OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islanders

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islan

Postby Godric on Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 pm

edit: Pens aren't perfect but I don't think they need to be to win the east.
Last edited by Godric on Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby slappybrown on Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Godric wrote:RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THE APEX FAN. I AM THE PERFECT FAN. I REACT RATIONALLY TO EVERYTHING I AM DIVINELY ORDAINED AS THE GREATEST FAN. I APPRECIATE THE TEAM MORE THAN ONE. EVERYONE ELSE IS EITHER A RAGING HOMER OR A MANIC PANIC'R

You are a disaster, you know that right?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sun May 05, 2013 10:57 pm

slappybrown wrote:
Godric wrote:RAWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM THE APEX FAN. I AM THE PERFECT FAN. I REACT RATIONALLY TO EVERYTHING I AM DIVINELY ORDAINED AS THE GREATEST FAN. I APPRECIATE THE TEAM MORE THAN ONE. EVERYONE ELSE IS EITHER A RAGING HOMER OR A MANIC PANIC'R

You are a disaster, you know that right?

I know now. :thumb:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby slappybrown on Sun May 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Close but not quick enough on the edit genius.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sun May 05, 2013 10:59 pm

slappybrown wrote:Close but not quick enough on the edit genius.

can't win every game

both the hawks and pens are up 2-1
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 pm

bhaw wrote:
slappybrown wrote:They've repeatedly "adjusted" their approach throughout the season depending on need and opponent. "Change the approach stupid Dan!" is the new, less mellifluous "SHOOT IT" or "HIT SOMEONE!"

So... please explain why this is happening for 5 straight periods:

1. Over-pursuit: the Isles are using this against us. When they enter our zone or are controlling it in our end, the Pens are chasing hard. The Islander players are letting the play come to them then passing to open ice, where they have guys waiting. This is where their zone control is stemming from. Pens need to hit their assignments, battle for the puck and move it out.
2. The Isles are playing a lot from the side of our net. Over 50% of the goals this series have been set up or scored from this area. Pens haven't adjusted and are letting them control it in this area. This is very similar to how the Flyers beat us, so I'm sure the Islanders are using tape and seeing if we are still soft along the goal line to set up and shoot. We are, and they are scoring from here.

"adjust" is short hand for not noticing what the other team is doing and changing your game plan to it. I even did someone like you favor of saying what I mean. But if you feel the need to dumb stuff down, go ahead. I was very clear in what I meant and gave pretty obvious examples that were going on all game.

We could also talk about how the Pens are actually letting NY get to the puck first and hoping to poke it away. Just because he made sweeping adjustments in the regular season doesn't mean he has improved even one iota at making micro adjustments in a series or in a game.

But please, let's talk about how people post more instead of hockey.

:thumb:
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sun May 05, 2013 11:18 pm

slappybrown wrote:
bhaw wrote:
slappybrown wrote:They've repeatedly "adjusted" their approach throughout the season depending on need and opponent. "Change the approach stupid Dan!" is the new, less mellifluous "SHOOT IT" or "HIT SOMEONE!"

So... please explain why this is happening for 5 straight periods:

1. Over-pursuit: the Isles are using this against us. When they enter our zone or are controlling it in our end, the Pens are chasing hard. The Islander players are letting the play come to them then passing to open ice, where they have guys waiting. This is where their zone control is stemming from. Pens need to hit their assignments, battle for the puck and move it out.
2. The Isles are playing a lot from the side of our net. Over 50% of the goals this series have been set up or scored from this area. Pens haven't adjusted and are letting them control it in this area. This is very similar to how the Flyers beat us, so I'm sure the Islanders are using tape and seeing if we are still soft along the goal line to set up and shoot. We are, and they are scoring from here.

"adjust" is short hand for not noticing what the other team is doing and changing your game plan to it. I even did someone like you favor of saying what I mean. But if you feel the need to dumb stuff down, go ahead. I was very clear in what I meant and gave pretty obvious examples that were going on all game.

We could also talk about how the Pens are actually letting NY get to the puck first and hoping to poke it away. Just because he made sweeping adjustments in the regular season doesn't mean he has improved even one iota at making micro adjustments in a series or in a game.

But please, let's talk about how people post more instead of hockey.

I'm on my phone, but you certainly could be one of the ten percent that isn't reflexively saying "adjust". I didn't read the whole thread, but it's a pretty common refrain and in most cases silly IMO. Chill

Your post was immediately after I talked about adjusting, so I assumed you were talking to me.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Metalmike on Sun May 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Does anyone have a link so I can watch the Re-run of the Pens-Isles game from today? Is there such thing?

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan
Metalmike
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 05, 2013 11:21 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
columbia wrote:
Some people here for the sake of arguing will say hold the players accountable too. Whatever.

Maybe I should leave the Internet, if hockey players are no longer accountable for wins and losses.

Bylsma is accountable for not making the proper adjustments, but the players still have to execute and that just isn't happening.

execute what? The wrong game plan? I could tell my army to charge that hill, and they could carry out my plan, but if my plan is crap and they get slaughtered by the gunners on the high ground, whose fault is it?

Hockey is an imperfect game. Players are gonna miss passes and shank it on wide open nets and even do something dumb like a no look drop pass at the blue line, coughcough, from time to time. But those arn't reallllllythe issue right now, and thats not "not executing" per say, IMO, and I believe the problems are more systematic.

"Not executing" would be stuff like not playing hard on the back check or simply getting complacent with the lead. If they aren't going to play a full 60 minutes, whatever system is in place is going to be ineffective.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Scott wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
columbia wrote:
Some people here for the sake of arguing will say hold the players accountable too. Whatever.

Maybe I should leave the Internet, if hockey players are no longer accountable for wins and losses.

Bylsma is accountable for not making the proper adjustments, but the players still have to execute and that just isn't happening.

this goes way beyond the game planning. You can be the greatest strategist in the world but if your message isn't getting to the players then it doesn't matter. Even though these players are adults they still all have different learning curves. If they aren't executing what you are saying then you are doing something wrong. You have to find out way they ARENT doing what you are teaching and change something so they do get it.

Right, but it's just simple adjustments that need to be made. Instead of continuing with a hard two-man forecheck when up a few goals, switch to a defensive posture and try not to do anything stupid. The biggest problem I see with the Pens blowing leads is that they try to execute Bylsma's "up tempo" system at half speed, and it doesn't work. Either the players need to keep playing, or the system needs to change to something safer.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:25 pm

The Pens are playing nearly identical to the way they played against the Flyers last playoffs. The only two differences are the Pens aren't head hunting and the Isles aren't as good as that Flyer team. This is a huge issue. How can they let themselves fall back into this again? You have to wonder if the Pens approach to playoff hockey just isn't working. That, plus the Pens are clearly very mentally fragile in the playoffs right now because of what happened last playoff.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 05, 2013 11:34 pm

farnham16 wrote:The Pens are playing nearly identical to the way they played against the Flyers last playoffs. The only two differences are the Pens aren't head hunting and the Isles aren't as good as that Flyer team. This is a huge issue. How can they let themselves fall back into this again? You have to wonder if the Pens approach to playoff hockey just isn't working. That, plus the Pens are clearly very mentally fragile in the playoffs right now because of what happened last playoff.

One would have hoped instead of being mentally fragile after what happened last year, that they still be pi**ed and be determined not to let it happen again. Maybe instead of a coach they need a shrink?
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Sun May 05, 2013 11:55 pm

pens_CT wrote:
farnham16 wrote:The Pens are playing nearly identical to the way they played against the Flyers last playoffs. The only two differences are the Pens aren't head hunting and the Isles aren't as good as that Flyer team. This is a huge issue. How can they let themselves fall back into this again? You have to wonder if the Pens approach to playoff hockey just isn't working. That, plus the Pens are clearly very mentally fragile in the playoffs right now because of what happened last playoff.

One would have hoped instead of being mentally fragile after what happened last year, that they still be pi**ed and be determined not to let it happen again. Maybe instead of a coach they need a shrink?

I can't understand it either. Thank god the Isles PP isn't clicking along like the Flyers was against us last year at a 50% success rate.

8 hrs after the game and I still have a feeling in my body/brain that we lost today. It takes me a minute to realize "oh yeah we won".

By my estimation we have been dominated (yes, dominated) for about 6 of the 9 periods we've played this series.

The Islanders are fast but we've played other fast teams. They are dictating play as if they were the #1 seed. It's like some switch was flipped as soon as the playoffs started. We added Sid but I refuse to believe that our entire system goes down the drain for two full games because he comes back from injury.

The line juggling, missing Neal, not knowing where to put Iggy, benching Bennett, Sutter not showing up, etc...has all contributed to the worst 5-on-5 play we've seen in months. DB has to push the right buttons here and find a solution. Playoffs and tournaments are all about adjustments. You have to have ways to beat fast teams, slow teams, soft teams, tough teams, etc. His job is on the line here, simply swapping 4th liners will not solve the Isles system or get us in gear.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stick_Flex on Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 am

I really miss seeing Cooke throw his weight around. He is just so afraid of getting suspended. He used to be such a force in the playoffs.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Mon May 06, 2013 1:10 am

pens_CT wrote:

I want the team to become better defensively because it seems there is so much talent here, they all just want to run around and score goals. That's on Bylsma, imo.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Mon May 06, 2013 1:12 am

Stick_Flex wrote:I really miss seeing Cooke throw his weight around. He is just so afraid of getting suspended. He used to be such a force in the playoffs.

I thought he had a great game today, penalty notwithstanding.

I've decided that I'm going to stick with Pens in 5 for juju purposes. I'm decreeing they'll undergo a collective cranial sphinterectomy* on Tuesday with a 3-1 Pens workman-like road win in Game 3, and then the Pens close it out in a squeaker at the CEC on Thursday. It'll be difficult, it'll be ugly, it'll be frustrating, it'll be thisclose, but we'll be better for it going forward.

* the clinical term for head-from-arse extraction. The more you know...
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby scals37 on Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 am

Lt. Dish wrote:
Stick_Flex wrote:I really miss seeing Cooke throw his weight around. He is just so afraid of getting suspended. He used to be such a force in the playoffs.

I thought he had a great game today, penalty notwithstanding.

I've decided that I'm going to stick with Pens in 5 for juju purposes. I'm decreeing they'll undergo a collective cranial sphinterectomy* on Tuesday with a 3-1 Pens workman-like road win in Game 3, and then the Pens close it out in a squeaker at the CEC on Thursday. It'll be difficult, it'll be ugly, it'll be frustrating, it'll be thisclose, but we'll be better for it going forward.

* the clinical term for head-from-arse extraction. The more you know...

He threw one BIG hit today in the second period I believe, but the Isles scored shortly after which may have brushed it under the rug in most people's memory
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Mon May 06, 2013 1:44 am

Get Jokinen on 2nd line.. Adams centers 4th line,BB goes to RW.. We need more from 2nd line,not just playing time,.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 06, 2013 1:47 am

Sarcastic wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

I want the team to become better defensively because it seems there is so much talent here, they all just want to run around and score goals. That's on Bylsma, imo.

I think there's quite a bit of truth to that simple statement Sarcastic. The defenseman get caught up in the elite playmaking ability of our talented forwards and start trying to do more than they're capable of offensively.

Thats absolutely Bylsma's responsibility to point it out and keep them honest.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Scott on Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Scott wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
columbia wrote:

this goes way beyond the game planning. You can be the greatest strategist in the world but if your message isn't getting to the players then it doesn't matter. Even though these players are adults they still all have different learning curves. If they aren't executing what you are saying then you are doing something wrong. You have to find out way they ARENT doing what you are teaching and change something so they do get it.

That's BS.

How are these players, who were able to execute the system with one of Malkin or Crosby out, suddenly unable to?

That doesn't sound like the coach's problem, to me. You should be able to add someone like Crosby in there and keep the lineup running. Yet, here we are. How does one lineup play the system to a T, but can't when 1 player is added back into it?

Quick question for you...Is there another team out there? Is that other team being coached and have their own ideas to be successful?

I'm laughing right now because your thinking is exactly how the Pens have been playing. We have Crosby..Malkin..Fleury...Letang..oh and now Morrow..Iginla..so we automatically should win. Right?

Organized sport with humans doesn't work like you are dreaming.

Thank you...drive thru.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stick_Flex on Mon May 06, 2013 2:33 am

Pens4Life wrote:Get Jokinen on 2nd line.. Adams centers 4th line,BB goes to RW.. We need more from 2nd line,not just playing time,.

Yeah Malkin not being a threat is seriously hurting our zone time. We need that second line to come through. I'd like to see JJ - malkin - Neal. That line could do some serious damage.

Morrow and Sutter are not bringing energy to the 3rd line the way Staal and Kennedy did. That energy was contagious and spread onto following shifts. I'm starting to miss Staal.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tim Thomasen on Mon May 06, 2013 3:02 am

Stick_Flex wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Get Jokinen on 2nd line.. Adams centers 4th line,BB goes to RW.. We need more from 2nd line,not just playing time,.

Yeah Malkin not being a threat is seriously hurting our zone time. We need that second line to come through. I'd like to see JJ - malkin - Neal. That line could do some serious damage.

Morrow and Sutter are not bringing energy to the 3rd line the way Staal and Kennedy did. That energy was contagious and spread onto following shifts. I'm starting to miss Staal.

Yeah if only he wanted to stay here and not have a desire to leave to play with his brother. I'm tired of hearing about Staal. It sucks he's gone but its not like we refused to pay him. He wanted out, not worth crying over anymore.

So it sucks that we lost juding by the comments i'm reading, maybe well get them in game four.

Oh wait......
Tim Thomasen
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: You know, it's just not death with dignity if there's an Estevez in the room

Postby jmh470 on Mon May 06, 2013 4:17 am

Were the Pens going for the record for most failed zone clearances in one game?

Absolutely suicidal defending.
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:DB always says the same thing.. 'we have to get to our game' over and over again. "we didnt get to our game enough" was his quote after game 2. Well dan thats kinda hard to do when the Islanders have the puck and are flying into your zone unopposed time after time after time. Banging their heads against a wall would be more productive than continuing to attempt to do what clearly isn't working. Its infuriating.

Sure DB bought a reprieve after many were calling for his head earlier this season after the slow start, but alot of that was due to and reverted back to the loss of control and refusal to adapt last post season. We're seeing it again now.

Of course he says that to the media.

He's not going to give up what they did wrong to the public.

I can't believe people seem to think that what Bylsma says in the post-game is the same thing he says in the locker room. The coaching staff has probably already watched the game 2 or 3 times again by now, analyzing and breaking down each play. At practice today, Bylsma isn't going to say, "okay guys, we need to work on getting to our game."

NYI are not push-overs. They're a very fast, crafty team playing very loose right now, and they look good, frankly.

I haven't watched any of the CHI-MIN series, but I've heard on SXM that MIN has looked very good, and that CHI has looked shaky at times... I wonder if the CHI neighborhood of the internet is losing its collective mind right now, too?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Current One on Mon May 06, 2013 7:13 am

Any word on Orpik or Neal? I'm tired of Disco Dan saying at the beginning of his press conferences "I will not discuss injuries or lineups". What's the big secret? Either they're playing or they're not! The worst was his refusal to discuss Sid coming back last Friday after Sid had confirmed that he was! If the Pens win this series, great for them, an no thanks to Disco Dan. Another series of being outcoached, and by a coach who has no playoff experience!
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins