The Penalty Killing

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Penalty Killing

Postby burghsportsguys on Sun May 12, 2013 10:53 am

I'm reading and hearing that the PK is a strength because they killed 18 out of 20, but I'm watching this PK unit allowing Tavares all day to control the puck, I'm seeing the Islanders miss wide open nets, and I'm wondering if 18 of 20 would be 15 of 20 if we were facing a better PP unit.

Am I crazy or are the numbers lying to us here? If they play like this against Ottawa, Karlsson, Alfie, Gonchar, et al., and going to have a field day.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am

burghsportsguys wrote:I'm reading and hearing that the PK is a strength because they killed 18 out of 20, but I'm watching this PK unit allowing Tavares all day to control the puck, I'm seeing the Islanders miss wide open nets, and I'm wondering if 18 of 20 would be 15 of 20 if we were facing a better PP unit.

Am I crazy or are the numbers lying to us here? If they play like this against Ottawa, Karlsson, Alfie, Gonchar, et al., and going to have a field day.


I was neither impressed nor unimpressed with the PK. It was adequate but not great.

Our forwards are impossibly slow, which makes it difficult to close gaps. Going forward, I don't have much faith in this unit, but at least it was better than last year. Woo hoo?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,523
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby Gaucho on Sun May 12, 2013 11:16 am

Who cares what it would be. Number don't lie, they just are.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,948
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun May 12, 2013 11:18 am

Gaucho wrote:Who cares what it would be. Number don't lie, they just are.

This, 90 percent efficiency is 90 percent, I dont care how it looks.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby Shakes on Sun May 12, 2013 11:28 am

Special teams were huge for the Pens in this series and won Game 3. The one that really sticks out is the effort by Cooke, et al. to kill Iginla's penalty to keep it 4-4 in that game when the place was going nuts.

That said, I agree to he extent that the PK can't be called a "strength." But it really doesn't need to be if the Pens start playing like they can ES.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,893
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby burghsportsguys on Sun May 12, 2013 11:30 am

shmenguin wrote:I was neither impressed nor unimpressed with the PK. It was adequate but not great.

Our forwards are impossibly slow, which makes it difficult to close gaps. Going forward, I don't have much faith in this unit, but at least it was better than last year. Woo hoo?


I'd agree with that.

And as others have said, yes, the numbers are the numbers. But in this case, the numbers are being used to validate the performance of the unit. In the DBPC last night, they brought it up as a strength. I'm not sure it's a strength, that's all I'm trying to say. If they play like this for entire playoffs and post over 80%, I'd be surprised.

I saw Sid in there for a faceoff last night. He lost the faceoff, but after that, he pressured the puck on a few passes, and eventually forced it out of zone. It would be nice to see more of that from the standard PKers.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun May 12, 2013 11:36 am

burghsportsguys wrote:
shmenguin wrote:I was neither impressed nor unimpressed with the PK. It was adequate but not great.

Our forwards are impossibly slow, which makes it difficult to close gaps. Going forward, I don't have much faith in this unit, but at least it was better than last year. Woo hoo?


I'd agree with that.

And as others have said, yes, the numbers are the numbers. But in this case, the numbers are being used to validate the performance of the unit. In the DBPC last night, they brought it up as a strength. I'm not sure it's a strength, that's all I'm trying to say. If they play like this for entire playoffs and post over 80%, I'd be surprised.

I saw Sid in there for a faceoff last night. He lost the faceoff, but after that, he pressured the puck on a few passes, and eventually forced it out of zone. It would be nice to see more of that from the standard PKers.

It would be nice to see Crosby on the PK more often, not just for defensive zone draws and immediately off the ice. If 66 can play the PK, so can 87.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 11:36 am

20 is a lousy sample size.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,523
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun May 12, 2013 11:37 am

shmenguin wrote:20 is a lousy sample size.

I'll take it over the sample size we witnessed last year.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby shmenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 11:48 am

It's most likely that the PK we saw over the whole year is the one we have now.

In other words, we can't take dumb penalties.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,523
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 12, 2013 11:53 am

The Isles missed a lot of relative tap ins on the PP last night. They completely changed their system, too. When Fleury was in net, they tried to generate chances and attack from the goal line; last night, they adjusted to using cross crease passes. They adapted their PP to attack each goalie's biggest weakness but we're still quite unsuccessful - and both Fleury and Vokoun are a big reason why.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,139
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun May 12, 2013 12:02 pm

The Isles couldn't generate a good shot from the left point, so that could be ignored. The Pens PK did not do a good job clearing the puck all series, and that will have to improve.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,915
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Northern Indiana

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby tfrizz on Sun May 12, 2013 1:03 pm

tfrizz wrote:The Isles missed a lot of relative tap ins on the PP last night. They completely changed their system, too. When Fleury was in net, they tried to generate chances and attack from the goal line; last night, they adjusted to using cross crease passes. They adapted their PP to attack each goalie's biggest weakness but we're still quite unsuccessful - and both Fleury and Vokoun are a big reason why.


Just to back this up with some numbers:

Fleury put up a .905 sv% on the PK in the round (2 goals against on 21 shots) and Vokoun put up a perfect 1.000 sv% on the PK (0 goals against on 10 shots). Both very good numbers on the PK.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,139
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: The Penalty Killing

Postby ScottishPenguin on Sun May 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Coaches are expected to say things. Reporters are expected to write things. This is a thing; it will suffice.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:39 pm


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FallenHero96, Scate and 14 guests

e-mail