Official Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Rocco on Mon May 13, 2013 12:01 pm

http://scouts.baseballhall.org/scout?s-sabr-id=e197672f

Take a look at some of Dave Littlefield's evaluations from his time as a scout. He may have missed on a few guys.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Troy Loney wrote:http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/05/anthony-rizzos-extension-is-a-good-guide-for-starling-marte.html

Thank heavens this guy isn't the GM. You really want to committ $35M to Marte already? You can make a very similar deal years from now and have much much more certainty about performance.

Well, if you have more certainty about his performance, and his performance remains the same, the price will go up. I'd probably wait just because the Pirates have a finite resource as far as money goes, but it's not completely off the wall.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens Fan Since 1970 on Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Once again, the Pirates are playing well and along come the Brewers on the schedule. Please sweep or at least, take 3 out of 4 from these pains.
Pens Fan Since 1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

pfim wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013/05/anthony-rizzos-extension-is-a-good-guide-for-starling-marte.html

Thank heavens this guy isn't the GM. You really want to committ $35M to Marte already? You can make a very similar deal years from now and have much much more certainty about performance.

Well, if you have more certainty about his performance, and his performance remains the same, the price will go up. I'd probably wait just because the Pirates have a finite resource as far as money goes, but it's not completely off the wall.

I think the riskiness of committing that money at this point is great compared to the increased salary demands that would come from increased performance security. McCutchen's contract was for $51M, So you aren't looking for more than a $15M increase over a 5 to 6 year contract. Granted that money would all be back loaded, but still, the time window is still pretty large to get a better idea of what this guy is going to bring before you lock him up.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon May 13, 2013 12:58 pm

Pens Fan Since 1970 wrote:Once again, the Pirates are playing well and along come the Brewers on the schedule. Please sweep or at least, take 3 out of 4 from these pains.

I bet they take 3/4, brewers are a porous road team.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon May 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Rocco wrote:http://scouts.baseballhall.org/scout?s-sabr-id=e197672f

Take a look at some of Dave Littlefield's evaluations from his time as a scout. He may have missed on a few guys.

So you're telling me that you disagree with his belief that Jason Giambi was a future AAA journeyman who might see some time in MLB as a bat off the bench?
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Why didn't Ron Villone's scouting report include the line "Future opening day starter?"
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Mon May 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:
Rocco wrote:http://scouts.baseballhall.org/scout?s-sabr-id=e197672f

So you're telling me that you disagree with his belief that Jason Giambi was a future AAA journeyman who might see some time in MLB as a bat off the bench?

In fairness to DL, steroids may have altered Giambi's future. He might have whiffed a little on Jeter's ceiling.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 pm

And Jeffrey Hammonds, though to be fair I think most missed on him.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon May 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Neil Walker back from the DL. Jordy Mercer sent back down. John McDonald retains his spot as Hurdle's pet.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 pm

The Pirates "reasoning" for keeping McDonald is because he is the emergency catcher and with Martin's neck issue, he is needed.

I put reasoning in quotes because I still don't find it to be very reasonable.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 13, 2013 1:32 pm

I didn't even know there was a position player named McDonald on this team.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

He hits about as well as the pitching McDonald if that helps.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Thats a garbage rationale.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

TheGhostofGoulet wrote:The Pirates "reasoning" for keeping McDonald is because he is the emergency catcher and with Martin's neck issue, he is needed.

I put reasoning in quotes because I still don't find it to be very reasonable.

I thought Inge was the emergency catcher? And Walker came up as a catcher, so in a true emergency he could go there.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Rocco, finding the hole in the Pirates reasoning.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Mon May 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Sounds more like an emergency answer to explain Hurdle's rationale.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 pm

NEWSFLASH PIRATES FANS

JORDY MERCER WONT GET PLAYING TIME AS LONG AS CLINT BARMES IS HITTING AT LEAST .120 AND NEIL WALKER IS HEALTHY. JORDY MERCER COULD BE THE NEXT HONUS EFFIN WAGNER BUT UNLESS THEY GIVE UP ON BARMES, MERCER WONT PLAY. PERIOD.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pfim on Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 pm

The only solace in this is that Hurdle probably wouldn't have used him once Walker was back anyway.

Still, there's a greater chance that Mercer will be a utility-type than a regular. And he's a better player than McDonald.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Mon May 13, 2013 2:02 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:NEWSFLASH PIRATES FANS

JORDY MERCER WONT GET PLAYING TIME AS LONG AS CLINT BARMES IS HITTING AT LEAST .120 AND NEIL WALKER IS HEALTHY. JORDY MERCER COULD BE THE NEXT HONUS EFFIN WAGNER BUT UNLESS THEY GIVE UP ON BARMES, MERCER WONT PLAY. PERIOD.

This. I find it downright amusing that people still think the Pirates are going to make sound roster moves and logical decisions. Guys... it's the Pirates...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby kovyfalcon27 on Mon May 13, 2013 3:52 pm

pfim wrote:The only solace in this is that Hurdle probably wouldn't have used him once Walker was back anyway.

Still, there's a greater chance that Mercer will be a utility-type than a regular. And he's a better player than McDonald.

Mercer has more homeruns than McDonald has hits lol. Classic Hurdle "Need the veteran leadership, even if said veteran shouldn't be in the league anymore" BS.
kovyfalcon27
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Mon May 13, 2013 3:56 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:NEWSFLASH PIRATES FANS

Fine, but I would rather he be on the bench that McDonald, who can't hit and isn't that good with the glove.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I didn't even know there was a position player named McDonald on this team.

Same, I just assumed they were talking about J-Mac. Even if they dropped Macdonald, why not bring up Sanchez if Martin gets hurt to back up McHenry?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon May 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Troy Loney wrote:
pfim wrote:

I think the riskiness of committing that money at this point is great compared to the increased salary demands that would come from increased performance security. McCutchen's contract was for $51M, So you aren't looking for more than a $15M increase over a 5 to 6 year contract. Granted that money would all be back loaded, but still, the time window is still pretty large to get a better idea of what this guy is going to bring before you lock him up.

The risk you run is that a team does something dumb that screws up the entire market. If you think Marte's going to sustain this type of performance or get better, then you better lock him up before he gets close to arbitration. I'd wait until after the season before talking about a new deal though.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm

I cannot understand keeping John Mcdonald over Mercer either. Keeping Barmes as the everyday SS I can understand, even he's been hitting better lately, and Neil is one of our best players when he's healthy and isn't trying to pretend to be a switch hitter, but Mercer did nothing but produce and I don't think he's somebody who needs a lot more development in the minors.

Anyways, Rickie Weeks and Roids are out of the lineup tonight, but I'm sure we'll find a way to lose just because they're the Brewers.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR