'13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 1 vs OTT - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby skullman80 on Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 pm

The big thing with Vokoun after he let in that softy was he didn't let up another one within a few minutes of that one to deflate himself or the team. Fleury in his current state of mind probably would of.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Pens4Life87 wrote:
Nizzy wrote:Its time to sit Morrow & Adams and play Jokinen & Bennett. Can you image how much more dangerous this team would be with adding the OFFENSIVE SKILLS to the bottom 6 by replacing these 2? No just offensive skills but SPEED as well.

Morrow, 7 games, 0 goals, 2 assists, -3 rating, 4 total shots.
I thought this guy was a great fit for the squad when we got him. He was great in the regular season for the Penguins but its clear he doesn't have much left. I'm kind of happy that he is playing this way because it's an obvious no resign to be. This means Iginla will probably be easier to keep, plus no way Morrow can make it 82 games. Just a complete lack of speed right now. I don't think he fits with the "system". I would sit him until we need him. His legs could use the rest.

Adams, Didn't even look at his stats. He doesn't make mistakes but he also doesn't do anything else out there. He can PK... so can Vitale, Dupuis, Cooke, Jokinen. We will be fine if Adams sits. There's enough veterans on the team now.

Add Jokinen and Bennett to the bottom 6.

edit:

I want to see Jokinen for Adams first actually.

Why would you tinker with a PK that shut down the opposistion?

The PK is good despite Adams at this point.He lost 3 of 4 FO on the PK last night. They've resorted to putting Sid --the guy with the face shield on -- to take FO on the PK. Jussi resolves that right away.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 pm

skullman80 wrote:The big thing with Vokoun after he let in that softy was he didn't let up another one within a few minutes of that one to deflate himself or the team. Fleury in his current state of mind probably would of.

Guys tightened up around him. Thats the driver right now... DMen don't want to burn another goalie.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Changes are hard to make especially when winning 3 playoff games in a row.

In saying that, one slight change I would make is Jussi in for Adams or Sutter and when we go on the road, Despres in for Engo.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Dr Rosenrosen wrote:I thought one of the Pens' greatest assets last night was going into Zen mode when Neil (and others) tried to turn things into the '12 Flyers series.

There's definitely something to this. I got a good laugh last night reading HF and seeing Flyers fans saying stuff like, "I don't understand! We've given every team in the league the blueprint to beat this Pens team!!! WHY isn't it working?! It's supposed to work!!!" Maybe because, while the Pens still have their moments, they're not that Pens team anymore.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Someone should explain to Flyers fans that crap goalie play and scrumming after whistles is self-inflicted and not a blue print.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Beveridge wrote:Someone should explain to Flyers fans that crap goalie play and scrumming after whistles is self-inflicted and not a blue print.

That, too, Bev!
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed May 15, 2013 1:58 pm

It did seem like we got dominated on the face-offs last night. It ended up 31-26 for Ottawa so not as bad as I thought as if the Pens win 3 more it's even.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
skullman80 wrote:The big thing with Vokoun after he let in that softy was he didn't let up another one within a few minutes of that one to deflate himself or the team. Fleury in his current state of mind probably would of.

Guys tightened up around him. Thats the driver right now... DMen don't want to burn another goalie.

To paraphrase what Kunitz said on CBC after last night's game, "we're fully confident in both goalies. We left Fleury out a dry a little bit, and we don't want to do the same thing to Vokoun".
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 15, 2013 2:05 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

To paraphrase what Kunitz said on CBC after last night's game, "we're fully confident in both goalies. We left Fleury out a dry a little bit, and we don't want to do the same thing to Vokoun".

To be fair, Fleury left the team out to dry on several goals in the first 4 games. Something Vokoun hasn't done (sans the lone goal last night but when it only happens once in a game and it's the only goal you let in, I can overlook)
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Wed May 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Beveridge wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

To be fair, Fleury left the team out to dry on several goals in the first 4 games. Something Vokoun hasn't done (sans the lone goal last night but when it only happens once in a game and it's the only goal you let in, I can overlook)

I believe what Kunitz was getting at is that they didn't do anything to make Fleury's job any easier, bad goals or not. Kind of a "he struggled but we didn't help him out either" statement.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Yeah, I agree with that. I was just adding to the flip side.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Matt Cooke could have blown up Michalek in the third period in an almost exact replica of the Savard play but he let up.. Still.. one of those situations where, as a hockey player, Michaleks life flashes before his eyes and he hopefully fears cutting into the middle further down the series. He clearly turns to look and see who it was that bumped him and I know he got an unmistakable 24 to greet him.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Beveridge wrote:Yeah, I agree with that. I was just adding to the flip side.

Honestly, there is no point to though. If switching goalies makes the Pens more defensively responsible and they recognize that they were leaving a goalie out to dry then point made. No need for a flip side.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Wed May 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
Dr Rosenrosen wrote:I thought one of the Pens' greatest assets last night was going into Zen mode when Neil (and others) tried to turn things into the '12 Flyers series.

There's definitely something to this. I got a good laugh last night reading HF and seeing Flyers fans saying stuff like, "I don't understand! We've given every team in the league the blueprint to beat this Pens team!!! WHY isn't it working?! It's supposed to work!!!" Maybe because, while the Pens still have their moments, they're not that Pens team anymore.

This year's Penguin team would have beaten the 2012 Flyers in four or five games. Last year they didn't have Vokoun to turn to, plus a number of cool-headed veterans to steer the ship. Guys like Doug Murray and Brenden Morrow are a vast improvement from the Steve Sullivans of the world.

Not to mention when your power play is clicking at almost 40% in the playoffs, it kinda sucks putting your team shorthanded if you are Ottawa. Neil can start all the scrums he wants. If he ends up in the box, the puck will end up in his net and his team mates will be golfing by next weekend. It's that simple.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:00 pm

What separates the Pens of this post-season and last post-season is the PK. Last post-season they went from top 3 to crap. This year they went from crap to tops. Special teams is HUGE in the postseason and that is where you see a significant improvement.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The U on Wed May 15, 2013 3:04 pm

So what is the consensus on Sutter? He's invisible this postseason because he is strictly focusing on defense and he is shutting down the opposition's top players? If that is the case, I'm OK with him being silent.

I haven't noticed him making any mistakes. Only time I notice him is when he receives a pass or something and I say "where has he been all game?" then he dumps the puck in and goes for a line change.

I'm not taking a shot at him I'm just wondering if his play right now is like a Lineman in the NFL in that we should be happy we are not hearing his name....it means he's doing his job shutting ppl down. Or is he just a non-factor at both ends of the ice right now?

He had a nice regular season so I'm not anti-Sutter. If the 3rd and 4th lines are cycling, banging bodies, and possessing the puck I'm not sure what more we could ask from them in this series. They don't need to score much.
Last edited by The U on Wed May 15, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The U on Wed May 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Adams vs Jokinen. Last year when the PK was getting abused and embarrassed by the Flyers, Craig Adams served no purpose. The PK can stink with Adams on the ice or Vitale on the ice, makes no difference.

This postseason, the PK is playing great so you can't mess with it. If Vitale was on the PK there would be no reason to ever dress Adams, I think we can agree on that. For whatever reason Vitale doesnt PK right now. When that day comes, Adams is unemployed.

Having said that, he doesn't hurt the team. Why dress Beau Bennett or Jussi or Glass over Adams at this stage? We don't need a fighter or more goal scoring or speed. In this particular series the lineup we saw in Game 1 is capable of winning and dominating possession most of the night. There will be a time when BB/Jussi will be needed because of their offense or faceoff ability, etc...but this series doesn't appear to be the time. That 4th line will be given the task of banging bodies, playing some defense, not getting scored on, and eating up minutes in garbage time. Adams is good in that role. (this coming from somebody who is not an Adams supporter 9 times out of 10)
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Wed May 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Adams is playing his part well. Same with Sutter. There is not much that Jussi Jokinen would provide the Pens that Sutter doesn't already do. And I think Sutter is better defensively than Jussi. The 3rd line has generated chances and has not been burned for goals against. No point in really getting in getting Jokinen in unless there has been an injury.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 15, 2013 3:26 pm

I just wish Morrow could get going.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:27 pm

Another thought I just remembered -

Cory Conacher was kind of a little ***** last night.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Geezer on Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 pm

shmenguin wrote:-didn't trust vokoun early in the game, but he got the job done.
-geno looked like he was skating better. maybe he's on the mend.
-in theory, our stars will get healthier and our team will develop more chemistry as time goes on. it's possible that we could see some real progression
-the 4th line is so good - even with an anchor at center
-the 3rd line is not so good - ESPECIALLY with an anchor at center

If by anchor you mean slow I disagree. Vitale centered the 4th line and he looks like one of their fastest skaters
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:Another thought I just remembered -

Cory Conacher was kind of a little ***** last night.

He's Martin St. Louis for me.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby blackjack68 on Wed May 15, 2013 3:33 pm

firepower wrote:Pens came out like a ball of fire.
Ottawa adjusted.
Pens adjusted back.

Good overall game.

Worst playoff haiku ever. :slug:
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Cory Conacher is this series Brian Strait.

When Ottawa took their first penalty, I was looking for Strait in the box.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins