UPDATE: Post 3,000 - Ask JeffDFD anything...AGAIN for 5000!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UPDATE: Post 3,000 - Ask JeffDFD anything...AGAIN for 50

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 pm

I've been waiting 1 hour to change my oil. Why does it take so long to change oil when the place has 8 mechanics and only 3 cars are waiting?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu May 09, 2013 1:37 pm

jimjom wrote:Jeff should I buy a new car or used car. I'm in the market for a new vehicle. May even go truck. Thanks.

The best financial decision is usually to get a used car as you skip out on that immediate "loss" as soon as you drive a new car off the lot. However, ultimately, it may depend. Used car prices are higher nowadays and some cars hold their values better than others. Also, when thinking about trucks, it depends on the kind of truck. If it is a work truck, a used one could be fairly beat up. Have to look at the warranties offered on new vs used and see what you can get. Factor all of that in to the money you save.

Long story short - the gut reaction is to get a used one to save the money. A lot also depends on your financial situation. If you are open to doing whatever and want to save the most money, get an older Honda or something that is known to last a long time. If you need something more specific (like something with more seats for kids, a truck for work, etc - so you dont have as much flexibility) and you need it to be an everyday reliable thing so you cannot go TOOO far used, you have more research to do. If you find that a 3 year old car is not all that cheaper than a new one and you want the warranty and everything else that comes with a new car - that may be a better option.

For instance, I was looking for a bigger car as my family has grown. I wanted decent mileage and good safety. This limits the choices so I cannot just take anything. It is something we will use a lot and especially on long trips. The 3 year old one was only 3000 cheaper than a brand new one...I would go with the new one in that instance.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Sarcastic wrote:That salsa still smelled and tasted perfectly fine.

I have used this website several times for my own questions like this...good bookmark to have:

http://shelflifeadvice.com/
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Thu May 09, 2013 1:39 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:I've been waiting 1 hour to change my oil. Why does it take so long to change oil when the place has 8 mechanics and only 3 cars are waiting?

Because you need to find a new place to get your oil changed.

It is around lunch time though, so maybe they have some leeway. But an hour is kind of unacceptable when you probably could have drove home and done it yourself and drove back faster.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to NHR