Chicago vs. Detroit - NO HITTING

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Chicago vs. Detroit - NO HITTING

Postby Penspal on Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 am

I watched the 2nd period of game one last night. That is, until I fell asleep, it was sooooo boring. There was no hitting, no intensity and no excitement. What a difference that period was to all the playoff hockey I have seen in the East. (Bos - Tor, Pens - Isles, Ott - Mtl, NYR - Was)

My first reaction was... great, the winner of the West is going to be healthy and rested.

Then I began to think they are not going to be prepared for the war that the winner of the East will bring.

Granted it was one period of game one, but the analysts did say the 1st period was a "feeling out" period, a sleeper of sorts.

Anyone paying attention to the West series and care to comment?
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Chicago vs. Detroit - NO HITTING

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 am

Chicago and Minnesota wasn't a hard hitting affair either. Chicago is a little more of a finesse team and Detroit hasn't really ever been "nasty" in my lifetime...both teams want to possess the puck, neither team is really geared up for war. There are some rabblerousers in their ranks, but this isn't going to be an awesome, no-holds-barred monster truck rally like Los Angeles and St. Louis was.

It did look like some feeling out was going on early, which is normal, but unless something sparks it, both teams will be content to play a more finesse style...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 am

mikey287 wrote: Detroit hasn't really ever been "nasty" in my lifetime...

The Wings and Avalanche had some good battles in the mid 90's. They used to be my favorite series to watch.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Thu May 16, 2013 12:42 pm

ffemtreed wrote:

The Wings and Avalanche had some good battles in the mid 90's. They used to be my favorite series to watch.

Best rivalry of the past 20 years?

Not to derail the thread but, are there any other contenders? Pens-Philly? Pens-Det & Pens-Caps could get a boost in the years to come...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 pm

pcm wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:

Best rivalry of the past 20 years?

Not to derail the thread but, are there any other contenders? Pens-Philly? Pens-Det & Pens-Caps could get a boost in the years to come...

Montreal Boston has to get a mention doesn't it?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 16, 2013 1:56 pm

ffemtreed wrote:

Yeah, I thought about that. But that's the exception to the rule for Detroit in the last, what, 40 years, right? After the Production Line and Terrible Ted and all that, it kind of petered out...Detroit Dead Things, then they embraced the European movement and while they had some grizzle (Shanahan, Maltby, McCarty, etc.) but on the whole, they weren't grimy, at least not to my recollection.

But yeah, Colorado/Detroit was nasty...really fun to watch.

And yeah, Montreal/Boston and then Penguins/Flyers are the two best rivalries in the league, IMO.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu May 16, 2013 2:02 pm

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:05 pm

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu May 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Too many soff Euros
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:14 pm

mikey287 wrote:Image

:fist:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Thu May 16, 2013 3:17 pm

Chicago didn't need to hit Detroit to get the puck, and Detroit couldn't get close enough to Chicago to hit them.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm

mikey287 wrote:Chicago and Minnesota wasn't a hard hitting affair either. Chicago is a little more of a finesse team and Detroit hasn't really ever been "nasty" in my lifetime...both teams want to possess the puck, neither team is really geared up for war. There are some rabblerousers in their ranks, but this isn't going to be an awesome, no-holds-barred monster truck rally like Los Angeles and St. Louis was.

It did look like some feeling out was going on early, which is normal, but unless something sparks it, both teams will be content to play a more finesse style...

Mikey. Pens vs Hawks. How do you see that turning out, if both teams get there. A little analysis.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Chicago and Minnesota wasn't a hard hitting affair either. Chicago is a little more of a finesse team and Detroit hasn't really ever been "nasty" in my lifetime...both teams want to possess the puck, neither team is really geared up for war. There are some rabblerousers in their ranks, but this isn't going to be an awesome, no-holds-barred monster truck rally like Los Angeles and St. Louis was.

Mikey. Pens vs Hawks. How do you see that turning out, if both teams get there. A little analysis.

I discussed it a little bit here if I can be so lazy to link it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60373&p=2385194&#p2385194
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

I discussed it a little bit here if I can be so lazy to link it: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=60373&p=2385194&#p2385194

So you think they're basically a more skilled version of the Islanders? Can we crush them physically?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu May 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

So you think they're basically a more skilled version of the Islanders? Can we crush them physically?

That's taking them lightly I think. The Blackhawks are the class of a better conference. They can adapt to lots of things because of their skill and their skating, but they're quietly tough. We all know Seabrook is rather ornery, but Keith can really fend for himself like Drew Doughty, even Niklas Hjalmarsson despite being razor thin, picks his spots really well and can absorb a lot of physicality without being rattled. Then you have guys like Bickell, Bolland will go through a wall, Sharp and Toews are no pushovers either.

Should we have a physical advantage though? Yes, I would think so. We have guys that can really batten down the hatches, Iginla (if he feels like it), Morrow, our grinders, Kennedy is playing like a wrecking ball (relative to his size, which I guess is more like a superball, but in any event...). Our backline will lose physicality because Engelland absolutely can't play in that series (nor should he play in any playoff series, of course, but whatever...). Like the Islanders though, I would suggest the same thing, get pucks below the icing line and do some damage to the guys that have a little more trouble withstanding it. Don't sit back and try to slow speed down, you'll lose (see: Islanders series). Speed is less effective when it has to go 200 feet.

The toughest thing with Chicago is getting the puck away from them. We'll have to pry it from their cold, dead hands to have a chance. The series will be decided on who gets more quality touches. Like I said, the teams are too skilled for one to survive on the defensive for too long.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks, mikey. You got me a bit scared, though. I admit I haven't watched them probably as much as I should have during regular season.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NPR