no way hes not playing, even if it's an hour before puckdrop.



He hasnt even been cleared for contact. Im sure he/they would like him to have a few contact practices first.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,503
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 am
Location: computer

Re: Crosby Out With Broken Jaw

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:35 pm

nexguy66 wrote:
bringitonhome wrote:I don't really see him play Wednesday if he is cleared tomorrow....id say Friday at earliest. Who knows tho.


If he is cleared to play(no medical reason to sit) I bet we will see Sid out on the ice in game one. I don't think he sits a game just to get more practice in.


4th line and PK duty is a no brainer if he's cleared.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,663
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beveridge, Brugrabud, DesertPenguin, Fast B, lemieuxReturns, Penspal and 26 guests


e-mail