Computer Glasses

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Computer Glasses

Postby blurryhaze312 on Thu May 09, 2013 3:29 pm

Following a minor car accident about a year ago, I've been having some serious headache/neck/back issues that are hopefully being sorted out now that I just started seeing a new chiro. (This is another story, but the previous chiro seemed to only be treating the pain, while this new guy is treating the injury.) Anyways, even though I’m slowly starting to feel like I’m headed back to normal, I am getting fewer headaches though I still find myself scowling from time to time while working at my desk which will cause more headaches if I don’t correct. I work a 100% desk job behind a multitude of computer screens all day, every day, so this isn’t something that will be going away any time soon.

I’ve read that the monitor should be the brightest light source at/around your desk, though the fluorescents above me are blinding in comparison and I’m sure approaching anyone in our massive office about dimming the lights will be a waste of time. The only option like I feel I have left is to try these “computer glasses” to reduce glare and eye strain. Has anyone else ever tried them or know someone who has?

I found this site (http://www.gunnars.com/) which offers 30-days money-back, so I’m at no risk to try them I suppose, but still would like the ability to talk to someone who has some experience before I even try them…ie ~ do they work or are they a hoax?

Feedback appreciated.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Computer Glasses

Postby obhave on Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 pm

do you wear glasses already? I have major headache/migraine issues and one of the things my doctors had me do was get a specific type of lens for my glasses. The lens helps with the glare from the computer and noticeably reduced additional headaches from looking at computer screens for hours on end. They may be the same type in the glasses you have linked but I am not sure since it is through my prescription. I don't know if price comparisons will help you figure out if it is a hoax or not, but my additional computer lens add-on was $50 by itself (before insurance).

I found that the computer lens really did help, but I also did it through my eye-doctor so I can't speak to the website you posted or others like it.
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 pm

We had a guy in our videoconferencing recommend them during a pre-meeting safety moment.

I'd check woot.com before buying from their site. Woot usually has them on sale every 4-6 weeks.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 09, 2013 3:54 pm

If you're dealing with your eyes, I would have a visit with an eye doctor first, though I do hear glasses like that can help.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:24 pm

I have a pair of glasses for working at the computer. The things are completely useless unless I'm seated at my desk or flipping through a tablet or my phone. So I have one pair of glasses for distance and another pair for working on the computer.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 pm

Maybe a matte screen would help? I recently had a laptop disaster (16oz of coffee spilled into it) and had to get a new one right away. All you can find in Best Buy are the glossy screen ones and it does cause more eye strain for me.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NHR