LGP Golf Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Golf Thread

Postby Grunthy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:50 pm

better than Scott... :pop:
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Why so spiteful?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Grunthy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Gaucho wrote:Why so spiteful?

Stevie Williams is his caddie... That guy is a major *****.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Lolol
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jopaz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Dumb question - do golf balls lose their "energy" or "spring" over time?
A neighbor offered me several boxes of brand new golf balls, package never opened.
However she said that they are at least 10 years old.
These are brand names - Titleist, etc.

Or, even if they are still OK, are the current models just better such that I would be better off with new ones.
Thanks!
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:29 pm

they're still okay. technology may come along to make new golf balls better, but there's nothing wrong with the balls he gave you. also, if you're a beginner, you don't want nice golf balls anyways. good golf balls tend to enhance spins and things that advanced golfers do purposely. most beginners can't do those things purposely, so nice golf balls tend to enhance slices and other non-intentional things.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Tomas on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:30 pm

Jopaz wrote:Dumb question - do golf balls lose their "energy" or "spring" over time?
A neighbor offered me several boxes of brand new golf balls, package never opened.
However she said that they are at least 10 years old.
These are brand names - Titleist, etc.

Or, even if they are still OK, are the current models just better such that I would be better off with new ones.
Thanks!

http://www.franklygolf.com/usingoldgolfballs.aspx
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jopaz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Thanks guys, good info. These will probably end up in the lake or the woods anyway. :)
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:39 pm

lol, that's what i'd always do with balls that have scratches or markings on them. (or just brands I don't like)
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I thought the link said using gold golf balls :face:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm

omg, I can't deal with Jim Nantz at all anymore in any sport, but especially in the Masters. I personally find him insufferable.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Orlando Penguin on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:45 am

The last 90 minutes were as good as any Masters has been in a while. Great 18th hole in regulation and so many near-misses for Cabrera on both holes in the playoff. Good thing they didn't have to go past that 2nd hole or else they'd have been fighting darkness.

As for the anchored putter, I don't really think it's that much of an advantage. Sure, 4 of the last 6 major winners have used one but if they were THAT much of an advantage, shouldn't someone who uses one win just about every week? Scott missed a ton of putts all the way up until his make on 18 in the final round. Surely, if they were an advantage, he'd have won this by 7 or 8, right? I've been trying to figure out during this whole period of time since the ban announcement what the equivalent would be in another sport but haven't been able to come up with the right comparison.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Interesting goings-on at the Players Championship. For starters, Roberto Castro (who?) tied the course record with a 63. In addition, Vijay Singh decided to file a lawsuit against the PGA for "stress" from his deer antler spray non-scandal some months ago. The PGA removed all sanctions, and everything seemed to be kosher, but he decided to make the decision to sue them 48 hours before the biggest event of their calendar.

The response from the galleries has been fantastic so far. Every shot he hits is met with near dead silence. He just hit a great tee shot on 17, and you could have heard a pin drop. I love it.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 pm

Castro's getting smoked like a bad cigar in this 2nd round. Golf fans should be pretty happy with a Sergio-Tiger final pairing on Saturday provided Zach doesn't mess it up by making a few more birdies.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon May 13, 2013 5:20 pm

What do golf fans make of Servios whining that Tiger disrupted him during his back swing by pulling a club out of his bag?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 pm

I think Sergio should sack up as if the thousands of fans shifting and moving don't distract him but tiger moving a club across the fairway does. Also I think this happens several times around to each player (see Sergio taking practice putts in what's his faces direct line of sight). Sour grapes are sour
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I think Sergio should sack up as if the thousands of fans shifting and moving don't distract him but tiger moving a club across the fairway does. Also I think this happens several times around to each player (see Sergio taking practice putts in what's his faces direct line of sight). Sour grapes are sour

This. Sergio is a total mental case (see: 17th at Sawgrass, every major, etc).
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Sergio's just mad that he wilts under any minute amount of pressure. Been doing it his whole career.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Mon May 13, 2013 6:56 pm

I was surprised that Sergio stayed in it as long as he did with Tiger because after hearing what he said during the rain delay on Saturday, I figured that Tiger was still in his head and he was done. That being said, Tiger was told by a marshal that Sergio had hit so he could go ahead and get into his routine. My problem lies with the dolts that follow in Tiger's gallery. Some of the people there are the lowest of the lowest common denominator -- people who just want to be on TV and have no idea what the hell is going on (the 'mashed potato' guy, for instance). Why in the world are you whooping and hollering for Tiger pulling a club? And naturally, that noise comes as Sergio is in his backswing and jars him just enough to throw off his concentration.

And Sergio was nuts trying to take on that pin on 17 in a tied situation. Just hit the middle of the green, 2-putt, and get out. Don't lose it on that hole.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Played the 1st 9 of the year at North Park. Didn't play too bad except for 2 awful holes (triple bogeyed). 11 over 47. Can't chip between 10 and 50 yards.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Played the 1st 9 of the year at North Park. Didn't play too bad except for 2 awful holes (triple bogeyed). 11 over 47. Can't chip between 10 and 50 yards.

I played down in Florida this past week, shot about the same.

If I have all fairway between myself and the green and I am inside of 50 yards or so, I bump and run it every time. Oddly, the part of my game that has gotten much, MUCH better is my sand game, mainly because I haven't been able to avoid them lately.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 5:25 pm

lol its funny how different people have different strengths. To me, the short game is the easiest part about golf. To others my weaknesses are a cake walk. Little thing that amuses me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon May 20, 2013 5:26 pm

shad, with your new house, are you going to be closer to the courses farther west of philly? Honeybrook and Pilgrims Oak are two great courses in a great setting
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:40 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:shad, with your new house, are you going to be closer to the courses farther west of philly? Honeybrook and Pilgrims Oak are two great courses in a great setting

Yessir. In addition, I won't be far from Moccasin Run Golf Course, which is another really nice one I enjoy getting out to. I think I'll be about 35-40 minutes from Pilgrim's Oak, which isn't bad at all.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
I played down in Florida this past week, shot about the same.

Where'd ya play?
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR