Sequels That Should Have Never Existed

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sequels That Should Have Never Existed

Postby columbia on Thu May 09, 2013 3:39 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
columbia wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:
columbia wrote:Starship Troopers

Wasn't that direct to video, or something like that?

I'm an unabashed fan of the first movie; it's a brilliant satire. Honestly can't say if Verhooven set out to make a satire on purpose...... but it's still a hoot nonetheless.

I suspect that he knew what he was doing.

Knowing that this director made both RoboCop and Showgirls, I'd say it's no better than an even money bet. :wink:

AVC: In order to get a film like, say, Starship Troopers made, do you have to sell the studio on a giant bug movie, then sneak in the satirical commentary?

PV: Sneaking in [those elements] was never something that I intended to do. They were all in the script. In my opinion, the movie got made because there were so many regime changes at Sony at that time, one after the other. Mike Medavoy disappeared, then Marc Platt came in, then Bob Cooper came in, and so on. There were five or six changes, and I don't think anyone ever looked at the movie! All the satire was in the script from the beginning, but they might not have been really aware of it, or had read it precisely. By the time one of them might have understood what movie I was going to make, he was already gone. The next group came in. I think we slipped through this labyrinth of changing regimes until finally the movie was done. By then, it had become a stable regime, but then, of course, the movie was already made. It was not that I was lying to anybody. It was already in the script, all this ironic stuff, all this hyperbolic stuff, all this playing with fascism or fascist imagery to point out certain aspects of American society, that was all in the script.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/paul-verhoeven,14078/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeanPronovost on Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Weekend at Bernie's II
JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm

JeanPronovost wrote:Weekend at Bernie's II

First boobs I ever saw.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm

DocEmrick wrote:The AVP franchise is HORRIBLE. I absolutely HATE what it's done to the lore of the original Alien universe.

I did like Prometheus, and Aliens, but only because Aliens was so goddamn suspenseful (when they're doing the compound sweep). I think that's the most tense I've ever felt when watching a movie. You guys all know the scene, where they arrive and start slowly moving through the colony with their hand-held radars and what not. Excellent cinematography, really captures hopelessness.

Alien 3 wasn't that great, but I do like David Fincher.

yeah, the original movies with Sigourney Weaver were great.... even the last two were good. (I think there were 4 in total)

but this new batch just sucks, as most hollywood action films lately. i don't know why they keep reviving old titles for bad remakes. it just ruins the memory.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 pm

i will add............ Predator. the first one was good. all the rest seemed like a joke.

how about the great Weekend at Bernie's with the other 2 (i think) being just so-so.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

First boobs I ever saw.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

First boobs I ever saw.

Man, yinz are some young'uns.

Mom took me to see Saturday Night Fever when I was 12 (the R rated version) and saw some cans in the background on one scene.

AWKWARD!
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 09, 2013 4:28 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

First boobs I ever saw.

Mom took me to see Saturday Night Fever when I was 12 (the R rated version) and saw some cans in the background on one scene.

AWKWARD!

:lol: I was in 3rd grade.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan1989 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Star Wars I, II, III
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu May 09, 2013 4:31 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

First boobs I ever saw.

AWKWARD!

Ummmmm ... I think he said he was 28 at the time. :pop:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Rylan wrote:
columbia wrote:Starship Troopers

Good call.

Yup, I love the first one. The rest are like 20% of the original.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 09, 2013 4:40 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

First boobs I ever saw.

AWKWARD!

Ummmmm ... I think he said he was 28 at the time. :pop:

He did say he was 28.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Thu May 09, 2013 5:11 pm

young guns 2 sucked bals
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shyster on Thu May 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Highlander 2.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stoosh on Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 pm

It was previously mentioned, but Major League II was one of the ones that disappointed me most, specifically because Major League is one of those movies on my "never gets old/always funny" list and it actually set up for an even better sequel. The plot/storyline of Major League II wasn't bad at all as a sequel. It introduced some new characters that could have certainly worked in the spirit of the first (imagine Rube Baker or Tanaka in an "R" rating). And there were still enough jokes with Vaughn, Cerrano, Taylor, Dorn, Hayes, Doyle and Lou Brown that it could have worked.

But no.

They sterilized it even beyond PG-13 and went all the way to PG so kids could see it and it was a disaster.

Huge misfire by the studio.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Thu May 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

First boobs I ever saw.

Haha, mine was "Kramer v Kramer".

Shyster wrote:Highlander 2.

I'd say all three film sequels were crap, but the TV series was actually pretty cool.

When I saw the 4th film in theaters, the female lead was in the crowd with a bunch of her girlfriends. Every time she was on screen they'd cheer. It was cute the first time, and maybe the second time. By the 45 minute mark of the film, it was a bit of a different story.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Fri May 10, 2013 4:20 am

i must be the only person alive who liked Alien 3. its one of my favorite movies. not one of the best ive seen, just a favorite.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Trying to take my mind off the anxiety of going in to tonight's game... I've started to compile my list of obvious stand-alone movies that should have never had sequels.

1.) The Matrix (1999)

Reasoning: The original Matrix script almost seems like somebody else wrote it and the Wachowski Bros got a hold of it and turned it into a feature film. The second and third films planned congruently offer nothing of substance to expand on the original plot. The story is stupid, and it's all about the action and special effects. The first film is a fantastic stand-alone movie that leaves the viewer to determine how Neo frees others, and fights for humanity.

2.) Terminator (1984)

Reasoning: I know that this will get some flack, but the original Terminator horror/sci-fi mix is one of those "perfect blends," of suspense/thriller and horror. A machine endlessly stalking a young girl for reasons unknown (until Michael Biehn shows up and explains it all). It was original, and it was downright scary. This is my favorite Schwarzaneggar role. Terminator 2 is good, but it's just a cash-in action flick, and nothing else. T3 and TS just expand on the original story, but don't add much for me.

3.) The Godfather (1972) & The Godfather II (1974)

Reasoning: The Godfather saga, obviously, is one of the classic cinema pieces in American film history. Parts I and II give an in-depth look at organized crime, no matter how accurate it may be, and are both excellent pieces of storytelling. Debate on Godfather II being better than the original seems to have quelled, with most "movie pundits" agreeing that the Second film's flashbacks really add to the depth of the storyline. As for the 3rd one, ugh...what a piece. Pure cash-in flick nearly 20 years after the original. Nothing but garbage.

Feel free to add.

Terminator 2 was the best of the series
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CERV96 on Fri May 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Revenge of the nerds.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 pm

CERV96 wrote:Revenge of the nerds.

Hotel Coral Essex
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 10, 2013 2:48 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Shyster wrote:Highlander 2.

I'd say all three film sequels were crap, but the TV series was actually pretty cool.

When I saw the 4th film in theaters, the female lead was in the crowd with a bunch of her girlfriends. Every time she was on screen they'd cheer. It was cute the first time, and maybe the second time. By the 45 minute mark of the film, it was a bit of a different story.

tv show was pretty cool. first highlander is one of my favorites, the Kurgan is such an awesome bad guy (clancy brown is so cool, him and Brian Thompson (slasher in Cobra) always terrified me). The sequels were terrible (although I did like Endgame somewhat). I've always thought the concept could create a lot of great stories, but here we are.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 pm

not that it was particularly great, but Taken.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Fri May 10, 2013 3:36 pm

thepittman wrote:Terminator 2 was the best of the series

Terminator 2 was a cash-in cheesy action flick with horrible lines like "Let me try mine," and the others. Furlong's acting is horrendous. Terminator ends perfectly, with the viewer to draw their own conclusions about judgement day, etc.

That being said, I still enjoy all of the films (yes even 3), I just think Terminator would have worked fine as a stand-alone movie.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 10, 2013 3:42 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
thepittman wrote:Terminator 2 was the best of the series

Terminator 2 was a cash-in cheesy action flick with horrible lines like "Let me try mine," and the others. Furlong's acting is horrendous. Terminator ends perfectly, with the viewer to draw their own conclusions about judgement day, etc.

That being said, I still enjoy all of the films (yes even 3), I just think Terminator would have worked fine as a stand-alone movie.

Love T2. Thought is was the best one.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 3:43 pm

canaan wrote:not that it was particularly great, but Taken.

As in it was a good sequel? I only just saw the first movie a month or two ago and I liked it. Was told the second was good as well.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR