How many of you own a droid?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I have an upgrade in October and my phone is acting all funky due to some mild water damage. Can't wait to upgrade. Maybe they will have a note3 out by then ?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,265
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:05 pm

After weeks of dealing with browser crashes galore on the 1st gen iPad, I finally wore down Mrs Tif...... we are getting an Asus TF700. Woot!
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,576
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:11 pm

mac5155 wrote:I have an upgrade in October and my phone is acting all funky due to some mild water damage. Can't wait to upgrade. Maybe they will have a note3 out by then ?


My one friend has the Note 2, that thing is huge. Half the size of a kindle. Felt really weird to hold to your head to talk on.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,505
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I've always been partial to Motorola phones since Android came out, though I think that I am going to go a different route next time. Currently have the original Bionic, and it is super slow 75% of the time (plus its only 16 months old). Not sure if I want to get whatever the newest Samsung Galaxy is (wife has the s3 and she loves it), or go with an iphone. I have a 1st gen and 3rd gen ipad, so I am used to both ios and adroid operating systems. Decisions, decisions.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,440
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby eddysnake on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm

tifosi77 wrote:After weeks of dealing with browser crashes galore on the 1st gen iPad, I finally wore down Mrs Tif...... we are getting an Asus TF700. Woot!


real nice, i've held us thus far, but that's the one circled if I go a tablet route. the google nexus tablet is next in line.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,654
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby mac5155 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I have an upgrade in October and my phone is acting all funky due to some mild water damage. Can't wait to upgrade. Maybe they will have a note3 out by then ?


My one friend has the Note 2, that thing is huge. Half the size of a kindle. Felt really weird to hold to your head to talk on.


I literally use like, 30 minutes of phone calling a month. And when I do I'm usually in my car over bluetooth. I dont use my phone for calling hardly ever.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,265
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Kovy27 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I have an upgrade in October and my phone is acting all funky due to some mild water damage. Can't wait to upgrade. Maybe they will have a note3 out by then ?


My one friend has the Note 2, that thing is huge. Half the size of a kindle. Felt really weird to hold to your head to talk on.


I literally use like, 30 minutes of phone calling a month. And when I do I'm usually in my car over bluetooth. I dont use my phone for calling hardly ever.


I don't use my phone at all. I think I have a total of 7 minutes this month. It is all either text or e-mail.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,505
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:16 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I've always been partial to Motorola phones since Android came out, though I think that I am going to go a different route next time.


If you have a problem with android, you should have been on mfc last night, as one of the developers was there throwing thousands of dollars at a girl he likes. Could have told him your, er, concerns. Some guy asked him to give him a job, lol.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,286
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby schreibdog on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 am

Samsung Galaxy S4 pre-orders begin today for Verizon...$249 with a $50 rebate for the 16GB. Not sure if they'll be offering a 32 or 64GB phone or not.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 am
Location: South Park, PA

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 am

schreibdog wrote:Samsung Galaxy S4 pre-orders begin today for Verizon...$249 with a $50 rebate for the 16GB. Not sure if they'll be offering a 32 or 64GB phone or not.


This offer doesn't seem to be for existing customers. It's telling me I have to pay full price.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,411
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby schreibdog on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 am

Sorry, I should have mentioned it's for those that have the discount for upgrades. If you're not eligible you will have to pay full price, I believe.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 am
Location: South Park, PA

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby eddysnake on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 am

I had an update this morning on my razr m. Already had jellybean, not sure what this was.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,654
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:38 am

schreibdog wrote:Sorry, I should have mentioned it's for those that have the discount for upgrades. If you're not eligible you will have to pay full price, I believe.


That's what I thought. My discount isn't available until June...Boo!
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,411
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby schreibdog on Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 am

llipgh2 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:Sorry, I should have mentioned it's for those that have the discount for upgrades. If you're not eligible you will have to pay full price, I believe.


That's what I thought. My discount isn't available until June...Boo!

Well, they won't start shipping the phone until the end of May anyway so you won't miss it by much.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:16 am
Location: South Park, PA

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:33 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:I have always been partial to the HTC android phones. I've used four different models and liked them all. Though I have to admit I still hate the touch screen. Using it on the One S since last fall and I still can't type.


The Eris was my first 'smartphone', though it was hardly smart at all, and a Thunderbolt, which I still use now. I have a Galaxy Nexus now, which is my favorite phone by far, and am still thinking about waiting to see if the Xperia Z lands with VZW in the US to renew... though, I think I may switch to TMobile since they have the best devices, plus I can sell the used devices and get a less expensive phone more often a bit easier than with AT&T or VZW.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,203
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby the wicked child on Tue May 07, 2013 9:09 am

So the Facebook app added events to my calendar... but all the birthdays show up a day early. WTF.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,397
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 am

the wicked child wrote:So the Facebook app added events to my calendar... but all the birthdays show up a day early. WTF.

Wat...!? Did you have to enable something to add events to your calendar? I don't want the birthdays of random people from elementary school on my calendar....Then again, maybe I shouldn't be friends with them on FB. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,005
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby the wicked child on Tue May 07, 2013 9:16 am

I don't know. It's probably a setting. I'll have to investigate and turn it off because it's pretty annoying.

Looks like it is under calendars. I don't remember checking that, but whatever... it's off now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,397
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:51 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
schreibdog wrote:Sorry, I should have mentioned it's for those that have the discount for upgrades. If you're not eligible you will have to pay full price, I believe.


That's what I thought. My discount isn't available until June...Boo!


May 16th.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,505
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Kovy27 on Thu May 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Got my S4 yesterday. So far, I'm loving it. S3 owners...any recommended apps or customizations that you recommend?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,505
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby the wicked child on Wed May 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Got an update for my S3 from Verizon today. Didn't read the whole list of features, but now apparently I can run 2 apps side by side... One window on top, one on the bottom.

Kinda neat... Not sure how much I'll use it.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,397
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Ben Klingston on Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm

Dumb question, but I am still nursing a ~3 yr, going on 4 yr, old Droid. Still functioning pretty well, though it's getting beat up. I've been month-to-month on my contract for over a year, and been eligible for my 'new every 2' renewal/credit towards a new phone. However, I'm still grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Mind you, I don't use a lot of data - I can't take my cell phone to work with me, so I'm mainly just using it during the evenings and weekends for twitter, some browsing, email, texting. However, I'd rather not renew/get on a new contract and forced onto a limited data plan (there's a chance I may be allowed to take my cell phone in to work some day). Sooo, if I'm not looking for the most-brand-spanking new smartphone can I just buy a new-old phone off Ebay (marked as a Verizon phone) and take it in to a Verizon store to get activated, without actually renewing my contract? Again, this is probably a dumb question, but I've always just renewed for each new phone.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Meeting Mario at Center Ice

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby sprtn55 on Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:Dumb question, but I am still nursing a ~3 yr, going on 4 yr, old Droid. Still functioning pretty well, though it's getting beat up. I've been month-to-month on my contract for over a year, and been eligible for my 'new every 2' renewal/credit towards a new phone. However, I'm still grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Mind you, I don't use a lot of data - I can't take my cell phone to work with me, so I'm mainly just using it during the evenings and weekends for twitter, some browsing, email, texting. However, I'd rather not renew/get on a new contract and forced onto a limited data plan (there's a chance I may be allowed to take my cell phone in to work some day). Sooo, if I'm not looking for the most-brand-spanking new smartphone can I just buy a new-old phone off Ebay (marked as a Verizon phone) and take it in to a Verizon store to get activated, without actually renewing my contract? Again, this is probably a dumb question, but I've always just renewed for each new phone.

I was in the same situation as you about a year ago and yes, you can buy a phone outright and activate yourself to keep unlimited data and remain on the month-to-month. When looking for phones on eBay, make sure it has a clean ESN which means it can be activated on Verizon. Also, you can activate a phone on Verizon's website yourself so you shouldnt even have to go into the store.
sprtn55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby Ben Klingston on Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 pm

sprtn55 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:Dumb question, but I am still nursing a ~3 yr, going on 4 yr, old Droid. Still functioning pretty well, though it's getting beat up. I've been month-to-month on my contract for over a year, and been eligible for my 'new every 2' renewal/credit towards a new phone. However, I'm still grandfathered on the unlimited data plan. Mind you, I don't use a lot of data - I can't take my cell phone to work with me, so I'm mainly just using it during the evenings and weekends for twitter, some browsing, email, texting. However, I'd rather not renew/get on a new contract and forced onto a limited data plan (there's a chance I may be allowed to take my cell phone in to work some day). Sooo, if I'm not looking for the most-brand-spanking new smartphone can I just buy a new-old phone off Ebay (marked as a Verizon phone) and take it in to a Verizon store to get activated, without actually renewing my contract? Again, this is probably a dumb question, but I've always just renewed for each new phone.

I was in the same situation as you about a year ago and yes, you can buy a phone outright and activate yourself to keep unlimited data and remain on the month-to-month. When looking for phones on eBay, make sure it has a clean ESN which means it can be activated on Verizon. Also, you can activate a phone on Verizon's website yourself so you shouldnt even have to go into the store.


Sweet thanks. What is an ESN, and how do I tell whether it has one/is clean? Is that something the eBay description or whatever will provide?
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Meeting Mario at Center Ice

Re: How many of you own a droid?

Postby sprtn55 on Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 am

Ben Klingston wrote:Sweet thanks. What is an ESN, and how do I tell whether it has one/is clean? Is that something the eBay description or whatever will provide?

Electronic Serial Number. Good phone listings on eBay should mention it, if it doesnt I would ask the seller for it and there are some sites out there you can use to make sure it is valid.

If the ESN is bad, the phone is most likely stolen and still activated on another account which means once you wouldnt be able to activate it on yours.
sprtn55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kovyfalcon27, RJW76 and 9 guests

e-mail