Emergency GDT Game 4 Pens Isles 05/07/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Emergency GDT Game 4 Pens Isles 05/07/2013

Postby Rocco on Tue May 07, 2013 11:28 pm

bh wrote:This team is just so crazy. They are bat freaking in the head crazy. When pressure is high they collectively poop the bed.

They have no marbles.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bioshock on Tue May 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Dave Molinari ‏@MolinariPG

Defenseman Matt Niskanen, on correcting the Penguins' many defensive failings: "We know what we have to do. It’s a matter of doing it."

No Mr. Niskanen... you are wrong. You don't know what to do because clearly you don't know how to execute it...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Anyone remember Vokouns save percentage for bank shots and behind the net shots?
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cojac on Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Thursday I start Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy, get the puck in deep and cycle. Vokoun in net and the rest of my lineup would be:

Dupuis-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Jokinen-Adams

I went out on a limb by putting players on their natural wing.

Orpik-Martin
Eaton-Letang
Murray-Niskanen
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bh on Tue May 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Iginla looks like he's coasting out there. I just can't believe that this is the same player that played on the Flames. He has a shot, that's it. No ability to work the boards, no speed, no forchecking ability. Just a great shot. Really disappointed in him.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby novapen on Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm

bh wrote:This team is just so crazy. They are bat freaking in the head crazy. When pressure is high they collectively poop the bed.

This is the baffling part. It is the same core group that won the cup, so why can't they handle the pressure now?
novapen

Postby Bioshock on Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Kharlamov wrote:Anyone remember Vokouns save percentage for bank shots and behind the net shots?

Gotta be better than .000
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GDR on Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm

bh wrote:Iginla looks like he's coasting out there. I just can't believe that this is the same player that played on the Flames. He has a shot, that's it. No ability to work the boards, no speed, no forchecking ability. Just a great shot. Really disappointed in him.

way too many miles on the odometer being a one man team.
GDR
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 pm

GDR wrote:
bh wrote:Iginla looks like he's coasting out there. I just can't believe that this is the same player that played on the Flames. He has a shot, that's it. No ability to work the boards, no speed, no forchecking ability. Just a great shot. Really disappointed in him.

way too many miles on the odometer being a one man team.

Also might help putting him at his natural position. Left side ain't workin'.
Last edited by Badger Bob on Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badger Bob
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:32 pm

There is just something really wrong with this team.

It could be that Bylsma's system just isn't ideal for playoff hockey. Or it could be that the Pens are fragile right now because of recent playoff failures. Or perhaps this group, and I mean the core guys (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF, Orpik) just aren't meshing anymore. The fact that the same crap is happening again that happened just a year ago is so disturbing.

I mean, they had all offseason to think about what happened against Philly. They brought in proven veterans and have talked about knowing what they need to do for a year now. And this is the result? It is beyond pathetic what we are seeing out on the ice.

This series should be done in 5 games. The Pens are so much more talented and experienced, yet the Islanders show more of both. I honestly don't know what to think anymore. The whole system is falling apart before our eyes here guys. And if they don't turn it around quick, BIG changes need to happen.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
skullman80 wrote:
GDR wrote:Nabokov said the same thing

Can you blame them? The proof stares everyone in the face when they look at tape.

That has to be humiliating to MAF.

As humiliating as last year was, he's topped it this year.

Honest to god, I'm a MAF fan (big time) and I've lost faith in him.

Old time "Yinzers" will know what I'm talking about when I say this, but MAF is the Penguin version of Steve Blass. (just make sure you give me credit if you repeat this) :)

wiki:
A condition referred to as "Steve Blass disease" has become a part of baseball lexicon. The "diagnosis" is applied to talented players who inexplicably and permanently seem to lose their ability to throw a baseball accurately. :P

So, not quite a "Steve Blass" because he's completely fine until the playoffs come. He's more akin to an Evgeni Nabokov or Roberto Luongo - a goalie that does quite well in the regular season only to fall apart in the playoffs.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:
DudeMan2766 wrote:A possible Game 6/7 Saturday/Sunday is terrifying me

Ditto I have a soundgarden show on Sunday.

I have Mothers Day. :pop: :slug:

Sorry. I have no idea about peoples family stuff. Not really to you FC, but that could sound like a mean joke to the wrong person.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 pm

This is how out to lunch the team is: Kris Letang CROSSCHECKING the linesman...

Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Bioshock wrote:This is how out to lunch the team is: Kris Letang CROSSCHECKING the linesman...

Wow. Could this guy be any dumber?

He's already the King of unnecesary icings
Last edited by DudeMan2766 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm sorry but we need someone to bash Okposo's face in.

We need to announce ourselves as the more physical team.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 pm

Kris Letang? Is follows up getting nominated for a Norris with perhaps the worst effort I've ever seen for a dman. He was a disgrace to the team tonight. Dozen turnovers, jumping into the offensive zone on a PK, and cross checking a linesman?

If we have to trade one big name guy let it be him. He's a such a freaking wildcard.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I'm sorry but we need someone to bash Okposo's face in.

We need to announce ourselves as the more physical team.

You can't hit when you are constantly in chase mode. In our D zone we are chasing the puck around and running around trying to get it out of our zone. There is never a chance to plaster somebody to the boards. The Islanders are throwing every puck at the net hoping to get a bounce. There is no cycle or offensive "play" that we can disrupt with physical play or banging bodies. It's just constantly chasing the puck and trying to run out to the point to block point shots. The Islanders get the rebound, send it back to the point or try a bad angle shot of MAFs legs.

In the Offensive zone we can't possess the puck through the neutral zone so we are dumping the puck in from within like 1 foot of the red line. This results in bad dumps that are not properly sent in or "aimed". Usually you can dump the puck in to a specific spot that results in your linemate DESTROYING somebody into the glass. When you are fighting tooth and nail to simply get the puck to center ice, all that precision dumping goes out the window. Our forwards seem happy as hell just to get the red line and dump without getting scored on. The hitting and forecheck is secondary unfortunately. Perhaps if they weren't spending 1:30 in their own zone chasing loose pucks they'd have more energy on offense.

Bylsma has a quote yesterday that was PERFECT. We are "punting" the ball whenever we get it. The Penguins are punting the puck when we finally get it out of our zone. When we get the puck, we send it back into their zone as if to say "phew, we survived, here's the puck...try to score again I dare ya!" Typically you get he puck and say "OK, now it's our turn to score." There simply hasn't been enough of that in this series. We get the puck and the fact that we finally retrieved it...finally got it away from them....that we have a sense of accomplishment.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Tue May 07, 2013 11:47 pm

I bench Letang after seeing the video. Jesus...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:47 pm

There is just something really wrong with this team.

It could be that Bylsma's system just isn't ideal for playoff hockey. Or it could be that the Pens are fragile right now because of recent playoff failures. Or perhaps this group, and I mean the core guys (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, MAF, Orpik) just aren't meshing anymore. The fact that the same crap is happening again that happened just a year ago is so disturbing.

I mean, they had all offseason to think about what happened against Philly. They brought in proven veterans and have talked about knowing what they need to do for a year now. And this is the result? It is beyond pathetic what we are seeing out on the ice.

This series should be done in 5 games. The Pens are so much more talented and experienced, yet the Islanders show more of both. I honestly don't know what to think anymore. The whole system is falling apart before our eyes here guys. And if they don't turn it around quick, BIG changes need to happen.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue May 07, 2013 11:51 pm

farnham16 wrote:Kris Letang? Is follows up getting nominated for a Norris with perhaps the worst effort I've ever seen for a dman. He was a disgrace to the team tonight. Dozen turnovers, jumping into the offensive zone on a PK, and cross checking a linesman?

If we have to trade one big name guy let it be him. He's a such a freaking wildcard.

Letang to Nashville for Barry Trotz
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens2595 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:51 pm

The U wrote:I've stopped celebrating Penguin goals because I know the Islanders are going to inevitably score next and take over play.

That Penguin PP was really a missed opportunity to go up by 2 goals.

At least if we went up by 2 goals we would have know the fate earlier in the game.
Pens2595
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Bioshock wrote:I bench Letang after seeing the video. Jesus...

Any real coach would. Disgraceful act by Letang. They should revoke his Norris nomination after that.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 am

Our bottom 3 dmen include a guy nobody wanted, a guy a playoff team was happy to trade and a guy a team forced us to take to complete a trade. Our top 3 include an injured guy who was on the ice for 2.5 goals per game last playoffs, a fast skating mistake machine, and one solid player who isn't physical.

one of them gets hurt we can replace them with a concrete skates fighter or a hockey air head.

Anyone think maybe just maybe our defense just sucks?
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 12:03 am

Sarcastic wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
That has to be humiliating to MAF.

As humiliating as last year was, he's topped it this year.

Honest to god, I'm a MAF fan (big time) and I've lost faith in him.

Old time "Yinzers" will know what I'm talking about when I say this, but MAF is the Penguin version of Steve Blass. (just make sure you give me credit if you repeat this) :)

wiki:
A condition referred to as "Steve Blass disease" has become a part of baseball lexicon. The "diagnosis" is applied to talented players who inexplicably and permanently seem to lose their ability to throw a baseball accurately. :P

I'm an old-timer who knew this one! Woo. :cry:

Guys, I'm really bummed out. Like I said, my "never too high, never too low" rule has been shattered this series.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 am

farnham16 wrote:
Bioshock wrote:I bench Letang after seeing the video. Jesus...

Any real coach would. Disgraceful act by Letang. They should revoke his Norris nomination after that.

I have the guy's jersey and regret I bought it after seeing that.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins