GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby Rylan on Thu May 09, 2013 1:15 pm

The advice is coming from a college student lol
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu May 09, 2013 1:51 pm

I've heard Sidelines is good. I'll have to go there before the next show I attend at Mr. Smalls.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 09, 2013 6:15 pm

Big Bear Black Stout....one of my favorites
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stopper40 on Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 am

http://www.ommegang.com/got/

They had this on tap at the bar I was at last night
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 am

my brother is looking into locations in Pittsburgh as he knows about Sharp Edge and their only man in town approach. hes been looking into it for more than a year now.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 10, 2013 10:23 am

canaan wrote:my brother is looking into locations in Pittsburgh as he knows about Sharp Edge and their only man in town approach. hes been looking into it for more than a year now.

What part of town is he thinking?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Fri May 10, 2013 11:54 am

much to slappybrowns chagrin, he is looking for somewhere in the south hills or similar areas to peters twp, mt lebo, upper st clair.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 11:59 am

Just wait half the board drops your name and tries to get a free beer.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby canaan on Fri May 10, 2013 12:00 pm

they'd probably get one in the first week, and then charged double after that.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 pm

canaan wrote:much to slappybrowns chagrin, he is looking for somewhere in the south hills or similar areas to peters twp, mt lebo, upper st clair.

Yuck.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri May 10, 2013 12:33 pm

canaan wrote:much to slappybrowns chagrin, he is looking for somewhere in the south hills or similar areas to peters twp, mt lebo, upper st clair.

Another vote against the South Hills here. Maybe if enough LGP posters can voice their displeasure, we swing the location to somewhere in the city or North Hills. People have to respect the combined voice of LGP.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 pm

largegarlic wrote:

Another vote against the South Hills here. Maybe if enough LGP posters can voice their displeasure, we swing the location to somewhere in the city or North Hills. People have to respect the combined voice of LGP.

I'm voting for the South Hills
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Also, I guess I missed the whole Beer Market discussion. I've been to several World of Beer locations in Florida and don't find the lack of food onsite to be a big drawback. Having good food available is a plus, but if I'm going out to drink I'll usually eat prior or stumble to a pizza place and/or Taco Bell afterwards.

As I ascend the echelons of beer snobbery, I find my biggest complaint about World of Beer is that they have lots of different beers, but they don't really have many exceptionally rare/high-end brews. With the number of decent craft breweries out there now, you can build up an impressive number of decent craft beers without having any exceptional ones. Last summer at World of Beer, I asked what sours they had (none), and then asked a for saison as my plan B. They only had this Widmer Brothers saison that was very unremarkable (as I think most of their stuff is).

I would prefer a place with a smaller selection, but with at least a half-dozen truly rare, truly high-end beers. The couple times I've been to Fathead's in the past couple years, I've thought they've done a nice of job of having some interesting things available, while still having a small selection in comparison to World of Beer/Beer Market places.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 12:52 pm

There's a World of Beer a few blocks from my office.
I've never been in there, partially because it doesn't look like a place that I would want to spend more than 3 minutes.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri May 10, 2013 12:59 pm

columbia wrote:There's a World of Beer a few blocks from my office.
I've never been in there, partially because it doesn't look like a place that I would want to spend more than 3 minutes.

Is it because of **** clientele? I've noticed that it seems to be the World of Beer MO to open locations in yuppie-ish areas, which leads to pretty high d-bag concentrations inside. I spent most of my time at World of Beer during the day watching the 2010 World Cup. It was definitely more bearable during the day.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 10, 2013 1:18 pm

That's basically exactly how I feel as well. Idoit recommended that bar in D.C. that has 300+ beers, and I felt like the list was 285 of the first 300 most common beers you would think of. I realize 300 beers is an awful lot, and that should be a large enough number that there should be something for everyone, but it seems strange to me to pride yourself on beer numbers but lack at least a couple really high end/rare offerings. I don't even mind if you have it but its $40-$50/bottle.

Perhaps when I stop my exploration phase I'll settle in to wanting to drink some of the same things available at places like this. Feel like quite the snob these days, though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Fri May 10, 2013 1:20 pm

I was at World of Beer in Columbus. It was okay but I was there late at night after I'd had a few strong beers at another establishment prior so I wasn't able to enjoy it fully.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 1:22 pm

largegarlic wrote:
columbia wrote:There's a World of Beer a few blocks from my office.

Is it because of **** clientele? I've noticed that it seems to be the World of Beer MO to open locations in yuppie-ish areas, which leads to pretty high d-bag concentrations inside. I spent most of my time at World of Beer during the day watching the 2010 World Cup. It was definitely more bearable during the day.

It had a a real frat-house basement feel to it.....at least from what I could see from the sidewalk.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 10, 2013 1:28 pm

dos equis amber and sam adams summer last night. Both were enjoyable.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Kraftster wrote:That's basically exactly how I feel as well. Idoit recommended that bar in D.C. that has 300+ beers, and I felt like the list was 285 of the first 300 most common beers you would think of. I realize 300 beers is an awful lot, and that should be a large enough number that there should be something for everyone, but it seems strange to me to pride yourself on beer numbers but lack at least a couple really high end/rare offerings. I don't even mind if you have it but its $40-$50/bottle.

Perhaps when I stop my exploration phase I'll settle in to wanting to drink some of the same things available at places like this. Feel like quite the snob these days, though.

It seems strange to me that you chastise a place for lacking rare offerings and cite an example that has 285 common beers out of their 300+ beers. Sounds like 15+ beers that meet your approval. :pop:

But really, yeah I know what you mean. I am someone that is excited and satisfied when a place has Boddingtons. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 10, 2013 1:33 pm

eddysnake wrote:dos equis amber and sam adams summer last night. Both were enjoyable.

I can't remember hte last time I had amber, I almost always get lager.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
eddysnake wrote:dos equis amber and sam adams summer last night. Both were enjoyable.

I can't remember hte last time I had amber, I almost always get lager.

I can't remember hte last time I had lager, I almost always get amber.

$7 for a sixer, seemed pretty reasonable to me
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Kraftster wrote:That's basically exactly how I feel as well. Idoit recommended that bar in D.C. that has 300+ beers, and I felt like the list was 285 of the first 300 most common beers you would think of. I realize 300 beers is an awful lot, and that should be a large enough number that there should be something for everyone, but it seems strange to me to pride yourself on beer numbers but lack at least a couple really high end/rare offerings. I don't even mind if you have it but its $40-$50/bottle.

It seems strange to me that you chastise a place for lacking rare offerings and cite an example that has 285 common beers out of their 300+ beers. Sounds like 15+ beers that meet your approval. :pop:

But really, yeah I know what you mean. I am someone that is excited and satisfied when a place has Boddingtons. :scared:

Ha. Something less than rare but more than common on those 15 or so.

Yeah, I used to be in that boat. I think I'm pretty annoying to go out with these days. I'm frequently complaining about the type of glassware being used by bars.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Chimay Grande Reserve (blue cap). Really nice. Belgian strong dark ale.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shyster on Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

To offer somewhat of a defense of the Sharp Edge being complacent, I would remember that their focus has always been on Belgian beers, not all types of beer in general. Sure, they have beers from other places, but I’ve never expected them to be a go-to place for American micros or anything like that.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR