Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am

shafnutz05 wrote:We watched Casablanca on Saturday. That movie stands up quite well, enjoyed it.

Yeah, that's a classic for good reason.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:27 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:We watched Casablanca on Saturday. That movie stands up quite well, enjoyed it.

Yeah, that's a classic for good reason.

One of the few classics that are classic for good reason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IrishEyes on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 am

Intouchables was amazing. If you can handle subtitles I highly recommend it.
IrishEyes
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Did anyone see Jack Reacher. I'm intrigued because Tom Cruise is in it, but know nothing about it. Just see it keep showing up on xbox.

i love. great scenes of pixburgh too. the opening credits are all pixburgh vistas
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:32 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:This looks amazing

That looks awesome.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm

Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 pm

The monsters from "Pacific Rim" look pretty sweet..... but the robots, are kinda dumb. This is a movie that I think I'll appreciate the crafting of, rather than the watching.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Hangover 3... yikes
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 am

It would have been better with Hugh Jackman controlling the robots...and without Charlie Day. That movie looks idiotic.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 am

Idoit40fans wrote:It would have been better with Hugh Jackman controlling the robots...and without Charlie Day. That movie looks idiotic.

:thumb:
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:08 am

the one possible saving grace is guillermo del toro
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:12 am

i finally managed to see TDKR...

Spoiler:
-man, the acting was good. everyone just hit a home run with their performances
-the execution of the story was good, though i was disappointed to see the ra's al ghul stuff resurrected. i didn't think it was particularly compelling in the 1st movie, and same for this one. i would have rather seen bane as some rogue, independent villain.
-speaking of bane...i was disappointed at the twist where he became 2nd banana to the french chick. it really marginalized his character. it's is an interesting turn, but i wanted him to be the ultimate villain that he was portrayed as - not an uber henchman.
-didn't feel like catwoman was necessary, but anne hathaway did a fantastic job
-i think the batman story arc was pretty hollow in the first two movies. they finally got me to care about this character in this one, which was a surprise.
-it wasn't as good as the TDK. too many characters, which required this sort of extreme over-exposition throughout the movie. and of course you can't match ledger's joker, but it was still very good.
-a few nitpicky things...crane as the judge, matthew modine being pointless, the scene at the end where they feel the need to tell you in 3 different ways when gordon got his "bruce wayne" reveal, the clumsy braveheart battle between the cops and the criminals. so there was a little too much clunk for it to be a great movie, but i liked it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 am

Iron Man 3 spoilery stuff...

Spoiler:
there are gonna be a lot of nerds pissed about what they do with the Mandarin in this
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Watching 48 Hours, with Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy. Watched it back in the day (as a child), but not since then.

Mike from Breaking Bad is in it (briefly), as is Dexter's dad from Dexter.

It's good, but the racial overtones are a bit overbearing for a movie shot in the 1980s. One character, a Native American, is called all kinds of slang throughout the movie, none of it necessary (maybe a bit at the beginning, used as a tool for a prisoner's escape). His friend gets him a hooker - but tells the pimp to "get a squaw. No, not one with a turban." Just odd.

Nolte calls Murphy's character "boy" and "watermelon" - and this is just the first 30 minutes or so.

Is it still a funny movie? Sure, as it was Murphy's breakout role. And the racism doesn't detract from the movie...it was just jarring to hear it.

Another one: Animal House. It has a lot of racial overtones and bigotry in it. Weird.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Watching 48 Hours, with Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy. Watched it back in the day (as a child), but not since then.

It's good, but the racial overtones are a bit overbearing for a movie shot in the 1980s. One character, a Native American, is called all kinds of slang throughout the movie, none of it necessary (maybe a bit at the beginning, used as a tool for a prisoner's escape). His friend gets him a hooker - but tells the pimp to "get a squaw. No, not one with a turban." Just odd.

Nolte calls Murphy's character "boy" and "watermelon" - and this is just the first 30 minutes or so.

Is it still a funny movie? Sure, as it was Murphy's breakout role. And the racism doesn't detract from the movie...it was just jarring to hear it.

Another one: Animal House. It has a lot of racial overtones and bigotry in it. Weird.

You got a problem with Otis Day and the Nights?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Watching 48 Hours, with Nick Nolte and Eddie Murphy. Watched it back in the day (as a child), but not since then.

Yeah, and how bout that Blazing Saddles?
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ajh2298 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Another one: Animal House. It has a lot of racial overtones and bigotry in it. Weird.

Do you mind if we dance with your dates?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 pm

ajh2298 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Another one: Animal House. It has a lot of racial overtones and bigotry in it. Weird.

Whichyo dates
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
ajh2298 wrote:

Whichyo dates

Wif yo
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 pm

:lol:

No, no. I just didn't remember the racial stuff in 48 Hours...it just sounds really dated now. Still a funny movie though...

Blazing Saddles is one of my favorites, and the racial stuff in that is parody. I think.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm

I know. I was being a wiseass.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:

You got a problem with Otis Day and the Nights?

Fran Liebowitz did...
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am

Fawn. Fawn Leibowitz.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 am

watched Silver Linings Playbook. Didn't know much about this going in, but it was really great. Definitely one of the better movies I've seen in a while, wonderful surprise. So nice to see Bobby De Niro actually acting again too.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Wed May 01, 2013 9:01 am

So...

Netflix lost a large chunk of older Warner Bros titles because of WB opening their own "instant archive" service. the list of movies that have expired 5/1:

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/expiring

edit:
business jargon
Update, 10:36 p.m.: A spokesperson for Warner Bros. insists that the launch of Warner Archive Instant is not responsible for the removal of films from Netflix’s streaming service. Joris Evers of Netflix writes in to say that Netflix often licenses movies on an exclusive basis and sometimes chooses not to renew less watched titles. He also notes that many of the movies expiring at midnight were part of a deal Netflix had with Epix.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR