Stock Market

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Stock Market

Postby ulf on Thu May 09, 2013 12:16 pm

K-1s for the energy LPs are the worst. Do all your tax preparers a favor and invest in them through your IRA so we don't have to deal with them.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 pm

The worst part about MLP's are when these guys actually sell the damn things after holding onto them for like a decade, then complain when there basis is really low (and their tax really high) because all those tax free distributions reduce their basis. sorry bro, im not going to shed a tear when you invest like $60k in an mlp, receive like $27K in distributions, and then sell it when its worth 85K and you have to pay tax on a $52k gain because your basis is so low.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 09, 2013 12:49 pm

ulf wrote:K-1s for the energy LPs are the worst. Do all your tax preparers a favor and invest in them through your IRA so we don't have to deal with them.

amen x 10000000000000000
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 11, 2013 1:13 pm

My favorite financial columnist died on Thursday.

He wrote a once a week column in Barrons weekly newspaper / magazine that I looked ofrward to every week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Abelson
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Sun May 19, 2013 11:49 am

I'm interested in the take on this from the various investors here....

So I'm getting close to reaching my current savings goal (with the understanding that the crappola interest rate is the price to pay for having a very liquid emergency fund).
If I were to be able to max out my IRA - which I stopped doing due to moving last year - again, the next step might be?

I have a 403b from work. Do I simply concentrate on putting as much as I can in that? It's currently at about 1/3 of the salary deferral limit per year. The reason I ask, is that I wouldn't mind funneling some non-deferred income into a mutual fund for 5-15 (?) year income generation. So I would end up with fully liquid (checking and savings), semi-liquid (mutual funds) and completely unliquid (IRA and 403b).

Or am I just thinking about this wrong and should just concentrate on the two retirement angles?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby MWB on Sun May 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Just tuck it under the mattress.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 pm

How to trade the Federal Reserve decision
Here’s how stocks, bonds, commodities and dollar may react
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to ... 2013-06-18
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:37 am

columbia wrote:How to trade the Federal Reserve decision
Here’s how stocks, bonds, commodities and dollar may react
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to ... 2013-06-18

Weirdo stuff is going on with gold, eh?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:41 am

columbia wrote:I'm interested in the take on this from the various investors here....

So I'm getting close to reaching my current savings goal (with the understanding that the crappola interest rate is the price to pay for having a very liquid emergency fund).
If I were to be able to max out my IRA - which I stopped doing due to moving last year - again, the next step might be?

I have a 403b from work. Do I simply concentrate on putting as much as I can in that? It's currently at about 1/3 of the salary deferral limit per year. The reason I ask, is that I wouldn't mind funneling some non-deferred income into a mutual fund for 5-15 (?) year income generation. So I would end up with fully liquid (checking and savings), semi-liquid (mutual funds) and completely unliquid (IRA and 403b).

Or am I just thinking about this wrong and should just concentrate on the two retirement angles?

Since everyone else is a cold hearted jagoff and did not answer when this was first posted....it wouldnt be a bad idea to try and max out your 403b, but kenny the kangaroo would suggest to probably split any extra savings between that liquid emergency fund and the 403b. Maxing out a retirement plan is great, but in this gentleman's opinion its never a bad idea to have extra cash available.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm doing a rollover from a 40% bond /60% stock fund to the Vanguard VTSAX index fund.
It should go through sometime next week, so I'm kind of hoping for the market to continue to tank between now and then.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:16 pm

I wonder if things will stabilize tomorrow. Everyone knew this was coming today.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:45 am

Big drop today. Over 1.5% down to start
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 am

JeffDFD wrote:Big drop today. Over 1.5% down to start

FUD...

The Fed putting the breaks on QE is a good thing, it means they think the economy is recovering sufficiently.

Personally, I think anyone who thinks the US Federal Reserve is going to adopt a "too conservative" stance re: Monetary Policy, has to be doing some grade "A" crack.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:55 am

The question: what's the source of the FUD?

It's not like Uncle Ben is going to stop buying t-bills anytime soon.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:59 am

Bernanke probably could have just sneezed and the markets would have dropped. People were waiting for any slightly negative thing from him to take profits and run. I just wonder how low we are going to go. DOW down below 15000 at 14880 right now.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am

columbia wrote:The question: what's the source of the FUD?

It's not like Uncle Ben is going to stop buying t-bills anytime soon.

We'll he's hinted that "Operation Twist" may start scaling down a bit earlier than the market had expected.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:26 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
columbia wrote:I'm interested in the take on this from the various investors here....

Since everyone else is a cold hearted jagoff and did not answer when this was first posted....it wouldnt be a bad idea to try and max out your 403b, but kenny the kangaroo would suggest to probably split any extra savings between that liquid emergency fund and the 403b. Maxing out a retirement plan is great, but in this gentleman's opinion its never a bad idea to have extra cash available.

Yeah, I've decided on the following plan:

Max out my retirement possibilities and save away the rest for the next crash.
If I can buy big into the market when it hits about half of what it is now (which was the historical low on two occasions for my primary index fund), I won't be disappointed.
(ie It's at 40 and I'll go all in - aside from my minimum comfort for savings - at 20.)

Lather. Rinse. Repeat after that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:45 am

columbia wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:

Yeah, I've decided on the following plan:

Max out my retirement possibilities and save away the rest for the next crash.
If I can buy big into the market when it hits about half of what it is now (which was the historical low on two occasions for my primary index fund), I won't be disappointed.
(ie It's at 40 and I'll go all in - aside from my minimum comfort for savings - at 20.)

Lather. Rinse. Repeat after that.

"Save away the rest". <<< The question is WHERE?

But as a whole, your strategy is outstanding, I mean what other choices do you really have anyway?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:47 am

That's the 64 billion question, EPP.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:05 am

A good interview with Vanguard founder Jack Bogle:
http://www.morningstar.com/cover/videoc ... ?id=599803

He makes an interesting point about treating future social security income as your safety/fixed income investing.
The result being staying away from investments in bonds on a personal level and simply sticking with index stock funds.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm getting a real weird feeling about Fridays job numbers. If they come out much much better than expected, the markets could get jumpy.

Thinking of playing the volatility through VIX options.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:29 pm

I decided to put 5K into a big energy fund.
I'll let you know in 25 years, if that was a good idea. :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm getting a real weird feeling about Fridays job numbers. If they come out much much better than expected, the markets could get jumpy.

epp,

would you consider a bet on the price of treausury bonds falling using options a good idea or bad idea?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:46 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:I'm getting a real weird feeling about Fridays job numbers. If they come out much much better than expected, the markets could get jumpy.

epp,

would you consider a bet on the price of treausury bonds falling using options a good idea or bad idea?

If you find a pure play on that... absolutely

The question isn't if Rates are going up (and Bond prices are going to fall) but when

Careful on the expiration dates... that's the trick
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Those 10 year yields are going up.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR