Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pseudo sellout Streak...Anyone need 45 together?

Postby eddiefromirwin on Mon May 13, 2013 1:28 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:How quickly they forget.

What did they forget?

They forgot how many time this club has been in bankruptcy in its history. Can you name a franchise in any sport that has been through bankruptcy more often than the Pens?
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 13, 2013 1:36 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

What did they forget?

They forgot how many time this club has been in bankruptcy in its history. Can you name a franchise in any sport that has been through bankruptcy more often than the Pens?

Different times, different circumstances, different ownership group, and they seem to be very healthy financially now.

And I think they know while the franchise is at or near a high, it is time to cash in, because I remember when tickets were dirt cheap and no one was coming, they had some lean times.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddiefromirwin on Mon May 13, 2013 1:42 pm

newarenanow wrote:
eddiefromirwin wrote:
newarenanow wrote:

What did they forget?

Different times, different circumstances, different ownership group, and they seem to be very healthy financially now.

And I think they know while the franchise is at or near a high, it is time to cash in, because I remember when tickets were dirt cheap and no one was coming, they had some lean times.

Tickets have gotten so high that they aren't selling them...well, I guess I should preface that comment....they are selling them to college kids for 25 bucks. Most likely more in this round than in the previous round. What bothers me is that there isn't the demand for playoff tickets like there has been in previous years. This has a lot to do with price, opponent, weekday game, and of course, fans getting spoiled.

I would also comment that the bankruptcies the pens have gone through were clearly at different times and under different circumstances from each other. The last one happened after a long winning stretch when they were contenders yearly, and paying top dollar for players. This should sound very familiar.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 13, 2013 1:50 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:I would also comment that the bankruptcies the pens have gone through were clearly at different times and under different circumstances from each other. The last one happened after a long winning stretch when they were contenders yearly, and paying top dollar for players. This should sound very familiar.

.....where there was no salary cap and in order to keep those players, the franchise had to overspend. Not familar at all.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

They have a new arena, are sold out, there is a cap and the two best players in the game. And can't sell out playoff games for 3 years in a row and apparently are not making a ton of profit. It's not that far off either.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 13, 2013 2:03 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:They have a new arena, are sold out, there is a cap and the two best players in the game. And can't sell out playoff games for 3 years in a row and apparently are not making a ton of profit. It's not that far off either.

And yet the value of their franchise increased 12% last year and is ranked as the 9th most valuable franchise in the league behind all of the big market teams.

And because they have to student rush a few hundrend tickets doesn't mean they are having major issues, especially this early in the playoffs. And are you sure they are not making a ton of profit, or is that your overreaction using your own math w/o knowing or seeing thier books?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ossa on Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm

There are many tickets on TicketExchange that are selling for less than the Pens are charging. No wonder a lot of the tickets are being sold to student rush. I'm not mad and don't really care, but they are pricing tickets too high.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 2:06 pm

newarenanow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:They have a new arena, are sold out, there is a cap and the two best players in the game. And can't sell out playoff games for 3 years in a row and apparently are not making a ton of profit. It's not that far off either.

And yet the value of their franchise increased 12% last year and is ranked as the 9th most valuable franchise in the league behind all of the big market teams.

And because they have to student rush a few hundrend tickets doesn't mean they are having major issues, especially this early in the playoffs. And are you sure they are not making a ton of profit, or is that your overreaction using your own math w/o knowing or seeing thier books?

It's my overreaction to pricing that makes zero sense, and about 100 other reasons including completely unnecessary cutbacks and what has been published.

And don't say Forbes is wrong on their estimations of profit if you say they are the 9th most valuable. It's all estimating until their books are open both arguments yours above and mine.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby C4 Row E on Mon May 13, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm surprised student rush didn't start at 12:01 PM today.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 13, 2013 2:10 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:It's my overreaction to pricing that makes zero sense, and about 100 other reasons including completely unnecessary cutbacks and what has been published.

And don't say Forbes is wrong on their estimations of profit if you say they are the 9th most valuable. It's all estimating until their books are open both arguments yours above and mine.

I know Forbes is based on estimates, but I dont' think they'd be using estimates to place the Pens that high if the franchise was hurting financially.

I'd go by them a little more than I'd go by you.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 2:13 pm

newarenanow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:It's my overreaction to pricing that makes zero sense, and about 100 other reasons including completely unnecessary cutbacks and what has been published.

I know Forbes is based on estimates, but I dont' think they'd be using estimates to place the Pens that high if the franchise was hurting financially.

My point was Forbes also said they are losing money it breaking even at best each year. Can't have it both ways when comparing data just saying Forbes is right in value but wrong on yearly estimate in theory.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My point was Forbes also said they are losing money it breaking even at best each year. Can't have it both ways when comparing data just saying Forbes is right in value but wrong on yearly estimate in theory.

And you also know very well that most businesses try to show as little profit as possible.

I think the owners are doing fine financially.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 2:23 pm

newarenanow wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:My point was Forbes also said they are losing money it breaking even at best each year. Can't have it both ways when comparing data just saying Forbes is right in value but wrong on yearly estimate in theory.

And you also know very well that most businesses try to show as little profit as possible.

I think the owners are doing fine financially.

Haha ok lol: sports teama are hiding money from a source that has no access to their books but only estimates?

"Hey guys lets out price tickets so we have to sell so many students for what should be high in demand games that way Forbes will screw up their estimates! Hahahahanananaha"

Sorry to be sarcastic but that's a completely different argument anyways.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Good debating with you. Agree to disagree on a lot of aspects of this. You make some good points but I still think they screwed up. Have a good one.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 pm

newarenanow wrote:

You are missing the point. I am sure that the club is doing well.....NOW. But there are certain things that are a red flag to me. Overpricing the tickets cuts out the middle class guy, which is basically most of Pittsburgh. Players are transient beasts. They come and go. And the Pens are a cyclical franchise. Their ups are really high, and their lows are really low.

There are a lot of STHs out there who don't make it to all of the games. They have their seats because they like them, and sell a bunch to help pay for them. However, when STHs start eating their own a** on tickets they sell, they will cancel and do like everyone else....buy tickets for the games that they want to attend on the aftermarket for cut rate prices.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 13, 2013 2:42 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:
There are a lot of STHs out there who don't make it to all of the games. They have their seats because they like them, and sell a bunch to help pay for them. However, when STHs start eating their own a** on tickets they sell, they will cancel and do like everyone else....buy tickets for the games that they want to attend on the aftermarket for cut rate prices.

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

And when that happens and demand goes down, the Pens will adjust accordingly, just like they have in the past.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Good debating with you. Agree to disagree on a lot of aspects of this. You make some good points but I still think they screwed up. Have a good one.

Yeah, we are not going to agree.

You also make some good points, but I think you take them to an extreme IMO. There is some room for improvement by the franchise.

But to me, their value has increased signifantly over the last few years, and that is not a sign of a franchise that is in financial trouble. None of us will ever know the true numbers though so we will never "prove" anything.

I believe that once the prices truly are too high, they will flatten out or decrease based on the demand. I think the people that run the Pens are smart individuals and have done a great job with the franchise and turning it around. They won't run it into the ground.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby knives of ice on Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm

whenever you have to sell lower level tickets at a loss below sth face for tomorrow...then tickets are obviously priced too high.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon May 13, 2013 6:46 pm

WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ossa on Mon May 13, 2013 6:53 pm

There are so many tickets available, student rush isn't even going to be able to save the sellout streak tomorrow. This is ridiculous.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Ossa wrote:There are so many tickets available, student rush isn't even going to be able to save the sellout streak tomorrow. This is ridiculous.

do they just claim on the website that only 200 are available even if many more are?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 13, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't know if I'm more confused on why the sellout streak matters or how this thread got to 12 pages.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ossa on Mon May 13, 2013 7:02 pm

knives of ice wrote:
Ossa wrote:There are so many tickets available, student rush isn't even going to be able to save the sellout streak tomorrow. This is ridiculous.

do they just claim on the website that only 200 are available even if many more are?

The 200 number is a minimum. The number is going to be way higher than that. There are seats available all over the place.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Beveridge wrote:I don't know if I'm more confused on why the sellout streak matters or how this thread got to 12 pages.

I couldn't care less about the sellout streak. Not selling out a 2nd round playoff game in a hockey hot bed is not good.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon May 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Ossa wrote:
Beveridge wrote:I don't know if I'm more confused on why the sellout streak matters or how this thread got to 12 pages.

I couldn't care less about the sellout streak. Not selling out a 2nd round playoff game in a hockey hot bed is not good.

I would say that comes full circle to ticket prices. Although, it will be hard to gauge unless we make it to ECF and SCF and still having the same issue for first home game.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins