Other NHL games

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Other NHL games

Postby npv708 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:46 am

Kovy27 wrote:
npv708 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Second Round is setting up as a battle of California...either SJ vs. LA or Ana vs. LA

I'd love to see Chicago vs LA and the Sharks vs. Anaheim. Those are two awesome matchups.

You have it backwards, it would be Chi vs SJ and ANA vs LA.

Yup. I forgot SJ was a 6th seed. Was thinking they were the 3rd seed. Hawks vs. Sharks would be an awesome series, too. All 4 of those will beat the living crud out of each other.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 am

npv708 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
npv708 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:Second Round is setting up as a battle of California...either SJ vs. LA or Ana vs. LA

I'd love to see Chicago vs LA and the Sharks vs. Anaheim. Those are two awesome matchups.

Yup. I forgot SJ was a 6th seed. Was thinking they were the 3rd seed. Hawks vs. Sharks would be an awesome series, too. All 4 of those will beat the living crud out of each other.

I'm thinking SJ beats them. SJ is that under the radar team for this year because of Chicago, Anaheim, LA, and St. Louis being the sexy pick. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks ends up in the Finals...
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:49 am

Kovy27 wrote:
npv708 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:
npv708 wrote:

I'm thinking SJ beats them. SJ is that under the radar team for this year because of Chicago, Anaheim, LA, and St. Louis being the sexy pick. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks ends up in the Finals...

Figures, too. I hesitate rooting for the Sharks this year, since they picked up the dirtiest player in the league, Raffi Torres, and they actually look great.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 am

The storyline of "Niemi versus his former team" will be beaten to death before Game 1 even starts in the event of a Chi-SJ series
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 am

LA is the first defending champ to win a playoff round since the Pens, no?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 am

npv708 wrote:Figures, too. I hesitate rooting for the Sharks this year, since they picked up the dirtiest player in the league, Raffi Torres, and they actually look great.

I'm starting to believe that the winner of the West will win the cup. Those teams are nasty, physical (except for Chicago). I'd love to see LA vs. PIT and I'm saying this now...if Detroit comes out, my head will explode....twice.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:52 am

slappybrown wrote:Which is why they only used away rather than home data. To cut out the statistical noise in favor of the home team. Garbage in, garbage out, but it seems your argument for the existence of shot quality is:

"Long term repeatable observable Shot quality exists because I say it exists."
Ill address your other points later this weekend.

But scoring chances don't inspire a lot of confidence in me as a stat, much less processed and prodded and poked and pushed into other stats.

Stat community: "We don't want human subjectivity to get in the way of player evaluation...so, we'll use these statistics based on human subjectivity from humans that may or may not know even less about the game than we do to eliminate this subjectivity..."

I mean, how does shot quality not exist? Because it can't be quantified, therefore it's attacked? That seems too convenient.

"Well, we cured all of the diseases known to man, except the common cold...so, uh, from now on, the common cold doesn't exist...it's made up...that's just allergies..."

Why does every goalie that plays for Boston have awesome statistics...? Why do good goalie numbers seem to follow Dave Tippett around? Why did Ottawa have three of the top 8 goaltenders in save pct. this year (just before they shipped off Bishop...)? Why did the goaltenders on Al Arbour's Islanders in the 1980's have stat trends like they did? Why has the save pct. record* been broken three consecutive years by goalies that have been recently rejected on multiple occasions in their NHL careers?

Why do teams bother with defensive systems if shot quality doesn't exist in any significant way?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 am

I am also getting this feeling that TO has a shot to win that series. Bruins didn't look good in game 4...speed was smoking them in OT until that eh goal.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 1:10 am

Kovy27 wrote:I am also getting this feeling that TO has a shot to win that series. Bruins didn't look good in game 4...speed was smoking them in OT until that eh goal.

How about that third period though. The Leafs did not touch the puck at all. That might have been the most dominate period of hockey in these playoffs. The Bruins played for 15 minutes and still nearly won the thing. I think Boston has this one, Reimer probably won't steal another game like he stole the one tonight...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat May 11, 2013 6:17 am

Saddest thing about the celebration of Ribiero's goal is it would be identical in a 5-1 loss in December when scored with 30 seconds left.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat May 11, 2013 7:25 am

Re: Reimer

Whenever I've seen him play, he's looked like butt. So his Butt Index is high.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 am

shmenguin wrote:Re: Reimer

Whenever I've seen him play, he's looked like butt. So his Butt Index is high.

I'm thinking you're on to something here with The Butt Index as a way to quantify goaltending :D Works as well as any other stats thrown out there.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 am

I'm working on the algorithm for the S*** the Bed Score (STBS), but I lost a lot of data once we benched Fleury.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 am

DelPen wrote:Saddest thing about the celebration of Ribiero's goal is it would be identical in a 5-1 loss in December when scored with 30 seconds left.

bingo
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat May 11, 2013 11:42 am

shmenguin wrote:I'm working on the algorithm for the S*** the Bed Score (STBS), but I lost a lot of data once we benched Fleury.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Godric on Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Yeah that Remier guy has terrible reflexs and is butt

:slug:

Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shmenguin on Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 pm

ermahgerd he made a save
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Sat May 11, 2013 3:27 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Kovy27 wrote:I am also getting this feeling that TO has a shot to win that series. Bruins didn't look good in game 4...speed was smoking them in OT until that eh goal.

How about that third period though. The Leafs did not touch the puck at all. That might have been the most dominate period of hockey in these playoffs. The Bruins played for 15 minutes and still nearly won the thing. I think Boston has this one, Reimer probably won't steal another game like he stole the one tonight...

True...However, OT of the game prior...Leafs were all over them and lost. Reimer needs to basically be the difference tomorrow and then it is all up for grabs.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 11, 2013 4:34 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Grabovski went end to end on his own at about the 13:00 mark. He got ZERO help from his teammates and w3as crushed at the end of the play. After that, you're right, Toronto look gawd awful.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Godric wrote:Yeah that Remier guy has terrible reflexs and is butt

A) No one said "terrible"
B) Image

So...start Fleury tonight, right?

If you're going to try to troll, at least make an effort or butcher up a bunch of numbers and call it art...do something...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Sat May 11, 2013 5:08 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Godric wrote:Yeah that Remier guy has terrible reflexs and is butt

A) No one said "terrible"
B) Image

So...start Fleury tonight, right?

If you're going to try to troll, at least make an effort or butcher up a bunch of numbers and call it art...do something...

I'm definitely not trolling. I'm sorry you see it that way but I wouldn't waste my time trolling you of all people.

Oh, I'm sorry you said "butt" not terrible

You said he has "butt reflexs", he put on a clinic of athleticism, puck tracking, rebound control and REFLEXS and I posted a save that highlights his athleticism and reflexs

Thats totally the same as posting a picture of JSG in 2003 and saying he should start now right? :roll: :roll:

Edit: I don't know why you are getting all defensive and personal when someone takes a different opinion than yours... like Slappy and you last night
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Not taking it personally, I couldn't care less about Reimer really...it's just kind of weird that someone can look at Reimer's whole career and evaluate his play and the reply is him making a single save...I love to talk hockey, but it's pretty silly when one person talks about hockey and one person makes a macaroni art rendition of a goalie mask and goes, "see...I told you he was a goalie..." What's the point...?

Here's my post for you to re-read and, perhaps in the future, depict a little more accurately...viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60373&start=4675#p2422030
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat May 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Eh...sorry, I was a little snappier than I should have been. I had just gotten in from a rather hectic morning/early afternoon...my apologies.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Sat May 11, 2013 6:27 pm

Canaan peaks in and see's the same old trolls, doing the same old thing, bows out...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 11, 2013 6:36 pm

canaan wrote:Canaan peaks in and see's the same old trolls, doing the same old thing, bows out...

Peaks (sic) LMAO
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to NPR