Destination Weddings

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Destination Weddings

Postby BadHands71 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Honestly, if you want to get married somewhere exotic and don't have alot of close friends or family that you want there, just elope. We chose to get married here because of the amount of close friends and family who wouldn't be able to make a trip for a destination wedding. If getting married is the most important part and you don't have alot of people you really want there, just elope. You can get married with much less expense and stress that way. Or get married with a JOP and have a big party afterwards. Destination weddings suck 99.9% of the time IMO
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 am

We did Vegas. I know it's not an exotic destination per se, but it accomplished a lot of the good an eliminated the bad. It wasn't a heavy burden because at least 1/2, if not more, of our small amount of guests were flying in regardless. We figured... would they rather spend 3 days in Phoenix/Scottsdale, and do we want to have to entertain everyone? Or would they (and we) rather be in Vegas where they have anything they want to do at their disposal? For the local guests, it was easy as well b/c Phoenix to Vegas is a $150 plane ticket, and everyone takes regular trips there anyways.

The advantages
-we didn't have to over pay for a huge venue when we only wanted 30ish people
-the above issues
-you get a package type wedding, and you don't have to spend countless weekends picking linens and foods and locations and hotels and blah and blah and more blah

If the future Mrs. Itwasaliens really is in love with the idea of planning her wedding, don't go this route because it limits a lot of the "choices" they want.

For us, it was great. And we didn't spend ridiculous money. And everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:09 am

The only issue was the best man... who called at 5pm the night prior to the wedding and apparently "forgot" to buy his plane ticket. He swore he bought it. Only there was no ticket, no email, and no charge to his debit card for a plane ticket.

On a totally unrelated note... joopen
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

I just got invited to one in Aruba for late NEXT summer. They need an RSVP by July 15.

Thats just way too far in advance for me to commit several thousand dollars to. I'm not married so I can't definitely rsvp for two people, and who knows I could be engaged by then (ridiculously unlikely) but I'd hate to not bring her. I could be unemployed, replacing a roof/furnace, have a blown head gasket, etc.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 01, 2013 8:38 pm

my wedding was a "destination wedding" of sorts. we did it to save money and avoid the hassle of a big wedding. but i think the hotel we blocked was less than a hundred bucks a night, and it was possible to drive instead of fly there. i don't get the feeling that anyone was bothered by it. i can't imagine doing an island thing and making people spend a small fortune to attend.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:my wedding was a "destination wedding" of sorts. we did it to save money and avoid the hassle of a big wedding. but i think the hotel we blocked was less than a hundred bucks a night, and it was possible to drive instead of fly there. i don't get the feeling that anyone was bothered by it. i can't imagine doing an island thing and making people spend a small fortune to attend.

This is perfectly reasonable. A wedding on Maui, on the other hand....
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 pm

flight and hotel info for aug 2014 arent available yet, but to book 3 nights and flights over the same weekend this year is about $3500 for two. come on man.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu May 02, 2013 7:28 am

lol
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Thu May 02, 2013 8:43 am

We went to a friends wedding in Vegas my wife was Maid of Honor. The couple getting married paid for air fare for us and I think the hotel also (stayed at the stratosphere). All in all I wont complain about a "free" trip to Vegas. I believe the couple paid for the majority of the people to come out but there was only about 10 people there family and very close friends.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Thu May 02, 2013 9:23 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:I just got invited to one in Aruba for late NEXT summer. They need an RSVP by July 15.

Thats just way too far in advance for me to commit several thousand dollars to. I'm not married so I can't definitely rsvp for two people, and who knows I could be engaged by then (ridiculously unlikely) but I'd hate to not bring her. I could be unemployed, replacing a roof/furnace, have a blown head gasket, etc.

why do they need an RSVP a year in advance? sheesh
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 am

Key West is a great destination wedding spot. Friends of ours had theirs on a catamaran out in the water back in 2006. Wasn't cheap to get there/stay there but it was a 4 day mini-vacation, and we got to witness their drunk crawl in gown and tux.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens9192 on Thu May 02, 2013 12:45 pm

I would never go to one unless it was 100% paid for and/or it was for someone close. I'm just not into huge ordeals like that and would rather spend those thousands of dollars on Disney World, for example. Everyone close to me is already married so the only ones left are my two daughters and I would be there no matter what cost. But they are both under four years old, so I have awhile to save up!

My sister and her husband have been to two of them, each time paying their own way and each time at a different Caribbean island. The second one was when their second child was four months and they had a three year old too. They were gone a week and my parents tag teamed to baby sit them. Personally, I couldn't bring myself to go on a week vacation while my infant is home but my sister and I are different.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 pm

what if the destination wedding was at disney....??
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NHR