Emergency GDT Game 4 Pens Isles 05/07/2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Emergency GDT Game 4 Pens Isles 05/07/2013

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 08, 2013 2:13 am

The U wrote:
MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I'm sorry but we need someone to bash Okposo's face in.

We need to announce ourselves as the more physical team.

You can't hit when you are constantly in chase mode. In our D zone we are chasing the puck around and running around trying to get it out of our zone. There is never a chance to plaster somebody to the boards. The Islanders are throwing every puck at the net hoping to get a bounce. There is no cycle or offensive "play" that we can disrupt with physical play or banging bodies. It's just constantly chasing the puck and trying to run out to the point to block point shots. The Islanders get the rebound, send it back to the point or try a bad angle shot of MAFs legs.

In the Offensive zone we can't possess the puck through the neutral zone so we are dumping the puck in from within like 1 foot of the red line. This results in bad dumps that are not properly sent in or "aimed". Usually you can dump the puck in to a specific spot that results in your linemate DESTROYING somebody into the glass. When you are fighting tooth and nail to simply get the puck to center ice, all that precision dumping goes out the window. Our forwards seem happy as hell just to get the red line and dump without getting scored on. The hitting and forecheck is secondary unfortunately. Perhaps if they weren't spending 1:30 in their own zone chasing loose pucks they'd have more energy on offense.

Bylsma has a quote yesterday that was PERFECT. We are "punting" the ball whenever we get it. The Penguins are punting the puck when we finally get it out of our zone. When we get the puck, we send it back into their zone as if to say "phew, we survived, here's the puck...try to score again I dare ya!" Typically you get he puck and say "OK, now it's our turn to score." There simply hasn't been enough of that in this series. We get the puck and the fact that we finally retrieved it...finally got it away from them....that we have a sense of accomplishment.

That is exactly what is happening, U. You nailed it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 2:19 am

Good stuff U. I pointed this out last game as well. We are letting them get to the puck in our end then chasing. We are over pursuing and the Isles are just playing hockey 101. Put the puck to open ice. They beat us there and create chances.

The punting thing is yes and no. I agree but we are also causing a lot of problems with the stretch passes. Ny knows they are coming and sitting on them like a free safety. After 10 periods of failed breakouts, the Pens finally started skating it out in the third. Problem was that it was at turtle-esque speed and NY was taking it away. 10 periods for them to see what everyone else saw two games ago.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby smoothmoneyb on Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 am

farnham16 wrote:The more I think about it I really think DB is going back with MAF in Game 5. I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't think he's going to pull him. He'll be too afraid of what might happen to him because of it.

Whether DB goes with MAF or Vokoun, if the Pen's lose this series then he is a gonner. So with that said, it really comes down to who he honestly thinks has the best chance to win. I'm expecting Vokoun, but wouldn't necessarily be shocked to see Fleury in there..
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Scott on Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 am

knives of ice wrote:geno had 1 horrible turnover that cost us a goal.

he is leading the nhl in playoff scoring and had 2 points in every game.

that turnover was inexcusable, but through 2 periods he was the best player on the ice by far.

there is a ton of blame to go around, i just can't get that mad at geno when others have been much worse - like our norris trophy dman and #29

You must have looked at the box score only and caught a highlight of the giveaway. Malkin was jekyl and hyde all game long. One shift he was by far the best player. The next shift he was making ill advised passes. Did you happen to see him on several power plays? His passing was not only poor in the decision department but the execution of the passes was silly. Then the frustration of getting hit legit and grabbing the player to take a penalty. Then the DUMB giveaway that led to a goal directly. He can't chip that puck there up the boards and get it out? Nope. I like Malkin as much as any hockey fan but tonight his plays tonight were dumb. No other ways to put it. Dumb.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 am

We *finally* got to see the complete lineup on ice together and that was the result? :face:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby bh on Wed May 08, 2013 7:20 am

We were missing TK.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 7:54 am

So was that the first game we lost after leading in the 3rd period?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stevens25 on Wed May 08, 2013 8:17 am

I don't have the time or energy (thanks Iron City) to see if this has been discussed. Matt Cooke is tied for second in the playoffs with 6 minor penalties. I don't care what you say he brings to this team, this is not the time to play undisciplined hockey. (Looking at you Malkin-who gets a pass due to his offense). Cooke should be benched for game 5.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed May 08, 2013 8:22 am

Stevens25 wrote:I don't have the time or energy (thanks Iron City) to see if this has been discussed. Matt Cooke is tied for second in the playoffs with 6 minor penalties. I don't care what you say he brings to this team, this is not the time to play undisciplined hockey. (Looking at you Malkin-who gets a pass due to his offense). Cooke should be benched for game 5.

Well for one thing Cooke isn't playing undisciplined hockey, the calls on him have been absolute jokes.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Back in 1991 and 1992, those teams had trouble in the early rounds too. Remember, the Isles have been playing playoff type hockey for several weeks now, fighting to simply make the playoffs.

The series is 2-2. Now it's a best of 3 with the Pens having home ice. Make a change in goal, a lineup change or two (Kennedy or Vitale should play), and move forward. No big deal.

Man, I hope you're right! :thumb:
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 am

Hold out hope. We got them where we want them. We're going to get to our game.

Wait. Am I too late?
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby k0la on Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am

I really thought Pens would make a statement after barely grabbing the last win and concentrate on defense for this game, but once again Islanders managed to get their speed and physicality going. They've been doing so great all season long not losing leads so this playoff series really have me baffled.

Next game is huge. If they're gonna be a contender they have to be able to all turn in to that game. They might be able to win this game and even the series with sloppy play because of Nabokov and special teams, but I don't see them going far if they can't take control of one single game besides the first one.
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 am

DelPen wrote:
Stevens25 wrote:I don't have the time or energy (thanks Iron City) to see if this has been discussed. Matt Cooke is tied for second in the playoffs with 6 minor penalties. I don't care what you say he brings to this team, this is not the time to play undisciplined hockey. (Looking at you Malkin-who gets a pass due to his offense). Cooke should be benched for game 5.

Well for one thing Cooke isn't playing undisciplined hockey, the calls on him have been absolute jokes.

a few. but there was no reason for him to ram nabokov last night. i don't care if he flopped - that's what goalies are supposed to do when someone plows into them.

bench whoever you can tomorrow night and play vokoun, vitale and kennedy. even if you can't wrangle malkin and letang, you send a message to the rest of the country club.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed May 08, 2013 9:04 am

Practice is optional today! Way to hold the team accountable!
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Inkio on Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 am

Bioshock wrote:Practice is optional today! Way to hold the team accountable!

This can't be true.. dear lord...
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 08, 2013 9:12 am

You can complain about a lot with Bylsma, however, I am not so sure this is one of those things. I'm sure mostly everyone will show up to skate today.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:35 am

Even if that is the case, it's still crazy. Every player should be required to show up. There should be no option. Hurt or not. Just lunacy. Get the F out there for however long it takes and fix things.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 am

It better be some sort of test. Don't show? Scratched.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Henry Hank on Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am

I don't think it really matters if everyone shows up. I'd hope that every one on the team has enough pride to show up to an optional practice after their last few performances. It's just the message that an optional practice sends. The Pens are in serious danger of losing to a #8 seed and it doesn't appear that things are getting any more urgent for them.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 am

I don't think they need to practice. I think they need to watch tape of all the stupid things they keep doing and have to explain why it is they keep being stupid.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

Rocco wrote:I don't think they need to practice. I think they need to watch tape of all the stupid things they keep doing and have to explain why it is they keep being stupid.

They need shock collars and everytime they do something stupid, they get zapped. Some players would be dead though already.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed May 08, 2013 10:39 am

Optional practice tells me there is nothing "new" being implemented as a stop gap. Like changing anything they are doing that is failing. Even if it's some kind of test, if they had any intention of shaking up how they approach the game, it wouldn't be optional.

Get ready for more intercepted stretch passes, chips into the zone we don't even come close to recovering, and the Islanders taking our zone with speed and playing from the goal line.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 08, 2013 10:44 am

topshelf66 wrote:Day off
Optional Skate
Get to our game

See you Thursday!
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 am

bhaw wrote:Optional practice tells me there is nothing "new" being implemented as a stop gap. Like changing anything they are doing that is failing. Even if it's some kind of test, if they had any intention of shaking up how they approach the game, it wouldn't be optional.

Get ready for more intercepted stretch passes, chips into the zone we don't even come close to recovering, and the Islanders taking our zone with speed and playing from the goal line.

I'll be ready for "we just didn't get to our game, we just have to get to our game."
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed May 08, 2013 4:10 pm

Rocco wrote:I don't think they need to practice. I think they need to watch tape of all the stupid things they keep doing and have to explain why it is they keep being stupid.

ding-ding.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins