OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islanders

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL Gameday Thread: Game 3: 5/5/13 Penguins @ Islan

Postby bh on Mon May 06, 2013 7:14 am

First game the Isles were shocked and we steam rolled them.
Second game the Isles upped their efforts in a noticable way and the Pens did not match.
This third game felt like an uphill battle all game. I feel that the Isles had the better play but the good news is that the Pens battled through and won.

I don't know what or who to blame for the way the Pens seem to look pretty bad at times. I think there is a mix of the players trying to do too much, not matching the Isles intensity, and in game adjustments. We definately need to tighten up on defense. I can't believe how many shots they get in prime scoring areas. Where's the shot blocking? Where's the collapse to the net?

I remember watching Iggy in Calgary when they battled the lightning and marveled at how good he was. That was almost 10 years ago and a lot has changed since then. He still has his shot but I've been pretty disapointed in his game since we got him. Not blaming him for the whole team playing bad, but I guess I expected higher level play than what I'm seeing from him. He's killing Malkin's line.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 06, 2013 7:35 am

The Current One wrote:Any word on Orpik or Neal? I'm tired of Disco Dan saying at the beginning of his press conferences "I will not discuss injuries or lineups". What's the big secret? Either they're playing or they're not! The worst was his refusal to discuss Sid coming back last Friday after Sid had confirmed that he was! If the Pens win this series, great for them, an no thanks to Disco Dan. Another series of being outcoached, and by a coach who has no playoff experience!

It's team policy not to discuss injuries during playoffs. ALL the teams do it.

Nah, screw it.

Bylsma, you're a jerk!
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon May 06, 2013 7:39 am

"James Neal has a sore ankle. Let me get a stick and demonstrate to you the most effective way to slash him and possibly reaggravate the injury. You're welcome."
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Mon May 06, 2013 10:14 am

MRandall25 wrote:If Bylsma doesn't "adjust", what was that 2nd period?

So we started dumping the puck in when we actually had it in the neutral zone, rather than carry it in.

The problem lies in actually getting the puck in the neutral zone! Until Bylsma realizes that the Isles are taking away the stretch pass and either picking it off, or forcing icings, we will struggle. When he actually has his forwards back and looking to break out with tape to tape passes, we might be able to break through.

There's a reason the Pens haven't been able to get to their game, and that reason is because we can't gain the zone with speed or a forecheck. When we do get the puck deep, our forecheck is so far behind that the Isles simply move it up ice and now we're all caught deep and chasing again. There it is in a nutshell.

Throw in a headcase Fleury and an enigmatic Malkin, and it's not a recipe for success. Malkin just isn't the dangerous player he once was. You can use all the injury excuses you want, but there's no denying over the last 3-4 years he's been completely up and down. He looks like the best player on the planet at times, then back to a point per game player, or even less than a ppg. We need him to play to his potential. We need Fleury to be more sturdy, we need Iginla to play with Crosby to get the best of him.

...but most of all, we need Bylsma to quit being so stubborn, make some effective changes that will allow us to gain the zone with speed, or with a forecheck that is right on their heels. If Bylsma wants to remain stubborn and stuck in his ways and continue to watch this team fight an uphill battle because of his system, he'll be looking for a job come the summer time.....and frankly, with the teams he's had and the playoff failures he's had, he's not exactly dressing up his resume very well. Sure the Cup looks great, but what happened all these other years with all the talent you had?

His playoff coaching is a serious issue, and he's being exposed again.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Scott wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
That's BS.

How are these players, who were able to execute the system with one of Malkin or Crosby out, suddenly unable to?

That doesn't sound like the coach's problem, to me. You should be able to add someone like Crosby in there and keep the lineup running. Yet, here we are. How does one lineup play the system to a T, but can't when 1 player is added back into it?

Quick question for you...Is there another team out there? Is that other team being coached and have their own ideas to be successful?

I'm laughing right now because your thinking is exactly how the Pens have been playing. We have Crosby..Malkin..Fleury...Letang..oh and now Morrow..Iginla..so we automatically should win. Right?

Organized sport with humans doesn't work like you are dreaming.

Thank you...drive thru.

Where the hell did I say we should automatically win?

Apparently you missed the point, and you could've gone without the snark.

I'm not saying ANY of what you think I'm saying. I'm simply stating that the Pens play goes to **** when Crosby or Malkin returns to the lineup after they've been injured. They can hold a team like the Bruins to 4 goals in 3 games, but suddenly they lose all semblance of defense because Sid is back in the lineup.

I don't even know what you're trying to say, other than I know that what you think I said is not what I actually said. Learn to read.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Scott on Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Scott wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
That's BS.

How are these players, who were able to execute the system with one of Malkin or Crosby out, suddenly unable to?

That doesn't sound like the coach's problem, to me. You should be able to add someone like Crosby in there and keep the lineup running. Yet, here we are. How does one lineup play the system to a T, but can't when 1 player is added back into it?

Quick question for you...Is there another team out there? Is that other team being coached and have their own ideas to be successful?

I'm laughing right now because your thinking is exactly how the Pens have been playing. We have Crosby..Malkin..Fleury...Letang..oh and now Morrow..Iginla..so we automatically should win. Right?

Organized sport with humans doesn't work like you are dreaming.

Thank you...drive thru.

Where the hell did I say we should automatically win?

Apparently you missed the point, and you could've gone without the snark.

I'm not saying ANY of what you think I'm saying. I'm simply stating that the Pens play goes to **** when Crosby or Malkin returns to the lineup after they've been injured. They can hold a team like the Bruins to 4 goals in 3 games, but suddenly they lose all semblance of defense because Sid is back in the lineup.

I don't even know what you're trying to say, other than I know that what you think I said is not what I actually said. Learn to read.

I did read it. read it twice to be sure. The team can be rolling along without a Malkin or Crosby or both. Insert them and we should add 60 percent of our current goal scored average. Logic would say so. It doesn't work that way. Those players are a big piece of the team. When they come back the red carpet gets rolled back out for them. THen comes the trickle down impact to all the other players on what line ad what position. Seriously the only player never impacted with Crosby or Malkin out is Sutter. He plays where he plays regardless who is doing what.

That by itself can upset the apple cart. Throw in the other part of the other team trying to win the game, game plan, etc...etc..suddenly things are not smooth as silk.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Mon May 06, 2013 5:42 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Right, but it's just simple adjustments that need to be made. Instead of continuing with a hard two-man forecheck when up a few goals, switch to a defensive posture and try not to do anything stupid. The biggest problem I see with the Pens blowing leads is that they try to execute Bylsma's "up tempo" system at half speed, and it doesn't work. Either the players need to keep playing, or the system needs to change to something safer.

excellent point. I don't think they try and execute the system at half speed. I believe that is all the speed they have left because Bylsma hockey is 110 mph in a car that can only go 100 mph. They are humans and humans get tired. Teams that wait till later in the game to start attacking are the ones who give us the most problems because we have exhausted ourselves trying to play 110 mph hockey every shift.

Let me add it is the most fun to watch for sure. We watch many games all year with game canter live and with zero bias thinking the Pens by far are the most exciting team to watch. #2 was the Coyotes. They just played zero defense all year.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins