Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby canaan on Wed May 15, 2013 12:58 pm

eddysnake wrote:
canaan wrote:Lego undercover keeps sucking me in for long stretches...im starting to entertain going for 100%

did the recent update make load times better or is that on the game? I might have asked before, but I forgot.

the startup/game save load is still pretty long, but the in-game ones are faster, imo.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 15, 2013 1:59 pm

canaan wrote:Lego undercover keeps sucking me in for long stretches...im starting to entertain going for 100%

You're infected with NANovirus. Seek medical attention immediately.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Wii-U currently has nothing to make me want to purchase it. This will change when they get around to releasing the next Zelda and/or Metroid, but I'm whatever towards it right now.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am

slappybrown wrote:

You're infected with NANovirus. Seek medical attention immediately.

No way. That is a good illness to have.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 am

Entered Sector 3 on Metroid Other M last night. Got the Grapple beam and saved after beating that giant bug thing when he attacked the black guy. It's been pretty decent so far.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 am

Next time you start a game, you should start all of your posts about that game with the day number of play through that game. It reads like a journal entry now and would be hilarious.

Day 26: Entered sector 3 on Metroid Other M. Got the Grapple beam and saved after beating a giant bug when he attacked the black guy. Things going decent so far.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Next time you start a game, you should start all of your posts about that game with the day number of play through that game. It reads like a journal entry now and would be hilarious.

Day 26: Entered sector 3 on Metroid Other M. Got the Grapple beam and saved after beating a giant bug when he attacked the black guy. Things going decent so far.

Will do. It may be another month or so. I'm only about 1/2 way through Metroid other M and have been playing it for like 2 months. Damn kids.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu May 16, 2013 11:22 am

I used to play a role playing board game called Car Wars back in the day (elementary/middle school in the 1980s). It was set in a post apocalyptic world that was a cross between Mad Max and the Wild West. Basically, your character would build a car to battle in arenas or make courier runs and fight against other gangs/cars and so on. It was a lot of fun, and there was a PC/Apple II version out called Autoduel (which I may have linked to in here before):

David Jaffe, creator of God of War and Twisted Metal, has started his own studio and will be making a PC game called Autoduel...which from the description, sounds like it's related to the original game. He will be crowdfunding the game, using Kickstarter.

Autoduel is set in a post-apocalyptic future where warriors "drive to survive" in armored vehicles scavenged from the crumbled landscape. Players will be able to choose from over 20 cars divided into three factions: Ratters, Scavengers, and Techies.

These cars can be upgraded with everything from mechanical modifications to weapons and armor. Gamers can also customize the paintwork and add decals to "show their allegiance and express their unique style."

Sounds like it would be worth checking out...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/god-of-war ... io-6408443
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Thu May 16, 2013 2:20 pm

I thought there was game like that already out...
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thepittman on Thu May 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Auto Assault was it's name, they turned off the servers though and it's another dead MMO
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 16, 2013 5:23 pm

22 hours, 20% done in Far Cry 2. And I'm already feeling getting burned out on the game. No way I want to spend 100 hours playing it.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu May 16, 2013 7:36 pm

"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently." - EA spokesperson Jeff Brown.

I'm not a Nintendo hater, and even looked forward to getting my kids ( read: me) a Wii U for Christmas. But when the world's largest game publisher doesn't have any games in the works for it...yikes.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-not-dev ... -u-6408481
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby the wicked child on Thu May 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Yikes. Seems worse than I thought.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Thu May 16, 2013 8:12 pm

Whenever Nuketown 2025 comes up I just back out. No reason to play that dreadful map
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 17, 2013 2:45 am

Is someone gets Metro Last Night, give opinion please.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri May 17, 2013 6:58 am

the wicked child wrote:Yikes. Seems worse than I thought.

its a shame because the concept is solid and the gamepad is great...nintendo is holding itself hostage. this thing could be a real wiiU/3DS hybrid console and now its just a wii+.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 17, 2013 8:35 am

canaan wrote:
the wicked child wrote:Yikes. Seems worse than I thought.

its a shame because the concept is solid and the gamepad is great...nintendo is holding itself hostage. this thing could be a real wiiU/3DS hybrid console and now its just a wii+.

Yep, that is what it seems.

It's a shame too. And I'm actually shocked that Nintendo hasn't even released their long time titles to boost the sales yet. I'm probably going to wait anyways because usually I wait like 2 years for when the price drops and there is a decent catalog of games that I enjoy, but it doesn't even seem they are moving in that direction.

They are really f'ing themselves. It's a shame.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 am

The "use old technology so its inexpensive and include a novelty gimmick" business model is apparently failing.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri May 17, 2013 9:04 am

Seems like they were in a hurry to try to be "first" with the "next gen", but seems like it didn't do them much good. From what I can tell, they basically moved their hardware into the realm of the other current systems and added an interesting controller. Not enough to really sway anyone new to their cause.

And even for a lifelong Nintendo fan such as myself, I only really care about Zelda and Metroid (and Mario, but kind of tired of the "new" SMB type games - they need another SMG type game). I actually wish they would just develop these games for other systems now tbh. They clearly aren't going to compete in terms of hardware and third party development has been crap for years now (largely due to the "gimmicky" controls that people either don't understand or don't care to).

There were occasional gems on the Wii outside of the core series... Okami stands out above all for me, but... that was a port of the PS2 game.

I've mentioned this before NAN, but you HAVE to play Okami. Such an amazing game. I'm still tempted to buy the HD version on PSN. Anyone know if it's still $40? (too lazy to look it up myself :D)

I won't even consider purchasing a Wii-U until they release a new Zelda or Metroid... and even then, it largely depends on price. I'm guessing you can't transfer downloads from the Wii to Wii-U given that you can't even do it from system to system except for extraordinary cases.

It seems like that controller would open some cool possibilities, but seems like a lot of devs aren't biting.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri May 17, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks twc. I will probably end up trying that game (Okami).

But it will probably be the last on my list of games I own right now that I'm trying to complete on the Wii. I'm down to the final 4:

- Metriod Other M (about 50%)
- Zelda the Twighlight Princess
- Zelda Skyward Sword
- Lego LOTR

I may pick up the Donkey Kong game as well. This should take me about a year, and then if I don't have a Wii U I'll most likely pick up that game because there are no other ones that interest me that I don't already own/beat.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri May 17, 2013 9:31 am

My understanding is that video game development costs of spiraled out of control. if porting to Wii U is going to be too expensive for a developer they just won't do it. this is going to be even more true when PS4/720 are released if they do in fact share the same processor design as rumored.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:26 am

pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 17, 2013 10:27 am

The first one.
Idoit40fans