GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby count2infinity on Thu May 16, 2013 7:35 am

MWB wrote:
count2infinity wrote:If I may, I've been able to drink (legally) for just over 5 years and I think I've tasted some of the best that is out there, and feel very lucky that there are so many choices and GOOD choices.

Speaking of which, I've got five Heady's left.
:slug:

i hate you... lol
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby stopper40 on Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 am

Shyster wrote:
stopper40 wrote:I've been told that before prohibition there were ~4,000 breweries in this country. In the early 80's that number was down to about 80 now there's close to 3,000. And that Anchor was where the microbrew revolution started.

A book I can recommend on the topic is Beer Blast by Philip Van Munching (http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Blast-Brewin ... 0812930355). His family for years held the contract to import Heineken into the United States. Written back in 1997, the book covers the history of brewing and beer marketing (remember Spuds MacKenzie?) in the United States from an insider’s perspective. It’s out of print, but Amazon has plenty of used copies for less than a buck plus shipping. In addition to being somewhat educational, the book’s also pretty funny.

Thanks. I'll look into it
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 am

Against Hoppy Beer
The craft beer industry’s love affair with hops is alienating people who don’t like bitter brews.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drin ... ation.html
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu May 16, 2013 10:35 am

columbia wrote:Against Hoppy Beer
The craft beer industry’s love affair with hops is alienating people who don’t like bitter brews.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drin ... ation.html

I LOVE hoppy beer, but appreciate non-hoppy beer as well. Stouts, darks, pilsners, summery light beers. But I do think that I've become so used to hops, that I don't even think about them being there when drinking an IPA. I remember back to my first IPA I ever had, I drank it and likely had a face like many of the new comers to craft brews.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Thu May 16, 2013 10:49 am

I totally agree with that article about hops. I appreciate good hops that are part of a balanced beer, but I don't enjoy those beers that seemingly just try to up their IBUs as much as possible just for the sake of it, or as some weird badge of honor (Stone is the brewer that always springs to mind here). More hops doesn't automatically equal better taste.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Comment from a friend in Portland wrote:Man, this is so on point and a jag I've been harping on since I've been here. I couldn't believe how gratifying it was a few weeks ago when I found some green bottles at a convenience store and I could just open up a refreshing, crisp bottle of Rolling Rock after doing some yard work. What the hell do people around here drink, after a hot afternoon mowing the lawn?

TRIPLE IPA, BRO!
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm

The other thing about craft beers is the alcohol content. Why so high? I want something that has good taste and I can drink a few of them without being plastered.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu May 16, 2013 1:24 pm

I wish there were a few more malty crafts made, but I don't really feel lacking as-is.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 1:28 pm

columbia wrote:
Comment from a friend in Portland wrote:Man, this is so on point and a jag I've been harping on since I've been here. I couldn't believe how gratifying it was a few weeks ago when I found some green bottles at a convenience store and I could just open up a refreshing, crisp bottle of Rolling Rock after doing some yard work. What the hell do people around here drink, after a hot afternoon mowing the lawn?

TRIPLE IPA, BRO!

pilsner beer
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BigMcK on Thu May 16, 2013 2:48 pm

First introduction to microbrew beer was through a Beer of the Month membership. 2 six-packs a month of small brewery beer from around the country. This was in the early 90's. There were a couple that I had repurchased after tasting, with Rhino Chasers being my favorite. http://www.bruguru.com/rhinochasers.htm Pete's Wicked Ale was another as was Bert Grant's Scottish Ale. The membership opened up my world to what good beer should taste like.

For a microbrewery, Bandersnatch (closed) in Tempe, AZ. next to Sun Devil Stadium would be my first recollection as the place that married food, great quality craft beer, excellent people watching opportunities and free internet all together under one roof. Spent many a day / night there.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Sam Adams, Penn Pilsner, Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam were the first ones I tried.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Pete's strawberry blonde was mine hah.

But around my senior year in college we would just buy different brewery variety packs to try as many different beers as possible. That's when i became familiar with places like Troegs, Lancaster, Bells, Harpoon and the bigger craft brewers.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 pm

count2infinity wrote:The other thing about craft beers is the alcohol content. Why so high? I want something that has good taste and I can drink a few of them without being plastered.

I heartily concur with this. I’d very much like to see the “imperial” craze throw a 180 and turn in the direction of breweries making delicious, flavorful session beers in the range of, say, 4% to no more than 6% ABV. One of the reasons that I’m as fond of Anchor Brewing as I am is that they generally (with the notable exception of Foghorn) keep their beers in a reasonable range of alcohol content. For example, Steam is 4.9%, Liberty is 5.9%, and Summer is 4.5%. They even offer Small Beer (which I must admit I’ve never seen or had) at 3.3%.

On that note, if anyone has seen Anchor Small Beer for sale in Western Pennsylvania, please let me know.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Thu May 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Troy Loney wrote:Pete's strawberry blonde was mine hah.

But around my senior year in college we would just buy different brewery variety packs to try as many different beers as possible. That's when i became familiar with places like Troegs, Lancaster, Bells, Harpoon and the bigger craft brewers.

Ahh, good ol' Pete's. Pete's Wicked Brew was decent.

I started with a lot of Long Trail, Catamount (out of commission), and Otter Creek. Magic Hat was just getting started. Also had different types of Harpoon.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Thu May 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Retried Victory Hop Devil tonight. This beer is actually pretty well balanced.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Thu May 16, 2013 10:52 pm

I love hop devil
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 17, 2013 7:50 am

Kraftster wrote:Retried Victory Hop Devil tonight. This beer is actually pretty well balanced.

Did you drink it out of the schniglajiojsd glass?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 17, 2013 7:57 am

Yep, I have another one and will use a standard pint glass to see if the glass helped.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 17, 2013 8:01 am

It definitely tempers the hop bite.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Retried Victory Hop Devil tonight. This beer is actually pretty well balanced.

What is this jibberish glass? Ulf drinks out of the bottle at the bar. Glasses really make a big difference? I'm trying to up my beer snob game.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby the wicked child on Fri May 17, 2013 8:12 am

Glasses can definitely make a difference in how you experience a beer.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 am

weather looks good for Southern Tier Public Day tomorrow. I'm going to try and down every type of beer on the lot (mustn't get hung up on the sweet sweet oatmeal stout). I'll grab some pictures
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 17, 2013 8:34 am

ulf wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:

What is this jibberish glass? Ulf drinks out of the bottle at the bar. Glasses really make a big difference? I'm trying to up my beer snob game.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/spiegelau ... -(set-of-2).asp?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=ppc&AFID=ZFRG&SRCCODE=PGGL10&device=c&gclid=CPOL5aCTnbcCFRCe4AodzjsAWA
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 17, 2013 8:52 am

I am not a glass snob at all, but even pouring a beer into a basic pint glass is far, far superior to drinking from a bottle. Let the flavors be free!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Fri May 17, 2013 9:33 am

Who knew. I've been trying all kinds of different beers lately and drinking from the bottle. That glass looks cool, if nothing else. Bringing a glass to our next bonfire just so my friends can hate me even more. Can't wait.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR