'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 15, 2013 10:54 am

Looks like whichever line Kunitz is playing on is the one that's getting it done, at least a little, 5 on 5.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed May 15, 2013 10:56 am

i should elaborate. When i say that i don't think Anderson is very good, what i really mean is that he is not nearly as good as his stats reflect, IMO. I guess he's ok, but by no means an impenetrable wall
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 am

I don't think he's very good either.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

Froggy wrote:i should elaborate. When i say that i don't think Anderson is very good, what i really mean is that he is not nearly as good as his stats reflect, IMO. I guess he's ok, but by no means an impenetrable wall

He's no better or worse than Vokoun.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 am

pfim wrote:
Froggy wrote:i should elaborate. When i say that i don't think Anderson is very good, what i really mean is that he is not nearly as good as his stats reflect, IMO. I guess he's ok, but by no means an impenetrable wall

He's no better or worse than Vokoun.

yeah, i don't see anderson as a huge positional advantage for them.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed May 15, 2013 11:05 am

Vokoun isn't coming out of the net if he keeps playing like he is. 1.28 GAA & a .962 save percentage. Sure his goal was a "Fleury-like" softie, but he did not have a "Fleury-like" meltdown after that goal. He just kept on with the program...calm, cool, & collect. Milbury said between rounds that Vokoun wasn't a "Stanley Cup" goalie. How does he know? Since his previous teams were Nashville, Florida, and last year's Caps it seems to me that he's never had any true quality Stanley Cup contendor teams at his disposal.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed May 15, 2013 11:08 am

Gaucho wrote:Looks like whichever line Kunitz is playing on is the one that's getting it done, at least a little, 5 on 5.

Chris Kunitz was using his body as a weapon last night. Big goal in the 2nd.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 am

LImited samples in both the reg. season and playoffs. He played 1/2 of the Habs in the playoffs and played well against teams early in the regular season, but looks very human against teams that control the puck. He'll steal a game or two in this series, but he will have to since OTT doesn't demonstrate a whole lot of scoring touch. Vokoun looked shakey at times and they really could have netted 2-3 more than they did.

That said, I am coming off my position that Fleury needs to play. Guys are playing hard for TV, and that's a big part of winning.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 15, 2013 11:17 am

Well yeah there are not many goalies in the league that are impenetrable walls. Really the league has become about having goalies that don't make mistakes rather than steal games.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed May 15, 2013 11:19 am

Kunitz & Dupree. Two deadline deals that probably didn't look like much when they occured, but hindsight is 20-20. Two hardworking SOGs who "get it." It's a good thing that GMRS has foresight, as opposed to the rest of us, who have the benefit of that hindsight. :thumb:

BTW, "sick" goal by Dupius. He had about a 4" square space to fit the puck in, but still snuck it in. :roll:

BEPF
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:22 am

I'm not a fan of Adams either, but as long as the PK is putting up great numbers, Bylsma would be foolish to mess with it. Adams is the de facto captain of the PK unit, and he does block a lot of shots. On offense, he's a complete zero, but the Pens have plenty of firepower to make up for that. Having too many guys in the lineup like Adams, however, makes it difficult to come back from a deficit in games because the coach has to run his top 6 out there the entire time.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:BTW, "sick" goal by Dupius. He had about a 4" square space to fit the puck in, but still snuck it in. :roll:

That was no sneak...that was a MF'ing LASER BEAM THROUGH THE HEAD!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 15, 2013 11:24 am

Yeah I would consider putting in Jokinen for Sutter if there needs to be a change at some point. Sutter has been very invisible. However htat only assumes that we somehow need offense, which so far these playoffs we don't.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:25 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:

Well yeah there are not many goalies in the league that are impenetrable walls. Really the league has become about having goalies that don't make mistakes rather than steal games.

Right. And that's why I like Vokoun over Fleury.

Goalies that play in a defensive system always have great stats. Barrasso had a 2.07 GAA for a full season under Constantine, but he was around 3.50 during the years they won the 2 Cups, when he was playing his best hockey. Is Anderson good? of course he is. He's not a superstar, nor is he better than Vokoun IMO. He's good enough to steal a game in this series....but so is Vokoun.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed May 15, 2013 11:27 am

I thought Anderson was great last night, and we still got 4 behind him. None of them were bad goals. Vokoun let in a softy, and didn't have to make any great saves. Vokoun's been solid, but he's closer to Nabakov then he is to Anderson.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 11:34 am

pcm wrote:I thought Anderson was great last night, and we still got 4 behind him. None of them were bad goals. Vokoun let in a softy, and didn't have to make any great saves. Vokoun's been solid, but he's closer to Nabakov then he is to Anderson.

Yeah...pens worked really hard for their goals. That's what you want, because it completely negates worrying about who's in the cage for the other team.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 am

RxBandit66 wrote:I'm not a fan of Adams either, but as long as the PK is putting up great numbers, Bylsma would be foolish to mess with it. Adams is the de facto captain of the PK unit, and he does block a lot of shots. On offense, he's a complete zero, but the Pens have plenty of firepower to make up for that. Having too many guys in the lineup like Adams, however, makes it difficult to come back from a deficit in games because the coach has to run his top 6 out there the entire time.

the pk against the islanders wasn't good - despite the 90% rate. you up the sample size and we would be back down below 80%. but it certainly looked good last night.

my issue with the unit is closing speed. adams is slow. sutter is beyond slow. cooke isn't much of a burner. and then there's murray. guys are getting all day to make decisions because we can't pressure anyone. we aren't lacking in grit, but we're light on raw talent. hopefully the former is enough to balance the latter.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 am

pcm wrote:I thought Anderson was great last night, and we still got 4 behind him. None of them were bad goals. Vokoun let in a softy, and didn't have to make any great saves. Vokoun's been solid, but he's closer to Nabakov then he is to Anderson.

Dude has a .962 save %
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 am

Bioshock wrote:

Dude has a .962 save %

Relax. It's just the masses preparing their scapegoat for the next loss. :slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 am

He let in 1 goal. Did you see him let in another? Nope. If he was like Nabakov he would have let in about 6 goals from the opportunities that the Sens had.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 am

The Senators are now 2-9 in their last 11 playoff games vs. the Pens. The Senators are 2-9 lifetime when they lose the first game of a series and haven't won a series they've trailed 1-0 since 2003 when they beat the New York Islanders.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/05/14/pen ... pening-win
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 15, 2013 11:45 am

You can't argue Anderson's numbers, and I don't think I've seen much of him outside of games against the pens...but he's never struck me as some impenetrable force or even an elite goalie. It's not like lundqvist or brodeur when he's on, he just looks competent.

I'm definitely not afraid of him stealing this series.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:50 am

Troy Loney wrote:You can't argue Anderson's numbers, and I don't think I've seen much of him outside of games against the pens...but he's never struck me as some impenetrable force or even an elite goalie. It's not like lundqvist or brodeur when he's on, he just looks competent.

I'm definitely not afraid of him stealing this series.

Anderson is only as good as the team in front of him. It's more a testament to Paul MacLean that Anderson put up the numbers he did this year than anything Anderson did in goal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 11:51 am

I think things will go right, all teh bounces, defense in perfect position all game one time this series, and the Sens will managed to win that one. Thats the only reason I didn't predict a sweep. Pens are a better team, aside from the power play they didn't play like it, and they won 4-1. If the Pens attend this series(no guarantee) they'll win it easily.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby firepower on Wed May 15, 2013 11:57 am

Pens came out like a ball of fire.
Ottawa adjusted.
Pens adjusted back.

Good overall game.
firepower
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'