Restaurant Recommendations?

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Restaurant Recommendations?

Postby columbia on Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 am

Nah, he just got sick of them.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Ben Klingston on Tue May 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Ok, residents and former residents of the South Hills - what's the best local/mom&pop pizza place around? I'm in Bethel Park, on the Bethel Church/Rt 88 intersection area. Tried Binali/Vicenza's just down 88, and it has been a bit bland.

Giovanni's in Mt Lebo is great, but a bit of a drive.

Danny's Pizza is meh... I think it's got more nostalgia than anything fore people.

Coming from my old digs, I was a Mama Pepino's guy... I like traditional, but also like a good white /spinach pizza also.

Recommendations?

Also looking for a good neighborhood bar/tavern...
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 pm

Is Big Jims in the Run any good
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue May 07, 2013 10:12 pm

I worked at Danny's in high school.
If you're getting the pizza, then you're doing it wrong.

It's all about the hoagies.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 am

Sadly, I think Mmm Mmm Pizza is your best bet. Luciano's isn't bad either.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 am

is the dannys columbia referring to the crappy shack on the side of the road on 51?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:is the dannys columbia referring to the crappy shack on the side of the road on 51?

The one on Route 88....but it's the same owner/menu.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby schreibdog on Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 am

I'm a big fan of Pittzarella on 88 near Library.
schreibdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 08, 2013 10:22 am

columbia wrote:I worked at Danny's in high school.
If you're getting the pizza, then you're doing it wrong.

It's all about the hoagies.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby drnort on Wed May 08, 2013 11:12 am

I have now ordered from the new Italian Oven on Route 8 in Gibsonia 3 times. Great food all 3 times. I dont believe its tied to any other Italian Ovens. It is its own restaurant and menu. http://demo.italianoven.com/

Highly recommended. To this point, have only ordered pizza. Not sure about other items on menu.
drnort
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm

YaYa's Pizza in Library is a solid choice. Consistently awesome.

Edit: Moving from the Pizza topic, Rice Inn on 88 in Bethel Park is absolutely fantastic. Its in the old Pizza Hut in front of Wal-Mart. Some of the best Chinese food and sushi I have ever had.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BadHands71 on Thu May 09, 2013 6:17 am

Ben Klingston wrote:Ok, residents and former residents of the South Hills - what's the best local/mom&pop pizza place around? I'm in Bethel Park, on the Bethel Church/Rt 88 intersection area. Tried Binali/Vicenza's just down 88, and it has been a bit bland.

It's been a little while since I was getting pizza out that way but my parents still live there and they like Red Onion. I think they have the best pizza in Bethel. They are right on South Park Rd, just past the Subway. It's takeout/delivery only but their pizza is really good. Mmm Mmm is pretty solid too.

And I agree, you don't get anything at Danny's besides hoagies. Anything else is just a waste of time. Come to think of it, I still need to get the hubby a Danny's hoagie. Priority when we get home. :thumb: Darn, now I want a hoagie from there.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 am

BadHands71 wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:Ok, residents and former residents of the South Hills - what's the best local/mom&pop pizza place around? I'm in Bethel Park, on the Bethel Church/Rt 88 intersection area. Tried Binali/Vicenza's just down 88, and it has been a bit bland.

It's been a little while since I was getting pizza out that way but my parents still live there and they like Red Onion. I think they have the best pizza in Bethel. They are right on South Park Rd, just past the Subway. It's takeout/delivery only but their pizza is really good. Mmm Mmm is pretty solid too.

And I agree, you don't get anything at Danny's besides hoagies. Anything else is just a waste of time. Come to think of it, I still need to get the hubby a Danny's hoagie. Priority when we get home. :thumb: Darn, now I want a hoagie from there.

Red Onion's hoagies are really good as well.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Thu May 09, 2013 8:10 am

Danny's Pizza is meh... I think it's got more nostalgia than anything fore people.

Coming from my old digs, I was a Mama Pepino's guy... I like traditional, but also like a good white /spinach pizza also.

Recommendations?

Dude I moved to Bethel a year ago and I am pretty much searching for a bar & good non-chain pizza. Usually we default to Mm Mmm Pizza due to our proximity to South Park Rd but it's not what I'm looking for due to its chain status but its ok in a pinch. No idea where to drink around here. Barley & Hops is good but pricey & small and has too much of a regulars only feel to me. All the taverns here seem to be a fraternal order of something/vfw, old man style-close early, or a TGi Fridays/Red Robin. HALP!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 09, 2013 8:16 am

How close are you to mcmurray? I would go to the sharp edge in peters township.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 09, 2013 8:27 am

I was never of legal age, when I lived in Bethel Park.....so I have no idea about the bars.

Spoiler:
And you're probably not interested in advice on drinking beer in the woods, right about the South Park skating rink.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 am

Troy Loney wrote:How close are you to mcmurray? I would go to the sharp edge in peters township.

Pretty close to 19/UsC, live right on the edge near McMurray Rd. that's a great idea I never thought of!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 am

columbia wrote:I was never of legal age, when I lived in Bethel Park.....so I have no idea about the bars.

Spoiler:
And you're probably not interested in advice on drinking beer in the woods, right about the South Park skating rink.

Haha we used to do the same thing but on the other side of Corrigan by the golf course
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 am

jimjom wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:How close are you to mcmurray? I would go to the sharp edge in peters township.

Pretty close to 19/UsC, live right on the edge near McMurray Rd. that's a great idea I never thought of!

:thumb:

They have .45 wings all night monday and .45 bites all night tuesday.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Fri May 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions on the Bethel area pizza. I will bookmark this page and methodically go through them all, then come back and praise the person who gave the best advice. :)

The Pittzarella intrigued me a bit, because I didn't even know they had the same chain in West Mifflin by my old stomping grounds. Also, will have to try Red Onion, as they are the closest and just over the hill, it seems.

As far as Danny's, I will agree, I've had both hoagie and pizza and the hoagie was good, nothing special, but very solid. I've also heard folks say that it is now run by a different family and quality has gone down over the years.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 pm

jimjom wrote:

Recommendations?

Dude I moved to Bethel a year ago and I am pretty much searching for a bar & good non-chain pizza. Usually we default to Mm Mmm Pizza due to our proximity to South Park Rd but it's not what I'm looking for due to its chain status but its ok in a pinch. No idea where to drink around here. Barley & Hops is good but pricey & small and has too much of a regulars only feel to me. All the taverns here seem to be a fraternal order of something/vfw, old man style-close early, or a TGi Fridays/Red Robin. HALP!

Well, see above on the pizza joints. It sounds like you are closer to McMurray than me - I'm up in the Bethel Church Rd area. South Hills Village is literally 5 min away but chain chain chain - bars and restaurants. Funny story - was talking to guy at work who lives in Bethel about bars in the area... mentioned 'Hey, that Tennyson Lodge on 88 seems like it may be a cool old neighborhood bar - and it never seems too busy' My buddy: 'Dude, that's a topless bar, and not a good one at that!' Whouldathunk there was such an establishment in a nice little community burb like Bethel...
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 10, 2013 5:27 pm

They do have bareaoke there.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 5:40 pm

The Tennyson has been there for a long time.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Clifford's Restaurant in Evans City. Everything is home made- even the rolls. Place is small and cozy, so reservations are almost always needed.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BadHands71 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 pm

jimjom wrote:

Recommendations?

One place to check out in bethel for drinks that's not a chain is Level 20. It's over by walmart and pep boys on 88. I was only there when it first opened so I'm not sure exactly how it's grown but I do know that it's pretty crowded most nights that i've driven by on the way to/from my parents. I remember that they had a nice draft selection and some good liquor choices. At the time I went, their menu was limited but I know it's expanded. The food we had was pretty solid though. May be worth checking out.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to NHR