The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The NEW Tyler Kennedy thread

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Nizzy must be on the golf course
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 pm

thepittman wrote:As I said before I believe the TK is solid player on this team, shows a lot of energy, and is a great role player. Many people under value him IMO and what he does for this team.

In a way, they do. But a main reason for that is the fact that he got a big paycheck following a 20+ goal season in 2011, when everyone was injured. He's not a guy who is top 6 material, as he has proven time and time again. But he does have a place in the lineup, especially given his track record against the Islanders.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Fri May 10, 2013 3:09 pm

DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri May 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Is he eating c2i's pizza?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby bh on Fri May 10, 2013 3:12 pm

TK is one of my favorite players on the Pens. I was disapointed that be got benched for a bit, but he really is a decent little player. I hope they keep playing him with Vitale. Those two looked good together. Honestly, I think that Sutter is one of the main reasons that he had a pretty bad year. That guy just doesn't seem to click with anyone.

He even said after the game: “I thought the whole line there, ‘Joey V’ and ‘Addsy,’ they were playing great,” Kennedy said. “I kind of feed of Joey Vitale’s energy and speed.”

I like the quote from TV also:
""[Kennedy] kept a great, positive attitude and he got rewarded today with a big goal for our team," Vokoun said. "That's a huge thing to score the first goal in a game like that."
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:
thepittman wrote:As I said before I believe the TK is solid player on this team, shows a lot of energy, and is a great role player. Many people under value him IMO and what he does for this team.

In a way, they do. But a main reason for that is the fact that he got a big paycheck following a 20+ goal season in 2011, when everyone was injured. He's not a guy who is top 6 material, as he has proven time and time again. But he does have a place in the lineup, especially given his track record against the Islanders.

This. When you're looking at trying to re-sign Malkin, Letang, Dupuis and other more important top-line players, spending $2 million on a bottom-6 guy who can only player on the 2nd power play and even strength is a luxury the Pens can't afford.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 3:15 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:

I'm in no way advocating that he is worth what he is getting paid, my point is he has a valuable presence in this lineup and the team is lacking without it.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 pm

DocEmrick wrote:Image

This guy owns the suit jacket Capuano is wearing.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 pm

thepittman wrote:
RxBandit66 wrote:

I'm in no way advocating that he is worth what he is getting paid, my point is he has a valuable presence in this lineup and the team is lacking without it.

Absolutely. My point was that a large faction of Penguin fans developed this irrational "Kennedy hate" partially because he raised expectations too high with his 20 goal season and big paycheck. Kennedy is what he is, a valuable bottom 6 guy who can skate well, cycle the puck, stir the pot, and occasionally score a game changing goal. We saw the best of Kennedy last night, and that player frequently shows up against the Islanders. I never understood all the hate towards him by the fans.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri May 10, 2013 3:37 pm

The best part of TK may be next series (given we win tomorrow). He's virtually owned Ottawa his entire career.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm

MRandall25 wrote:The best part of TK may be next series (given we win tomorrow). He's virtually owned Ottawa his entire career.

HCDB thought he could let his secret weapon rest during the first series, little did he know what would lie in wait for him...
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 10, 2013 3:57 pm

Absolutely. My point was that a large faction of Penguin fans developed this irrational "Kennedy hate" partially because he raised expectations too high with his 20 goal season and big paycheck. Kennedy is what he is, a valuable bottom 6 guy who can skate well, cycle the puck, stir the pot, and occasionally score a game changing goal. We saw the best of Kennedy last night, and that player frequently shows up against the Islanders. I never understood all the hate towards him by the fans.

I'm pretty sure the Kennedy hate already existed even before then. Because group think says he shoots too much.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Shakes on Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 pm

jwest21 wrote:Benching Kennedy lights a fire under him for 2-3 games. then he goes back to playing the same way. If he played the same game every night that he does after being benched, no one would complain about his play

Agreed. I'm hoping that the extended still-would-be-benched-if-the-Pens-kept-winning benching will keep the fire lit for a while.

The good thing about the quality depth (JJ and BB) and Bylsma's willingness, though reluctant, to use it is that none of the bottom six are safe. Put up or take a seat.

Well, except for Adams. j/k
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 4:19 pm

jwest21 wrote:Benching Kennedy lights a fire under him for 2-3 games. then he goes back to playing the same way. If he played the same game every night that he does after being benched, no one would complain about his play

Benching Kennedy? Has been in lineup pretty consistently except for injury.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 4:21 pm

thepittman wrote:

he was just recently benched in the playoffs. He's been a healthy scratch a few times over the last couple years and comes back and has a few great games and then goes back to normal.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thepittman on Fri May 10, 2013 4:24 pm

jwest21 wrote:
thepittman wrote:

he was just recently benched in the playoffs. He's been a healthy scratch a few times over the last couple years and comes back and has a few great games and then goes back to normal.

One time this season. Previous seasons he has played pretty well throughout(I think he did just fine this season but I'm not going to beat that dead horse) I would say any player that gets shelved comes back with some more gusto
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 4:37 pm

thepittman wrote:
jwest21 wrote:
thepittman wrote:

One time this season. Previous seasons he has played pretty well throughout(I think he did just fine this season but I'm not going to beat that dead horse) I would say any player that gets shelved comes back with some more gusto

He has been a healthy scratch a number of times over the last few years. Usually for 1 or 2 games. The difference in his play before and after being scratched is night and day. It just never seems to last
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Shakes on Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 pm

thepittman wrote:
jwest21 wrote:
thepittman wrote:

Except Tangradi? :pop:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri May 10, 2013 5:12 pm

i can't remember kennedy ever being a healthy scratch until late in the season this year
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Froggy wrote:i can't remember kennedy ever being a healthy scratch until late in the season this year

I don't either. He may have been once last season when he was struggling. He's missed a lot of time due to injury in his career.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Geezer on Fri May 10, 2013 5:21 pm

He's the 15th best forward on this team IMO if you think Glass is more valuable because of PK and toughness. I can't believe anyone thinks he's better than Bennett or Jokinen. I consider Vitale much more valuable than Staggy and Disco's lil tiger. Vitale will get a shot somewhere because he's not a DB kind of guy. Hopefully Shero trades TK for a pick pre-draft to save a million or so against the cap for a lower round pick
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 10, 2013 5:25 pm

I think it's more that Kennedy brings something they need to the table that some other guys can't. If they needed a top six scorer, I'd rather plug Jokinen or Bennett in. They needed energy and grit which Kennedy and Vitale supply more of. There needs to be balance in the lineup, they can't just throw a bunch of scorers out there and expect to win in the playoffs.

Kennedy probably isn't going to have any trade value. The rest of the league probably figures the Pens aren't going to give him a qualifying offer. Unless someone really wants him that badly and is willing to spend $2 million on him he's going to end up hitting the free agency market.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Fri May 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Geezer wrote:He's the 15th best forward on this team IMO if you think Glass is more valuable because of PK and toughness. I can't believe anyone thinks he's better than Bennett or Jokinen. I consider Vitale much more valuable than Staggy and Disco's lil tiger. Vitale will get a shot somewhere because he's not a DB kind of guy. Hopefully Shero trades TK for a pick pre-draft to save a million or so against the cap for a lower round pick

kennedy plays a different role than bennett or jokenin. it was obvious that we needed more speed, better forecheck, etc... and kennedy can play that role on an energy line more effectively than bennett or jokenin. not saying he is better than either player, but more effective in that role.

now if we had a game plan that utilized our roster a bit differently, maybe having more players with bennett's or jokenin's skillsets would be valued more.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jwest21 on Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Froggy wrote:i can't remember kennedy ever being a healthy scratch until late in the season this year

He has been a few times in previous seasons. I can't remember exactly when, but I do remember thinking when he came back that he looked much better.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stick_Flex on Fri May 10, 2013 6:23 pm

You win championships with guys like tk. When all the skilled players are being cute and getting bogged down by the checking line you want someone like tk to do the simple things and chip in in ways that the skilled players won't.
Stick_Flex
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins