ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby Godric on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:46 pm

I'd throw the Crosby line against the Tavares line.

Tavares can't do anything when he doesn't have the puck
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby pens2005 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Fleury will start only because Bylsma loves him for some reason.


Wonder why?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,226
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby luv66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:14 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Honestly the Pens should sweep. The Isles aren't good. They are one of two playoff teams that doesn't have a positive goal differential. They have the worst goals against of any playoff team, going against the highest scoring team in hockey. Worst five on five differential of any playoff team. Penalty kill isn't good going against the second best unit in the league. Below average faceoff team. Also not a lot of playoff experience on that team. This is not a good match-up for them as the Pens' strengths play right into their weaknesses.

Upsets happen but this shouldn't be close. What happened 20 years ago is irrelevant. I've been heavily critical of this team but I expect them to be much more focused this year.


This last sentence ^

On a tangent, when I was watching "the shirts off our backs" after the last game I kept thinking" he wasn't here last year and he wasn't here last year and ... "You get the point. Previously I didn't stop to think about it. This team is so different from the one last year. Stronger physically and mentally IMO.
luv66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,036
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby JeanPronovost on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I know people here discount 1975, but as someone who experienced it I can tell you it was just as heartbreaking as 1993. The 1975 Pens of course weren't as good as the 1993 Pens, but they were the best team the franchise had up until that point and having basically an expansion team steal a series away like that was just crushing. To feel the series slipping away after a 3-0 lead and to lose the last game 1-0 at home -- how depressing.

I remember both Game 7s vividly. I remember driving aimlessly around the Bronx after the 1975 game and sitting crumpled up in a dark corner of my house after the 1993 game. I'm not picking one over the other; they were both catastrophes.

Does anyone recall that after the Islanders came from 3-0 down to beat the Pens in 1975 they nearly did it again to the Flyers in the next round?
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 3:56 pm
Location: Cedar Hill, TX

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby Gaucho on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:47 pm

I have a feeling Brenden Morrow will do something legendary in Game 1.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,705
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby sharpshootr55 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:58 pm

I could definitely see him doing his best 'Gary Roberts vs. the Sens' impression.
sharpshootr55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,988
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:14 am

What a stupid series! Kill this team in whatever how many games it takes. Like Disco said..."grind these FELLOWS down". ;)
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,313
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: The biggest Pearl Jam fan in Pittsburgh.

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 am

Pens in 5! I dont see a sweep..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,479
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 am

From the NY Long Island media. They're still living in the past. :)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... -1.5165501
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby Beveridge on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:28 am

I think Morrow and Cooke are going to be the 2nd coming of the Smash Brothers in these playoffs.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,282
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby mariojr on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:29 am

I don't remember 75. Was 8. Started becoming aware of hockey that fall, I think.

82 was painful, and became more so in retrospect when the team collapsed so utterly, so absolutely, over the next two years that it took them five more years after drafting Mario Lemieux just to make the playoffs again (when 16 out of 21 teams made it). I was at Game 3; the only Pens playoff game I ever attended. I remember how the Pens strategy of holding the Isles rush up at the Pens blue line or in the neutral zone kept the game close. They might have been the forerunners of the NZT.

93 - well what else needs to be said about it. I couldn't really mourn it properly, since I was at a Rasta Rafiki show at Thirsty's and determined to have a good time regardless. It just really started to hit me the next day.

I worry about how effective will be Crosby and Malkin. The former will not be full strength, the latter cannot shoot due to ongoing shoulder problems. Remember when Jagr tried to play in 2001 against the Debs? Not much good he did then. Hopefully Malkin's 3 pt night against Carolina indicates that he's ready to dominate, but then, that goalie sucked.

And there's the rub. Goaltending is probably 50% of hockey, maybe more. Fleury has had a fine season and his stats are similar to Vokoun's, but Vokoun's stats include a horrible 3 game stretch that's long behind him. More recently, Vokoun has been much better than Fleury, both statistically and by the eye test. He's better at rebound control, better at positioning, better with the glove hand, better seeing the puck (through a screen), and better handling the puck. The only thing Fleury has over Vokoun is Fleury's quicker, especially side to side. Fleury makes spectacular saves, Vokoun makes them look easy. Of course, it's going to be Fleury for Game 1; he's the No. 1 goalie and it would take more to change that than what's happened so far. But I wouldn't hesitate to go to Vokoun for Game 2 if Fleury has a bad game 1, or if they fall behind 2-0.

Pens in 6. But if it goes to 7, Isles win.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,018
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:15 pm

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby columbia on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:From the NY Long Island media. They're still living in the past. :)

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnist ... -1.5165501


I believe that's called a misuse of history.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,833
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:42 am

Is Brian Strait on their first defensive pairing?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,882
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby no name on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:04 am

LUBOMIR VISNOVSKY - THOMAS HICKEY

the prospect of Kunitz-Malkin-Neal facing these guys 5 on 5 gives me a good feeling.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,938
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 am

I'm interested in seeing what 4th line HCDB goes with. To play a guy like Glass over Bennett and even Kennedy would be a mistake.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 am

thehockeyguru wrote:I'm interested in seeing what 4th line HCDB goes with. To play a guy like Glass over Bennett and even Kennedy would be a mistake.


I'd agree with that, only because the Isles give up a ton of goals, and having BB or TK in there at least gives the option of another RH shot who can score. BB has played with surprising grit, and TK does lift his game in the playoffs.

**The Isles are a team that will really struggle to defend 4 good scoring lines. Their bottom pairings just don't match up well against a Morrow/Sutter/Cooke or a BB/Jokinen/Adams combo. Putting Glass out there, who has not been good on the PK and provides no offense would seem to play into their hands. If Bylsma rolls 4 lines the Pens will roll over the Isles.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,814
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby pulp22 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 am

mariojr wrote:I don't remember 75. Was 8. Started becoming aware of hockey that fall, I think.

82 was painful, and became more so in retrospect when the team collapsed so utterly, so absolutely, over the next two years that it took them five more years after drafting Mario Lemieux just to make the playoffs again (when 16 out of 21 teams made it). I was at Game 3; the only Pens playoff game I ever attended. I remember how the Pens strategy of holding the Isles rush up at the Pens blue line or in the neutral zone kept the game close. They might have been the forerunners of the NZT.

93 - well what else needs to be said about it. I couldn't really mourn it properly, since I was at a Rasta Rafiki show at Thirsty's and determined to have a good time regardless. It just really started to hit me the next day.

I worry about how effective will be Crosby and Malkin. The former will not be full strength, the latter cannot shoot due to ongoing shoulder problems. Remember when Jagr tried to play in 2001 against the Debs? Not much good he did then. Hopefully Malkin's 3 pt night against Carolina indicates that he's ready to dominate, but then, that goalie sucked.

And there's the rub. Goaltending is probably 50% of hockey, maybe more. Fleury has had a fine season and his stats are similar to Vokoun's, but Vokoun's stats include a horrible 3 game stretch that's long behind him. More recently, Vokoun has been much better than Fleury, both statistically and by the eye test. He's better at rebound control, better at positioning, better with the glove hand, better seeing the puck (through a screen), and better handling the puck. The only thing Fleury has over Vokoun is Fleury's quicker, especially side to side. Fleury makes spectacular saves, Vokoun makes them look easy. Of course, it's going to be Fleury for Game 1; he's the No. 1 goalie and it would take more to change that than what's happened so far. But I wouldn't hesitate to go to Vokoun for Game 2 if Fleury has a bad game 1, or if they fall behind 2-0.

Pens in 6. But if it goes to 7, Isles win.


Good thing you aren't a player. You sound scared...
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am

RxBandit66 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I'm interested in seeing what 4th line HCDB goes with. To play a guy like Glass over Bennett and even Kennedy would be a mistake.


I'd agree with that, only because the Isles give up a ton of goals, and having BB or TK in there at least gives the option of another RH shot who can score. BB has played with surprising grit, and TK does lift his game in the playoffs.

**The Isles are a team that will really struggle to defend 4 good scoring lines. Their bottom pairings just don't match up well against a Morrow/Sutter/Cooke or a BB/Jokinen/Adams combo. Putting Glass out there, who has not been good on the PK and provides no offense would seem to play into their hands. If Bylsma rolls 4 lines the Pens will roll over the Isles.


I'd expect a combo of

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Morrow
Adams - Jokinen - Bennett

But if it was me, I'd have Jokinen on the 3rd and Sutter on the 4th.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby sil on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
I'd expect a combo of

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Morrow
Adams - Jokinen - Bennett

But if it was me, I'd have Jokinen on the 3rd and Sutter on the 4th.


I bet it will vary based on the game situation. If the pens are down, move Jokinen up and move Cooke down. If the pens have a nice lead in the third...give us all the Cooke we can get on that third line.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,852
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:41 am

sil wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
I'd expect a combo of

Dupuis - Crosby - Iginla
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Morrow
Adams - Jokinen - Bennett

But if it was me, I'd have Jokinen on the 3rd and Sutter on the 4th.


I bet it will vary based on the game situation. If the pens are down, move Jokinen up and move Cooke down. If the pens have a nice lead in the third...give us all the Cooke we can get on that third line.


Depends on which Cooke. I dont want to see any fly-bys. He needs to forget about the talking heads in the media, finish his checks, and play his game.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby pcm on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:40 pm

With Sid and Brooks likely out tomorrow, will these be the lines?

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jokinen-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

I'd be concerned going into a game with only 3 centers. I'd rather a 4th line of Adams-Vitale-Kennedy/Bennett. Vitale's faceoff work has been dynamite. It's mind boggling why he's not on the PK...

Defense:

Letang-Martin
Murray-Niskanen
Eaton-Despres

Though probably Engelland will be in there instead of Despres.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,101
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm

pcm wrote:With Sid and Brooks likely out tomorrow, will these be the lines?

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Jokinen-Iginla
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Glass-Adams-Kennedy

I'd be concerned going into a game with only 3 centers. I'd rather a 4th line of Adams-Vitale-Kennedy/Bennett. Vitale's faceoff work has been dynamite. It's mind boggling why he's not on the PK...

Defense:

Letang-Martin
Murray-Niskanen
Eaton-Despres

Though probably Engelland will be in there instead of Despres.



Engellend-Martin
Murray-Niskanen
Eaton-Letang
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby Nizzy on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:00 pm

Letang Eaton
Martin Despres
Niskanen Murray

Engelland isnt better than Despres
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,596
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Despres is not going to get 2nd pairing minutes.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,710
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. ISLANDERS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thr

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Nizzy wrote:Letang Eaton
Martin Despres
Niskanen Murray

Engelland isnt better than Despres


It doesnt matter who is better, its who HCDB prefers.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,214
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: I'm 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

e-mail