Movie

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Movie

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 01, 2013 10:56 am

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/steven-soderbergh-state-of-cinema-address/

very interesting read from Steven Soderbergh on the state of cinema.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 01, 2013 11:03 am

The Bond movies (well, most of them up until Brosnan) were on Netflix streaming for the month of April. They are now gone.

I could get them to stream on my PC, but not on my smartphone or iPad...something about not being available. Anyone else notice this?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Wed May 01, 2013 11:43 am

eddysnake wrote:http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/steven-soderbergh-state-of-cinema-address/

The first 6 or 7 paragraphs (before he gets into all of the movie stuff) are pretty interesting and thought-provoking.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:04 pm

Compliance - Yikes, knowing that was a true story was unreal.

500MPH Storm - This has the makings of a hilarious movie.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Bond movies (well, most of them up until Brosnan) were on Netflix streaming for the month of April. They are now gone.

I could get them to stream on my PC, but not on my smartphone or iPad...something about not being available. Anyone else notice this?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470753/netfl ... 800-titles

Almost 1800 titles are being withdrawn. Some of the titles that will no longer be on Netflix include 15 seasons of South Park and a number of classic James Bond movies, as well as classics from the Warner Bros. catalog.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri May 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Kraftster wrote:
eddysnake wrote:http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/steven-soderbergh-state-of-cinema-address/

The first 6 or 7 paragraphs (before he gets into all of the movie stuff) are pretty interesting and thought-provoking.

This article is really cool and I'm glad he touched on the cost to make and market a movie - they've skyrocketed. Film District is a company that seems to have a handle on managing costs and creating lower budget movies that are netting them a decent return.

I like movies - all kinds mostly. But if I only have two hours in a week to watch tv or a movie, I don't likely want to watch something sad/depressing/thought provoking. He's right - I'm in my busy time of the year at work when I come home from work I'm mentally exhausted and way too strung out to enjoy a movie like Pi or Memento.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Sat May 04, 2013 8:34 am

Going to see Iron Man 3 today at 11am. Hoping its better than the 2nd.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sat May 04, 2013 8:49 am

skullman80 wrote:Going to see Iron Man 3 today at 11am. Hoping its better than the 2nd.

it is. It's pretty good. It has a few problems, like most comic book movies do, but it was entertaining. I have a couple very specific gripes about it, but i won't go into them until more people have seen the movie.

I think it's between pt 1 and pt 2 as far as quality goes.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nuge on Sat May 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Anyone see Pain and Gain? I thought it was awesome.
Nuge
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun May 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Watched Django and The Amazing Spiderman last night.

I thought both were really enjoyable movies.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun May 05, 2013 12:15 pm

just watched life of pi. neve read the book

Spoiler:
which of the stories is real?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun May 05, 2013 12:20 pm

perhaps i should have been more patient
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun May 05, 2013 4:09 pm

Dark City.

The reason the Pens won today.

/crossedthreads
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Sun May 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Saw Iron Man 3 this morning before the game. Visually very good, main storyline good, but I felt like there was a little too much going on.

Couple other little complaints, but was still enjoyable summer fare. And the theater I saw it in was awesome. Reserved full leather recliners for the 3D 10am show. $9.50 each.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby skullman80 on Sun May 05, 2013 5:41 pm

I liked iron man 3. Much better than the 2nd almost good as the 1st. Good summer movie fun.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun May 05, 2013 5:54 pm

blackjack68 wrote:Saw Iron Man 3 this morning before the game. Visually very good, main storyline good, but I felt like there was a little too much going on.

Couple other little complaints, but was still enjoyable summer fare. And the theater I saw it in was awesome. Reserved full leather recliners for the 3D 10am show. $9.50 each.

only really 3 complaints...

Spoiler:
1. as you mentioned, way too much stuff going on. The extremis stuff didn't really need to be in the movie at all. It was a vague procedure that turned people into lava monsters, apparently. There was plenty enough story with Killian & the Mandarin to fill a 2 hour movie, i thought.

2. He spends like half the movie trying to fix his mk42 armor when he literally has DOZENS of functional (if not perfect) armors at his house that he can remote summon. It made no sense to spend so much time on the movie on getting that ONE armor working if he had others at home.

3. the ending had no gravitas. disney deaths, nameless mooks against empty iron man armors, and freaking gwynneth paltrow saving the day? tony stark might as well not have even been there.

but i thought it was entertaining, and much better than part 2.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun May 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Eismann wrote:Dark City.

The reason the Pens won today.

/crossedthreads

easily one of my top 10 movies ever made. i LOVE this one.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Froggy wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:Saw Iron Man 3 this morning before the game. Visually very good, main storyline good, but I felt like there was a little too much going on.

only really 3 complaints...

Spoiler:
1. as you mentioned, way too much stuff going on. The extremis stuff didn't really need to be in the movie at all. It was a vague procedure that turned people into lava monsters, apparently. There was plenty enough story with Killian & the Mandarin to fill a 2 hour movie, i thought.

2. He spends like half the movie trying to fix his mk42 armor when he literally has DOZENS of functional (if not perfect) armors at his house that he can remote summon. It made no sense to spend so much time on the movie on getting that ONE armor working if he had others at home.

3. the ending had no gravitas. disney deaths, nameless mooks against empty iron man armors, and freaking gwynneth paltrow saving the day? tony stark might as well not have even been there.

but i thought it was entertaining, and much better than part 2.

You've encapsulated my thoughts nd complaints perfectly. And yes, would recommend.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 pm

I watched Silver Lining's Playbook last night. I didn't think it was anything special at all. Above average, maybe? Really don't get the hype.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 pm

anyone see pain and gain?

I want to go see it so bad
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun May 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Kraftster wrote:I watched Silver Lining's Playbook last night. I didn't think it was anything special at all. Above average, maybe? Really don't get the hype.

I just came in to post the same thing, pretty much word for word right down to watching it last night. And i'm not saying she was bad at all in it, but how did Jennifer Lawrence get an Oscar for that?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun May 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Ironman 3 good, very mess 3rd act but mostly good.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 am

I liked Iron Man 3, saw it at the drive in's Saturday night along with Oz the great and powerful. I liked IM 3 better than Oz, but both were enjoyable.

Iron Man spoiler
Spoiler:
In regards to Tony working on Mark 42, his house was blown up and the suits needed to be dug out, I believe when he and Rhodes are on the speed boat Tony is talking with Jarvis about the excavation at the house. Why blow up all his suits?

So Iron Man is done now right? Possibly 1 more for Avengers 2
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon May 06, 2013 9:30 am

I loved Iron Man 3. Some issues here and there, but whatever, I found it to be highly enjoyable. The humor felt very much like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, so that made me enjoy it even more. Also loved their treatment of The Mandarin.

PensHckyFan79 wrote:I liked Iron Man 3, saw it at the drive in's Saturday night along with Oz the great and powerful. I liked IM 3 better than Oz, but both were enjoyable.

Iron Man spoiler
Spoiler:
In regards to Tony working on Mark 42, his house was blown up and the suits needed to be dug out, I believe when he and Rhodes are on the speed boat Tony is talking with Jarvis about the excavation at the house. Why blow up all his suits?

So Iron Man is done now right? Possibly 1 more for Avengers 2

Your spoiler part seems correct to me. As far as more Iron Man, Marvel is going to extend Downey's contract to guarantee his appearance in The Avengers 2, but more Iron Man movies are still up in the air.

As a sidenote, I enjoy seeing the studio's ridiculous pandering to China kind of blow up in their face.

http://kotaku.com/why-many-in-china-hate-iron-man-3s-chinese-version-486840429
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 am

Finally saw The Hobbit last night. Meh
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR