Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Rylan wrote:Halak is the only one of the 3 that would be interesting to entertain since he is the same age as Fleury I think. (Give or take a year?)

If you're running Fleury out of town because he's a head case, I don't know what you're expecting with Halak.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:16 pm

I am playing the hypothetical game. And Halak has been remarkably consistent the past 3-4 years. The only reason he wasn't the starting goalie for the Blues in the playoffs is he got hurt and Elliot played well enough to keep the job. But Halak is pretty sturdy as far as goalies go.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
Rylan wrote:Halak is the only one of the 3 that would be interesting to entertain since he is the same age as Fleury I think. (Give or take a year?)

If you're running Fleury out of town because he's a head case, I don't know what you're expecting with Halak.

Smith and Emery aren't the most stable either. Pretty sure Smith is one more freak out away from suspension.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Wed May 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Rylan wrote:I am playing the hypothetical game. And Halak has been remarkably consistent the past 3-4 years. The only reason he wasn't the starting goalie for the Blues in the playoffs is he got hurt and Elliot played well enough to keep the job. But Halak is pretty sturdy as far as goalies go.

Yea but he couldn't play nice in Montreal and now he's not playing nice off the ice in St. Louis.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Rylan wrote:I am playing the hypothetical game. And Halak has been remarkably consistent the past 3-4 years. The only reason he wasn't the starting goalie for the Blues in the playoffs is he got hurt and Elliot played well enough to keep the job. But Halak is pretty sturdy as far as goalies go.

Halak is sturdy because of the teams in front of him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

Yea but he couldn't play nice in Montreal and now he's not playing nice off the ice in St. Louis.

Both situations he was clearly the better goalie longer and got shafted. He shouldn't play nice. He will go somewhere and be the starter because he is a cocky bro and will do well. His attitude is actually something I kind of desire in a goalie.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

Halak is sturdy because of the teams in front of him.

I'm hesitant when it comes to any goalie coming out of a goalie-friendly systems like Phoenix (see: Bryzgalov, Ilya) or St Louis.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

When you say play nice, do you mean wasn't Carey Price, World Junior Gold Canada team savior and Calder Cup MVP?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm

Rylan wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

Both situations he was clearly the better goalie longer and got shafted. He shouldn't play nice. He will go somewhere and be the starter because he is a cocky bro and will do well. His attitude is actually something I kind of desire in a goalie.

:thumb:

I wish we saw more attitude out of Fleury. He's competitive, but he takes on too much responsibility. If you look at the way he trash talks during shootout practice, that's a goalie brimming with confidence - and it shows when he finds himself in 1-on-0 situations.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:25 pm

When Fleury is playing well, I would be hesitant to say there are many goalies more confident or arrogant than Fleury. But when Fleury is bad, well...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 15, 2013 4:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Miller, Hiller, and Halak would probably command more than Fleury in an open market.

Halak? He had a pretty tough year...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Miller, Hiller, and Halak would probably command more than Fleury in an open market.

Halak? He had a pretty tough year...

Halak gets hurt a lot now.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed May 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Rylan wrote:When Fleury is playing well, I would be hesitant to say there are many goalies more confident or arrogant than Fleury. But when Fleury is bad, well...

That's the issue, a great goalie thinks he's going to stop every puck, even if he's let in 3 in the first 5 minutes. When Fleury gets on a roll and then let's in a softy, he doesn't say, "**** it, stuff happens". Instead, he emotionally crumbles. Goaltending is the most mentally taxing position in sports and Fleury can't handle the pressure anymore, at least not in Pittsburgh.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 15, 2013 5:35 pm

2 things
1) Both Fleury and Vokoun could have had shut outs last night. As it was Vokoun let the softie in, but other than that - the only time he got in any trouble were on bad rebounds, and the penguins defense did their job.
2) Vokoun might not have any trouble with this Ottawa team because the team in front of him is playing much better.... but I think as the competition level increases - and the penguins go up against it a bit - Vokoun is going to get a bit exposed athletically if the other team beats our guys in front of the net.

As evident by the Vokoun goal last night - when you let the other team run the offense from behind the net, and they get clear lanes to dump that puck to the front - bad things happen. Vokoun is just as apt to let that puck in as Fleury - the problem in NY was that the penguins were simply constantly beat to pucks in those areas. A bounce this way or that way - the Vokoun = Headcase meme starts (unwarrented - but thats LGP)

If the penguins play like they did last night for 4 games - or like game 1 in the NY series - some idiot is most likely posting a "Fleury = Conn Smyth?" thread.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
Rylan wrote:When Fleury is playing well, I would be hesitant to say there are many goalies more confident or arrogant than Fleury. But when Fleury is bad, well...

That's the issue, a great goalie thinks he's going to stop every puck, even if he's let in 3 in the first 5 minutes. When Fleury gets on a roll and then let's in a softy, he doesn't say, "**** it, stuff happens". Instead, he emotionally crumbles. Goaltending is the most mentally taxing position in sports and Fleury can't handle the pressure anymore, at least not in Pittsburgh.

Seriously, where does this stuff come from? Even after a few bad bounces, Fleury made a ton of good saves on good quality scoring chances in those NY islander games. This headcase crap is spinning out of control.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed May 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Defending Fleury at this point is like defending Mark Wahlberg's performance in "The Happening".
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:

Seriously, where does this stuff come from? Even after a few bad bounces, Fleury made a ton of good saves on good quality scoring chances in those NY islander games. This headcase crap is spinning out of control.

Where does it come from? Usually from below the goal line. He's the worst playoff goalie in the NHL by far since the 09 season, it's done, he's done.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:Defending Fleury at this point is like defending Mark Wahlberg's performance in "The Happening".

I expect to see Fleury in goal before the playoffs are over and I expect him to be the starter next season. but admittedly its kind of nice to see people (Benz, Madden, many on this board) who would go balistic anytime someone dare have a critisism of Fleury have absolutely nothing anymore.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed May 15, 2013 5:49 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:Defending Fleury at this point is like defending Mark Wahlberg's performance in "The Happening".

I expect to see Fleury in goal before the playoffs are over and I expect him to be the starter next season. but admittedly its kind of nice to see people (Benz, Madden, many on this board) who would go balistic anytime someone dare have a critisism of Fleury have absolutely nothing anymore.

Only place I expect to see Fleury is working the counter at Sheetz.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

Not pertaining to running a goalie out of town but rather the mental stability of goalies: I'm inclined to believe that, to varying degrees, ALL goalies are head cases. Don't you have to be a bit nuts to have approx. 35 frozen vulcanized rubber discs shot at you at about 95 mph? :lol:
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Well to want to have a rubber disc capable of maiming shot towards me in the name of sport, you have to have a screw or 5 loose.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Getting To My Game on Wed May 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Rylan wrote:Well to want to have a rubber disc capable of maiming shot towards me in the name of sport, you have to have a screw or 5 loose.

All goalies are crazy, I know from personal experience, just gotta be the right kind of crazy.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 pm

Rylan wrote:Well to want to have a rubber disc capable of maiming shot towards me in the name of sport, you have to have a screw or 5 loose.

Speaking of maiming (please forgive me for that :oops: but my intention is good)...

How are you doing these days? :)
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 15, 2013 5:59 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:

Describing what happened as "a few bad bounces" in light of history: nope.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:

Speaking of maiming (please forgive me for that :oops: but my intention is good)...

How are you doing these days? :)

haha good thank you :fist:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins