NBA player comes out

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: NBA player comes out

Postby Hockeynut! on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 pm

MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I know plenty of people that personally disapprove of homosexuality, but are some of the kindest, most generous people I know (yes, even to the gays they allegedly hate, in your eyes).

This is where things get sketchy to me. If you disapprove of someone, are you really accepting who they are? It's almost like there's a caveat in how you view that person. In the above sentence, if you replace "homosexuality" with "blacks," doesn't that seem off? What is the difference? I'm asking because I'm really trying to figure out how it would be different.

I think it would be better to replace it with "Jews" or "Muslims" or "Hindus" or even "Atheists".
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 pm

MWB wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I don't think "disapprove" is right word for what shad is trying to say. However, I can't think of a better word to replace it.

Misunderstands?

No.

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, shad is saying that some think the act of homosexuality is wrong, but they don't have problems/issues with people who are LGBT.

That's probably an extremely simplified version, but I think that's what he's getting at.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
MWB wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I know plenty of people that personally disapprove of homosexuality, but are some of the kindest, most generous people I know (yes, even to the gays they allegedly hate, in your eyes).

This is where things get sketchy to me. If you disapprove of someone, are you really accepting who they are? It's almost like there's a caveat in how you view that person. In the above sentence, if you replace "homosexuality" with "blacks," doesn't that seem off? What is the difference? I'm asking because I'm really trying to figure out how it would be different.

Problem with that is, it is perfectly natural to be black. It is not natural to be gay.

its amazing what 100 years will alter. The same thing was said about blacks in this country. Why do you consider sexual reproduction to be the natural order of things? Because two humans cannot make children by conventional means doesn't mean that the affections or emotions they bond to one another is unnatural or an abomination. Thats a very myopic vision of our species.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:21 pm

This dude I know hates black people but it great with his kids and loves his family and gives to charities. He's still a racist.

The person in shads example is a homophobe IMO. "Disapproving" of ones intrinsic qualities is prejudice. Lets not tiptoe around it.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 pm

I don't know. I personally could give a rat's ass if someone is gay or not. Not my job/place to tell someone what they should or shouldn't be.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:24 pm

slappybrown wrote:This dude I know hates black people but it great with his kids and loves his family and gives to charities. He's still a racist.

The person in shads example is a homophobe IMO. "Disapproving" of ones intrinsic qualities is prejudice. Lets not tiptoe around it.

I don't think that example encompasses what shad was getting at, at all.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I don't know. I personally could give a rat's ass if someone is gay or not. Not my job/place to tell someone what they are or aren't

Fixt.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
slappybrown wrote:This dude I know hates black people but it great with his kids and loves his family and gives to charities. He's still a racist.

Shad said that the person disapproves of homosexuality (the person or the act it makes no difference). It is most certainly is the same thing. Disapproving of someone on the basis of sexuality is the same as disapproving of someone on the basis or race. No clue what fine line you're tryin to draw here.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
MWB wrote:

I think it would be better to replace it with "Jews" or "Muslims" or "Hindus" or even "Atheists".

Those are all learned and/or chosen things though.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Who anywhere is qualified to decide what is "natural" and what isn't? Its just a case of feebleminded debutants brokering a sociological caste system on those deemed "different" because they don't accept their existence.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 pm

canaan wrote:Who anywhere is qualified to decide what is "natural" and what isn't? Its just a case of feebleminded debutants brokering a sociological caste system on those deemed "different" because they don't accept their existence.

Who gave you all those big words to use?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Knan brings the pain
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

canaan wrote:Who anywhere is qualified to decide what is "natural" and what isn't? Its just a case of feebleminded debutants brokering a sociological caste system on those deemed "different" because they don't accept their existence.

That could have used a comma (or two), but I approve.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Rocco wrote:

Who gave you all those big words to use?

I was a week behind on my word of the day calendar and just triple word scored my way to the submit button
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 pm

slappybrown wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Shad said that the person disapproves of homosexuality (the person or the act it makes no difference). It is most certainly is the same thing. Disapproving of someone on the basis of sexuality is the same as disapproving of someone on the basis or race. No clue what fine line you're tryin to draw here.

I'd say there's a fine line between hating gay people and being uncomfortable with homosexuality. Some people are just uncomfortable with things that aren't the status quo. I don't think that makes them a hateful person. Again, I don't think "disapprove" was the right word shad wanted to use. I'll let him clarify. Probably should stop trying to guess what he was getting at. I think the people shad describes as "disapproving" are also accepting of the fact these people are homosexual, and that's where the distinction is.

Rylan wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I don't know. I personally could give a rat's ass if someone is gay or not. Not my job/place to tell someone what they are or aren't

Fixt.

You knew what I meant.
Last edited by MRandall25 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:34 pm

True, I did. Hence why I fixed it to make it more accurate.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:38 pm

I am bigoted towards those that say "hence". It is my cross.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

I am fine with that. I am bigoted towards people that don't capitalize their name. It is my cross.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

A noble standpoint. I cannot fault you for that.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:40 pm

Man hug to cross the plain of our divide?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Rylan wrote:Man hug to cross the plain of our divide?

I cannot lay my shield on this issue. I am a victim of my own dedication.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 pm

I understand. In that case, we shall carry on the path we were already headed.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Mutually assured destruction?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:29 am

being gay and being "natural" have nothing to do with each other. its not like you cant still create children if you want to. their bodies work as naturally as the jagoff telling them they disapprove. their bodies are the same. in their psychological workings, they are attracted to the same sex, thats it. if 95% of people liked cheetos instead of funyuns, i guess that would be "natural" too.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 am

First off, the bigotry argument is nothing but semantics. We can just stop that conversation because it's getting to a point where people are arguing the exact same point.

Secondly, Fallenhero... wow. Just wow.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR