Sexual Harassment has been redefined on campuses

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sexual Harassment has been redefined on campuses

Postby count2infinity on Thu May 16, 2013 3:53 pm

http://www.cotwa.info/2013/05/most-shoc ... exual.html

Some of you may recall a run in with a fellow grad student that I posted about in JTOR a while back.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40544&start=49450#p2237014

I know I shouldn't be worried about this because I've done nothing wrong, but still, this is a scary thing to think about.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Sexual Harassment has been redefined on campuses

Postby Rylan on Thu May 16, 2013 4:02 pm

There is no way this could possibly go wrong...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu May 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm starting to think that gay people have it far better. They don't have to deal with women.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meow on Thu May 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Thanks a lot, Obama.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Thu May 16, 2013 4:35 pm

There is a disturbing trend in the media lately that is painting ALL men as basically rape time bombs. It's absurd.

This is maybe the most ridiculous set of standards I've ever seen.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Well, I'm sure I'm going to be in jail.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu May 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Gone are the days when we had organizations to stand up to these women's right groups

Spoiler:
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm

DudeMan2766 wrote:Gone are the days when we had organizations to stand up to these women's right groups

Spoiler:

Yeah this is definitely a throw back to those 90s PC movements. We need Al Bundy to come back and lead the counter strike.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm

I wish i was smart enough to explain why this is just so mind numbingly stupid and outright offensive without it turning into a major s--- storm
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Thu May 16, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm really torn on this issue. On the one hand, sexual harassment and assault is still a big problem on college campuses, and more needs to be done to try to curb that (I don't know what exactly). So, I can see the impetus to push through new, stricter legislation.

On the other hand, the definitions used here are so broad and open to interpretation that it could easily lead to people getting accused wrongly and having this impact their lives and careers in serious ways. I know a couple years ago, a male colleague of mine got in trouble because a female student accused him of staring at her cleavage during lectures and reported that it made her extremely uncomfortable. He ended up not getting in serious trouble, but had to go to multiple meetings with the student and various deans to get the matter sorted out and had to issue a formal apology to her. This was a smaller class with maybe 20 students, but still how in the world could you be sure that the professor was staring at YOUR cleavage during lecture?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 16, 2013 5:03 pm

this is probably one of those discussions that really doesnt belong on a message board that is mostly populated by men.

theres certainly two sides to this subject and frankly there is a long ways to go before men starting treating women, particularly younger women, properly.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu May 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Eh. I don't want to be labled a sex offender for asking a girl out, or something like that. I don't think it has anything to do with identifying with the other gender
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 5:15 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:this is probably one of those discussions that really doesnt belong on a message board that is mostly populated by men.

theres certainly two sides to this subject and frankly there is a long ways to go before men starting treating women, particularly younger women, properly.

the topics of gender abuse, sexual harassment, etc etc are most certainly pertinent on a male-centric message board. These issues should be men's issues, but people love to push them on women--the victims in a lot of these situations, and thats not acceptable.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 5:26 pm

I'd be thrown out on day 1.

•Any expression related to sexual topics that offends any person. This leaves a wide range of expressive activity—a campus performance of "The Vagina Monologues," a presentation on safe sex practices, a debate about sexual morality, a discussion of gay marriage, or a classroom lecture on Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita—subject to discipline.

•Any sexually themed joke overheard by any person who finds that joke offensive for any reason.

•Any request for dates or any flirtation that is not welcomed by the recipient of such a request or flirtation.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 5:27 pm

You can't even ask a girl out on a date!?!?!!!!?!?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi. You're hot. Wanna go on a date?

lol, off to the principal's office
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 16, 2013 5:34 pm

canaan wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:this is probably one of those discussions that really doesnt belong on a message board that is mostly populated by men.

the topics of gender abuse, sexual harassment, etc etc are most certainly pertinent on a male-centric message board. These issues should be men's issues, but people love to push them on women--the victims in a lot of these situations, and thats not acceptable.

agreed, it was probably the wrong choice of words. what kenny the kangaroo was trying to convey was something similar to the "naggers" episode of south park. a bunch of hockey loving suburbia bros dont exactly have the best insights on sexual harassment and probably dont "get it."

that being said, kenny the kangaroo would imagine that most, if not all, guys at some point legitimately do or say something that could definitely be considered sexual harassment whether they want to admit to it or not. and by sexual harassment, legit, demeaning sexual harassment, not this loosey goosey definition from this website.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Thu May 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Noted. Thanks for clarifying, broseph (is that sexual harassment?)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Wow. This leaves a lot of question marks.

So asking a girl out and getting rejected = sexual harassment now?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu May 16, 2013 6:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Wow. This leaves a lot of question marks.

So asking a girl out and getting rejected = sexual harassment now?

Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 pm

This attempted policy change is absolutely appalling, and it patently violates years of precedent on the First Amendment, including precedent straight from the Supreme Court. What makes this even worse is that on many college campuses, persons accused of “harassment” or other similar behaviors are often subject to minimal due process. For example, it’s not uncommon for an accused to be immediately suspended and kicked off campus based only on an accusation; neither is it uncommon for the accused to be denied the right to be represented by legal counsel. Hearings often take place in front of administrators who have strong biases (like the schools “Diversity Coordinator” or some similar job title), and in many cases the burden of proof for the accuser is so low that the accused is essentially guilty until proven innocent.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) is closely following this story, and there are plenty of articles and videos on this topic at their blog The Torch: http://thefire.org/torch/

Also, if you want to learn more about some the outrageous crap that’s happening on college campuses these days, I highly recommend the book Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate, by FIRE’s president Greg Lukianoff. It covers a bunch of the cases that FIRE has undertaken over the years. I found the book to be both gripping and at points horrifying. This stuff is not a joke. People’s lives and educations are being ruined in the name of political correctness gone overboard.
Last edited by Shyster on Thu May 16, 2013 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 pm

student: "dick trickle died."

dean: "you're expelled."
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Thu May 16, 2013 6:39 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
canaan wrote:

agreed, it was probably the wrong choice of words. what kenny the kangaroo was trying to convey was something similar to the "naggers" episode of south park. a bunch of hockey loving suburbia bros dont exactly have the best insights on sexual harassment and probably dont "get it."

that being said, kenny the kangaroo would imagine that most, if not all, guys at some point legitimately do or say something that could definitely be considered sexual harassment whether they want to admit to it or not. and by sexual harassment, legit, demeaning sexual harassment, not this loosey goosey definition from this website.

I would like to point out that everyone, regardless of gender, has at some point engaged in something that could be considered sexual harassment.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Rylan wrote:
KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
canaan wrote:

I would like to point out that everyone, regardless of gender, has at some point engaged in something that could be considered sexual harassment.

That's pretty subjective tho. LIke saying everyone has at some point engaged in something "that could be considered" physically assaulting someone. Hugging someone or shaking hands "could be considered" assault depending on what kind of nut job your talkin to. Pointing the moves on your gf/wife "could be considered" sexual harrassment, but 99.9% of the time its not.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR