'13 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 6 vs NYI - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby stopper40 on Sun May 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Beveridge wrote:Thoughts:

-Most posters must be miserable all day (I get there are some glaring issues that need to be fixed, but if you're expecting perfection, spoiler alert: it will never happen)
-Glad none of you run the team I root for
-Islanders are a pro team, give them credit
-I'm not sure if Pens advanced or people posting like the Pens or both

If I didn't know the score of the game las night, I would swear they lost reading this board today. Some posters are becoming like Steeler fans with their same sense of entitlement and expecting the other team to roll over and die because rhey're playing Pittsburgh.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Sun May 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Henry Hank wrote:It's not elitist to expect a #1 seed to outplay a #8 seed. It's disturbing how much of that series was carried by the Islanders. Don't want to hear about bad match-up, the Islanders going into the playoffs hot, the Pens not having time to mesh. It's messed up that the Pens appeared disinterested even in the third period of a tied elimination game. There just seems to be something wrong with this bunch. We should all be glad they won but warning signs are present that this playoff run isn't going to go much further. Fans should be able to expect more out of a #1 seed.

Which team led for 53% of the series and which team led 13%?

Before game 6, the numbers were 65% and 7%.

Spoiler:
The team that won the series led 53%, was tied 33%, and the team that lost led a mere 13%
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun May 12, 2013 3:10 pm

penny lane wrote:https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2-h7cpxq1is/UY8JqK6MnTI/AAAAAAACMPs/6W2nAnx3v9c/s512/orpikkick.gif

Dear Brooks, you have time to work on that goal celebration move. :P 8-)

To be fair, he hasn't had much practice. :P

As for all the "what's wrong with the board??" talk, the Pens did a number on their fans with recent postseason play, so this is the result. A lot (not all) are preparing (have prepared) themselves for a loss.

I get as jammed up as he next fan, but I'm not stressed today. As someone said above, today is about enjoying the other hockey.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby slipshod on Sun May 12, 2013 3:23 pm

I'm just hoping that the Sens don't have the seemingly magical ability to get in the way of every damn attempt to chip a puck past them. Was it just me or did the Isles get in the way and stop pucks along the wall a lot more than seemed humanly possible?
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens2005 on Sun May 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Can I find Mike Lange's radio replays from Game 6 anywhere?
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shakes on Sun May 12, 2013 3:29 pm

pens2005 wrote:Can I find Mike Lange's radio replays from Game 6 anywhere?

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/podcastbrowser.htm
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun May 12, 2013 3:35 pm

slipshod wrote:I'm just hoping that the Sens don't have the seemingly magical ability to get in the way of every damn attempt to chip a puck past them. Was it just me or did the Isles get in the way and stop pucks along the wall a lot more than seemed humanly possible?

It's not magic, I think that is what preparation and dedication from players to stick to a game plan will do.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun May 12, 2013 3:42 pm

So did the Pens win?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bse on Sun May 12, 2013 3:53 pm

"- PK was strong, had the effect of nullifying Isles momentum"

I disagree. PK was downright terrible, just standing still and giving prime scoring opportunities at will.

It was based on luck and Vokoun's good effort and nothing else. The have to improve it.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 pm

bse wrote:"- PK was strong, had the effect of nullifying Isles momentum"

I disagree. PK was downright terrible, just standing still and giving prime scoring opportunities at will.

It was based on luck and Vokoun's good effort and nothing else. The have to improve it.

So when they were killing penalties with Fleury in, was it a fluke?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bse on Sun May 12, 2013 4:03 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

This thread is about game six.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun May 12, 2013 4:04 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Fleury has a pretty good PK SV%, doesn't he? I'm surprised they weren't trying to run their PP from behind the net.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Sun May 12, 2013 4:17 pm

A great thing about having your series won, is watching the other games knowing that you've cleared that hurdle. A sweet time of the playoffs before the stress fires up again.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sun May 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Inkio wrote:I was shooting a wedding last night(I'm a photographer) and luckily the game ended during the reception. I was checking my phone every minute to see the score change, and when the OT goal showed on my phone I yelled at the top of my lungs 'YES!' and threw my hands up in the air. No one noticed :)

Glad that didn't happen right as the pastor asked if anyone knew of any reason why this man and woman shouldn't be married :wink:
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun May 12, 2013 5:23 pm

relantel wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:It's not elitist to expect a #1 seed to outplay a #8 seed. It's disturbing how much of that series was carried by the Islanders. Don't want to hear about bad match-up, the Islanders going into the playoffs hot, the Pens not having time to mesh. It's messed up that the Pens appeared disinterested even in the third period of a tied elimination game. There just seems to be something wrong with this bunch. We should all be glad they won but warning signs are present that this playoff run isn't going to go much further. Fans should be able to expect more out of a #1 seed.

Which team led for 53% of the series and which team led 13%?

Before game 6, the numbers were 65% and 7%.

Spoiler:
The team that won the series led 53%, was tied 33%, and the team that lost led a mere 13%

Rare is the game where one team leads the game 0% of the time but wins the game, but it happened last night.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Sun May 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:

Rare is the game where one team leads the game 0% of the time but wins the game, but it happened last night.

BEPF

true enough. Caps have done that twice in their three wins, so it's not unheard of.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun May 12, 2013 6:06 pm

stopper40 wrote:
Beveridge wrote:Thoughts:

-Most posters must be miserable all day (I get there are some glaring issues that need to be fixed, but if you're expecting perfection, spoiler alert: it will never happen)
-Glad none of you run the team I root for
-Islanders are a pro team, give them credit
-I'm not sure if Pens advanced or people posting like the Pens or both

If I didn't know the score of the game las night, I would swear they lost reading this board today. Some posters are becoming like Steeler fans with their same sense of entitlement and expecting the other team to roll over and die because rhey're playing Pittsburgh.

There is nothing wrong with not being super psyched after that series. For all the posters who blamed last year on Fleury I do find it funny that it can't work the other way - we basically only won this series because of Nabokov.

it doesn't matter any stats or what happened in two games - the Isles carried the play for most of Game 5 until the first goal and a fluke goal for example. They couldn't get the big save because of him they were playing great but swimming up stream too much when they really should not have been. That won't happen again in the playoffs.

None of this is to say it matters in Round 2 the Pens could easily wipe them off the ice in 5 games. But the general consensus on this board is clear - play like we just did against a team with a much superior goalie and defense we get destroyed.

Everyone seems to pick the stats or theories they want. We have trouble with speed teams (actually we have just as much trouble with teams that bottle up the neutral zone - NJ and Boston were strange games for us) but the reality is simple: play like that we don't win the cup.

7 games series are different in hockey because teams have the ability to change up their schemes so regular season stats mean squat. Now since this is a previous game thread I'll say this, we won and showed some character of coming back. But have zero shot at the cup unless shore up our breakout and give some help to our slower dmen. Sutter is starting to concern me, but so glad Glass is on the bench. TK played well but I think anyone would have been an improvement.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sun May 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:When I hear "but the Isles deserved it!" I get pretty annoyed. I think of a kid who studies for 20 hours for a test and never misses class but still just doesn't get it yet and gets a C+ vs. a kid who has a photographic memory or something and can get by with studying for 2 hours and gets all As. In a results-based context, the kid who got the As, if he got them ethically, shouldn't be ashamed of a damn thing, imo.

Oh, I certainly wasn't ashamed. :)

Whew, what a series. Had to watch 2 of the games in a TV truck and not being able to fully concentrate on the game. Last nite, I could watch it in a bar with a beer in front of me. This kind of excitement is what these playoffs are all about. Throw the numbers next to the team's names out because everyone is pretty much on an even playing ground (unless you're the Canucks and you're awful). That was by far, the ugliest playoff win I've seen any team have in just about any sport. But they don't have to hang in the Louvre to be effective. Very happy to be done with the Isles and now on to the next pests. I'm very torn about whether to want Fleury in net to start the series. But if the defense is going to continue to play irresponsible, I think I feel better about Vokoun at this point.

Anyone know any good bars in Irving, TX to watch games? At least I won't be dealing with any live shows during the games this time (provided NBC doesn't get any bright ideas about playing afternoon games on the weekend).
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens2005 on Sun May 12, 2013 8:32 pm

Shakes wrote:
pens2005 wrote:Can I find Mike Lange's radio replays from Game 6 anywhere?

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/podcastbrowser.htm

Thanks!!!
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 am

In both 1991, 1992, and 2009, the Penguins trailed badly at one point in a series in the early rounds of the playoffs, and everyone said "they will get destroyed in the next round" and those teams won the Cup.

My only concern is that there have been bad habits developed under this coaching staff that were not there under the previous coach. These mistakes did the Pens teams in from 1993 until 1997, when the country club was in full swing after their two Cup wins. The series against the Islanders showed that there are problems that still exist in those areas.

Having said that, the encouraging thing is that the Pens current roster is full of players who are desperate to win a Cup. Many of these players were captains on their former teams and rock stars in their previous cities. The locker room is brimming with character guys, unlike last year's team, and I think the longer these playoffs go, the more we'll see that.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon May 13, 2013 8:37 am

Shakes wrote:
penny lane wrote:https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-2-h7cpxq1is/UY8JqK6MnTI/AAAAAAACMPs/6W2nAnx3v9c/s512/orpikkick.gif

Dear Brooks, you have time to work on that goal celebration move. :P 8-)

To be fair, he hasn't had much practice. :P

As for all the "what's wrong with the board??" talk, the Pens did a number on their fans with recent postseason play, so this is the result. A lot (not all) are preparing (have prepared) themselves for a loss.

I get as jammed up as he next fan, but I'm not stressed today. As someone said above, today is about enjoying the other hockey.

Thanks Penny, I missed that on the original broadcast. And my not seein it might have had something to do with me doing my own (glad it wasn't captured on video) dance. Brooks celebration move was sort of Napoleon Dynamite meets Chuck Norris! Right fist pump, left leg kick! Here is to hoping we see it a few more times. (I think he saw Crankshaft popping them in, figured if he could do it).

Shakes is right, I've watched a lot of other games and have seen other "good" teams make boneheaded plays. It does pay to do your "homework" and not measure the Pens to the Pens of the regular season. The opponents are playing much better and its not easy to execute with such precision that we know the Pens are capable of playing.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Mon May 13, 2013 9:37 am

Hey, certainly glad we moved on. I think the remaining teams won't be as forgiving as the Islanders were if these performances continue, however.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon May 13, 2013 10:16 am

pfim wrote:Hey, certainly glad we moved on. I think the remaining teams won't be as forgiving as the Islanders were if these performances continue, however.

Islanders and Leafs have always seemed to give the Pens problems where even when the suck the Pens always seems to lower their level of play. Same thing happens in Florida too. On paper the Isles are always an easy matchup but in reality they make us look bad a few times a season.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 am

DelPen wrote:
pfim wrote:Hey, certainly glad we moved on. I think the remaining teams won't be as forgiving as the Islanders were if these performances continue, however.

Islanders and Leafs have always seemed to give the Pens problems where even when the suck the Pens always seems to lower their level of play. Same thing happens in Florida too. On paper the Isles are always an easy matchup but in reality they make us look bad a few times a season.

And the Pens always make them look bad a few times too, which is exactly what happened in the series. In the end, the Pens' playoff experience was a big factor, plus the awful play of Nabokov. When Vokoun stepped in and actually started stopping pucks, that was the end for the Islanders.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby relantel on Mon May 13, 2013 11:41 am

there was a chance a few minutes before Orpik's goal where it looked like the puck might have gone in & out, or could have been post, but never got to see a replay. Had to assume it was reviewed and/or was nothing (i.e. my poor eyesight), as I thought there had been a stoppage/face off in between that and the Orpik goal. But don't see any record of it in the play by play. So maybe I am just going crazy. :scared:
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins