ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thread

Postby IanMoran on Sun May 12, 2013 4:15 am

I did this thread last round and it seemed to work out alright, so...

Thoughts?
Predictions?

I'll go Pens in 4 with Vokoun, in 6 if start Fleury

Go pens
Last edited by IanMoran on Sun May 12, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: ROUND 1 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby André on Sun May 12, 2013 5:01 am

They're a tough, resilient bunch for sure. I'm not very confident making a prediction but alright. Pens in six.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Easton on Sun May 12, 2013 5:10 am

Hooray -- I won't have to hear Grabner's name anymore.

Pens in 6.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sun May 12, 2013 5:56 am

Lol round 1
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Sun May 12, 2013 6:10 am

canaan wrote:Lol round 1

Fixed
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: ROUND 2 PENGUINS VS. SENATORS Pre-Game 1 Discussion Thre

Postby Headshot77 on Sun May 12, 2013 6:20 am

I believe we have the offensive power to make Anderson look a lot worse than he did against the struggling Canadiens. This Ottawa group could very well pull off another upset if they can continue to play so well in third periods, and if Anderson is truly lights-out. However, I just don't see it happening. This is a slower group than the Isles, and if they still express overt resentment towards Matt Cooke, allowing his presence to draw penalties, or *ahem* get them off their game, it will be over much quicker, but much uglier, than the first round was. We got this.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Beveridge on Sun May 12, 2013 7:42 am

Pens in 6 (cause closing out a series at home is overrated)
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Sun May 12, 2013 8:07 am

Ottawa, while not as fast as the Islanders are still quick enough to give the Pens D fits. This is going the distance.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sun May 12, 2013 8:20 am

Pens in 5. They get the first round monkey off their backs, and come out rejuvenated. Even though they looked really good against the Habs, Ottawa is a better match up for us. Should have time to look at the tape and figure out what we were doing wrong in rd 1 and make adjustments. Should also have plenty of time to look at the tapes from the montreal - ottawa series and figure out how to adjust to what ottawa was doing successfully. They can obviously do the same thing with us, but might be somewhat confused as they go from game to game since in a lot of ways, it was all over the place. And if they look at what the Isles did successfully and try to mimic that, they're just not going to be able to do it. They're just not quite fast enough. And overall, Anderson is overrated.
Last edited by smoothmoneyb on Sun May 12, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby malksby8771 on Sun May 12, 2013 8:21 am

Ottawa? Otta-lose? Penguins? Pens-win!

But seriously, the sens can't score. Gonchar was their second leading scorer for cryin out loud. We should be able to handle them. That said, Pens in 5 with Vokoun and I refuse to make a prediction if we go back with the flounder after that horrendous round 1 performance.
malksby8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun May 12, 2013 8:37 am

I'd don't know. It doesn't matter who we play as long as we don't pay stupid.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sun May 12, 2013 8:40 am

Bylsma better have his coaching hat on. Paul MacLean is a legit coach that gets a lot out of his team...

I'm looking forward to seeing the posts about HCDB getting out coached : O
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 am

Sens in 6. The game plan to beat the Pens is evident and Ottawa has already been waiting for days able to start planning. The Senators are also looking for revenge on what they believe was Cooke intentionally taking out their best guy. I don't believe the Pens will be willing to match the intensity that Ottawa brings.

I'm seeing a lot of rationalizations like the Islanders were a bad match-up, the Pens just weren't used to playing together, but the reality is the Pena just lId a huge egg and won on talent alone. It was very clear when the Pens were actually moving their feet because they took games over when that happened. Problem is that only happened for two full games and brief parts of others.

If you think the Pens are going to magically flip the switch because they got the first round monoey off their back, look back to the 2010 playoffs. They struggled to beat Ottawa last time with that series featuring some real poor efforts. What they followed it up with was a series with Montreal that was eerily similar to what we just saw with the Islanders.

One thing the Pens can do to help their chances is to stick with Vokoun but a lot of people seem to think they're going to go back to Fleury.

If the Pens are willing to work they can make short work of the Senators. I think the first round showed us they're not willing to do that and the fact that they won a series despite that makes me fear that they think that will be good enough again.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby iWonTheCup87 on Sun May 12, 2013 9:00 am

i think Ottawa isnt that good, yes i know they beat Montreal but come on Montreal laid down and put up no fight at all. Montreal down the stretch was awful so it was easy to see that they would probably lose. I am not saying this is a cake walk at all but I just dont think Ottawa is that good.

IF the Pens play smart hockey they shouldnt have a huge issue with this team. BUT if they continue to play like they did last night we are getting smoked. And Anderson is solid but he doesnt scare me, Ott fans seems to think hes Patrick Roy or something and hes not BUT he is good enough to steal a game.

I wont predict anything because i have to see if the Pens got their wake up call and learned from the Isles or not. I am hoping this series was the best thing that could have happened to the Pens and they wake up and realize they are not invincible.
iWonTheCup87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun May 12, 2013 9:03 am

I think/hope/believe the Pens will have a completely different mindset going into this series, because this time they know from the beginning they play a team capable of taking them the distance. Much as they tried not to fall into that trap, they never gave the Isles enough credit til the end.

Pens in 6.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mariojr on Sun May 12, 2013 9:11 am

I tend to agree with Henry Hank. The Pens don't necessarily ever learn. They'll go back to playing lackadaisical hockey until they face losing, then they'll try to flip the switch. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not.

Vokoun gives them the best chance of winning, and I certainly hope DB sees it that way.

I hope they keep Iginla with Crosby and Kunitz with Malkin, but no matter the lines, if they don't move their feet, if they don't come back and support the defense rather than sitting in the neutral zone waiting for the stretch pass that rarely arrives, and if they keep turning it over, they're going to struggle. The Sens have more talent to actually put the puck in the net as well as better goaltending (anyone has to be better than Nabokov was this series).

I'm still gonna predict Pens in six, however. What I said last night was in frustration from watching how they were playing. I went with Pens in six the first round, and that turned out to be accurate.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dbizzle66 on Sun May 12, 2013 9:12 am

This series goes to 6 games -
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby silentom on Sun May 12, 2013 9:12 am

Pens in 6. Fleury redemption!
silentom
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun May 12, 2013 9:15 am

Sens in 6.

Competent coaching, better overall talent than the Islanders, and a better goaltender will end the Pens' season. And Spezza might be back, too.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mariojr on Sun May 12, 2013 9:17 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Sens in 6.

Competent coaching, better overall talent than the Islanders, and a better goaltender will end the Pens' season. And Spezza might be back, too.

See I agree with you in your premises, but not in your conclusion. I think the Pens have the necessary talent and will up their game.
mariojr
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sun May 12, 2013 9:19 am

KG wrote:Bylsma better have his coaching hat on. Paul MacLean is a legit coach that gets a lot out of his team...

I'm looking forward to seeing the posts about HCDB getting out coached : O

Way to get out in front of what will likely be very legitimate, deserved criticism of HCDB. Won't change what happens though.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sun May 12, 2013 9:20 am

I think this one goes 7, and I think Ottawa wins it.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun May 12, 2013 9:30 am

penmyst wrote:I think this one goes 7, and I think Ottawa wins it.

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DelPen on Sun May 12, 2013 9:47 am

Ottawa is irrelevant. Pens either play like they should or play stupid.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 am

Erik Karlsson ‏@ErikKarlsson65 11h
Wonder how many Q I'm gonna get now about my injury. Lol #whocares #oldnews #playtowin

I think the results of the Isles series were partially due to it being a bad matchup (the Isles gave the Pens a tough time all season, even when the Pens were playing sound hockey), but mostly due to the Isles being the hungrier team for almost the entire series. I wish I knew why. Probably because the Isles have been in playoff mode for the last 3-4 weeks.

Whether conscious or subconscious, the Pens played like they could beat the Isles without their best game...and they did. But they can't beat Ottawa like that.

I'm sure they know it, so I say Pens in 6. I still believe.
Last edited by Shakes on Sun May 12, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins