Terrie the smoker

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Terrie the smoker

Postby CERV96 on Thu May 16, 2013 8:30 am

I have decided to put this here instead on NHR due to the fact that I know most of the people who frequent this section know what I am talking about. Is anyone else out there tired of these adds? I honestly don't think it is going to stop someone from having another cigarette. If anything she is so disgusting it may want me to start smoking.

Spoiler:
Image
Last edited by CERV96 on Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,632
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Beveridge on Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 am

I can't speak for people who do smoke, but as someone who has never even tried it, this commercial was enough to make me never want too.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,413
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 am

NHR. :pop:

It wouldn't dissuade any of the smokers I know from smoking. I could see it preventing someone from starting though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,240
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby shmenguin on Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 am

every smoker already knows about lung cancer and the death that typically results from it. if you're already aware of the worst fate possible, i don't see how showing a series of lesser fates would be particularly meaningful.

so basically, i wish these commercials would go away.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,523
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby brwi on Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 am

Those commercials are horrid and I really doubt they are going to stop anyone who really wants to smoke from doing it. They remind me of a lot of driver education films from the 70's and 80's of mangled bodies and cars from teens having car wrecks. I just don't think much of either as a deterrent.
Last edited by brwi on Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 am

brwi wrote:Those commercials are horrid and I really doubt they are going to stop anyone who really wants to smoke from doing it. They remind me of a lot of driver education films from the 70's and 80's of mangled bodies and carfrom teens having car wrecks. I just don't think much of either as a deterrent.

"Hey wha..."

This is the text Billy Smith was sending when he wrecked his car...
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,457
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby CERV96 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 am

I saw someone post the following on twitter: I would pay for a 24 hour live camera feed of Terrie the smoker in hopes of seeing her try to eat a bowl of soup.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,632
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 am

You know Nascar fans have a sterotype, maybe advertisers think the average hockey fans all have ear wax build up, disgusting dirty dry feet, and skin tags to go along with the hole in their neck
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,565
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm
Location: Squares don't fit in my circle.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu May 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Meh. If the ad prevents one person from starting to smoke, it's worth it to have a bunch of people midly irritated for a couple times a night. The ad annoys me too, but the smell of smoke and the increased healthcare costs because of all the morons who smoke annoys me more. I can easily ignore it by briefly changing the channel or looking away.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,038
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 pm

I think i'm going to start smoking one cigarette per time that I see the commercial.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,240
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby pcm on Thu May 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Teenagers start smoking because they're rebelling against the establishment. The more you demonize something, the more attractive you make it to that market segment.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,123
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby jwest21 on Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 pm

My 8 year old walked in when this commercial was on and she was appropriately horrified. Maybe she won't remember it when peer pressure sets in....but maybe she does.

Can I just say that me being the serious one feels wrong on so many levels.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,090
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu May 16, 2013 12:45 pm

pcm wrote:Teenagers start smoking because they're rebelling against the establishment. The more you demonize something, the more attractive you make it to that market segment.

Anti-smoking campaigns have really started in the last 20 years or so. Data from that range shows that smoking among teens is down significantly compared to before that period. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6131a1.htm

From the article
The findings in this report indicate that from 2000 to 2011, significant declines occurred in the use of current tobacco, combustible tobacco, and cigarettes among middle and high school students, suggesting that tobacco control policies and programs have an impact on tobacco use among U.S. youths (2). The rate of decline in youth cigarette smoking was slower during this period compared with 1997–2003, which followed years of increase in the prevalence of youth cigarette use during the 1990s (2).
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,038
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 12:50 pm

jwest21 wrote:My 8 year old walked in when this commercial was on and she was appropriately horrified. Maybe she won't remember it when peer pressure sets in....but maybe she does.

Can I just say that me being the serious one feels wrong on so many levels.


Aren't smokers ostracized enough that that is gone. I was never once pressured to smoke a cigarette growing up.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,240
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby pcm on Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Smoking is down significantly for all ages. I don't think that has much to do with anti-smoking campaigns, but rather the general awareness that comes from seeing all these people around you who thought they were cool dry out, shrivel up, and kak.

The effectiveness of "moral advertising" (don't do drugs, don't smoke, etc) is pretty suspect, especially delivered via TV. I mean, who really believes what the TV (or internet or radio) tells them?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,123
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm

pcm wrote:Teenagers start smoking because they're rebelling against the establishment. The more you demonize something, the more attractive you make it to that market segment.


Yes, your point is a good one, pcm. Teenagers have been fighting authority since the beginning of time.

I also think there's a difference between demonizing something by simply calling it "bad" a million times and fostering a stark realization of what can happen to you through a real-life illustration. Teenagers probably don't think it could ever happen to them, and if they smoke, then they'll quit later when they're tired of it. The Terrie ad where they contrast her looking young and gorgeous with her reality today addresses that. I don't have a problem with the ads, tbh, and I think Terrie is courageous for putting herself out there.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,811
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 16, 2013 1:00 pm

I started smoking because I liked it and I quit because I didn't like it anymore. *shrug*
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,948
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
jwest21 wrote:My 8 year old walked in when this commercial was on and she was appropriately horrified. Maybe she won't remember it when peer pressure sets in....but maybe she does.

Can I just say that me being the serious one feels wrong on so many levels.


Aren't smokers ostracized enough that that is gone. I was never once pressured to smoke a cigarette growing up.


Me neither. When I was a teenager, I lost 4 beloved family members (all smokers) to emphysema, lung cancer, and other smoking-related causes. That was enough for me.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,811
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 1:04 pm

I'd rather see these days than anything to do with erectile dysfunction.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,314
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Gaucho wrote:I started smoking because I liked it and I quit because I didn't like it anymore. *shrug*


I know many people who've had this same experience, and I'm glad for them that it was relatively easy.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,811
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Lt. Dish on Thu May 16, 2013 1:07 pm

columbia wrote:I'd rather see these days than anything to do with erectile dysfunction.


Yes! :thumb:

And who has his-and-hers bathtubs side by side out in the middle of nowhere, with no hot water hookup, anyway?!
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,811
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: We'll make great pets.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Pitt87 on Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Gaucho wrote:I started smoking because I liked it and I quit because I didn't like it anymore. *shrug*


Yeah, me too. I think scare tactics are akin to public shaming, not an attempt to change behaviors. Growing up, most adults I knew smoked so it wasn't some sort of faux pas, but I quit when I met my wife because she preferred that I didn't. Most everyone I know did the same thing.

I knew one person that absolutely died from smoking, but he would have been addicted to something far more harmful had he note smoked a pack or two a day.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,222
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby jwest21 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
jwest21 wrote:My 8 year old walked in when this commercial was on and she was appropriately horrified. Maybe she won't remember it when peer pressure sets in....but maybe she does.

Can I just say that me being the serious one feels wrong on so many levels.


Aren't smokers ostracized enough that that is gone. I was never once pressured to smoke a cigarette growing up.

You'd think that, but I see teens smoking quite often. drive down Main St of Butler and you'll see a few young adults smoking
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,090
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby jwest21 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:
columbia wrote:I'd rather see these days than anything to do with erectile dysfunction.


Yes! :thumb:

And who has his-and-hers bathtubs side by side out in the middle of nowhere, with no hot water hookup, anyway?!

Not to mention who has energy left to do anything after hauling two bathtubs out to the middle of nowhere and then bringing in water and warming it enough to sit in it. If anything, 2 tubs in the middle of nowhere should be birth control.
jwest21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,090
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 pm
Location: on IR

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 2:21 pm

jwest21 wrote:drive down Main St of Butler


No.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 52,240
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Next

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

e-mail