Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I feel like Matt Cameron and Kim Thayil are criminally underrated musicians.
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed May 15, 2013 4:04 pm

WDWBurghGooner wrote:I feel like Matt Cameron and Kim Thayil are criminally underrated musicians.

How true!!! I watched Kim on Sunday and the man is all riffs and business. Matt Cameron is one of my favorite drummers ever. Even his work in Pearl Jam has made them a more talented and solid group.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 am

So im probably late to the party, but the band GHOST is awesome. Ive heard two songs...

Which is a Beatles cover..

And

I love both of these songs. But I am courious if they all feature clean vocals like these do.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu May 16, 2013 7:54 am

The new QOTSA leaked, have to remember to put it on the ipod tomorrow.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu May 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Troy Loney wrote:The new QOTSA leaked, have to remember to put it on the ipod tomorrow.

IT DID??!!!!
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

Gaucho wrote:
columbia wrote:I like Giorgio Moroder (the person), but not necessarily Daftpunk.

Not even their 1st album?

That "One More Time" song was certainly catchy.
I actually heard a review of the new one, on the way home.

VERY disco sounding.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 16, 2013 7:30 pm

columbia wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
columbia wrote:I like Giorgio Moroder (the person), but not necessarily Daftpunk.

Not even their 1st album?

That "One More Time" song was certainly catchy.
I actually heard a review of the new one, on the way home.

VERY disco sounding.

One More Time was from ther 2nd, rather lame album.

This was from their 1st:

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu May 16, 2013 8:21 pm

You would think that I would know that record, but I don't.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu May 16, 2013 8:28 pm

I would absolutely think so, yes. It was one of those records, you know. One of those that we could all agree on. What a great sound. An album you bought better speakers for. Good times.

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri May 17, 2013 9:58 am

So kenny the kangaroo went to the cd exchange dahn in squirrel hill yesterday and lo and behold, they had a few (new, in package) Random Access Memories CD's chilling on their shelves for 9.99. Kenny the kangaroo thought it was odd that they either didnt care or did not know that the cd was supposed to be released until next week. But whatever, if you just cant wait to get your hands on Daft Punks new cd, go to squirrel hill.

Thus far, kenny the kangaroo is a bit on the dissapoint side. Obviously the trend with this type of music has been the skrillex/deadmaus/scratchy noises/shrieky noises bass stuff. Reading about this daft punk album, kenny the kangaroo was encouraged that DP was not going in that direction.

Unfortunately, at least for this gentleman, its not really a good direction. Kenny the kangaroo fell in loving with daft punk while driving for hours on the PA Turnpike listening to all those catchy, lightly, fluffly enjoyable sounds. This new album is kind of a turn from that old d punk sound. kenny the kangaroo respects and gets that d-punk is trying to do something different and something new. What they are trying to do, its unclear.
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri May 17, 2013 10:02 am

This might provide KtK with some insight on that:
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/16/184499357 ... -can-bring
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 am

let the record show that kenny the kangaroo ranks the first three daft punk albums in this order:

1.) Discovery
2.) Homework
3.) Human after all
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 am

Gaucho wrote:I would absolutely think so, yes. It was one of those records, you know. One of those that we could all agree on. What a great sound. An album you bought better speakers for. Good times.

i don't think there will ever be an electronic album that everyone would think was good...for some reason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri May 17, 2013 10:13 am

I didn't mean "we" as in all of us, but rather as in we, the people that are into certain types of music and pop culture.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri May 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Kurt Vile is on the Letterman show this evening.
I can't say that I can recall the last time I've seen his show.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri May 17, 2013 12:52 pm

ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby columbia on Fri May 17, 2013 12:54 pm

lol
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 17, 2013 2:20 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:So kenny the kangaroo went to the cd exchange dahn in squirrel hill yesterday and lo and behold, they had a few (new, in package) Random Access Memories CD's chilling on their shelves for 9.99. Kenny the kangaroo thought it was odd that they either didnt care or did not know that the cd was supposed to be released until next week. But whatever, if you just cant wait to get your hands on Daft Punks new cd, go to squirrel hill.

Thus far, kenny the kangaroo is a bit on the dissapoint side. Obviously the trend with this type of music has been the skrillex/deadmaus/scratchy noises/shrieky noises bass stuff. Reading about this daft punk album, kenny the kangaroo was encouraged that DP was not going in that direction.

Unfortunately, at least for this gentleman, its not really a good direction. Kenny the kangaroo fell in loving with daft punk while driving for hours on the PA Turnpike listening to all those catchy, lightly, fluffly enjoyable sounds. This new album is kind of a turn from that old d punk sound. kenny the kangaroo respects and gets that d-punk is trying to do something different and something new. What they are trying to do, its unclear.

lol, I enjoyed the post, kenny.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 17, 2013 2:53 pm

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:So kenny the kangaroo went to the cd exchange dahn in squirrel hill yesterday and lo and behold, they had a few (new, in package) Random Access Memories CD's chilling on their shelves for 9.99. Kenny the kangaroo thought it was odd that they either didnt care or did not know that the cd was supposed to be released until next week. But whatever, if you just cant wait to get your hands on Daft Punks new cd, go to squirrel hill.

If you're feeling adventurous, you should go in a different direction and check out Caravan Palace or Wax Tailor.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri May 17, 2013 2:58 pm

I thought i put the Daft Punk on the ipod...but i didn't.

On a side note, don't care at all for the new National album and the QOTSA was boring the first time through.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cma3585 on Fri May 17, 2013 3:00 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:So im probably late to the party, but the band GHOST is awesome. Ive heard two songs...

And

I love both of these songs. But I am courious if they all feature clean vocals like these do.

Very late to the party. They're definitely solid and bring a fresh Blue Oyster Cult type vibe to the modern rock scene. And yes, both albums and every song have vocals like that, which is funny because their singer, as hard as he tries to hide his identity, came from underground death metal legends Repugnant.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cma3585 on Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Can't get enough of 70s throwback Sabbath-like hard rock/metal. Got both of this band's albums on vinyl and they sound outstanding.

cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JS© on Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Black Flag playing at Stage AE on June 7th. I'm guessing they'll be playing in front of a larger crowd.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat May 18, 2013 8:28 pm

cma3585 wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:So im probably late to the party, but the band GHOST is awesome. Ive heard two songs...

And

Very late to the party. They're definitely solid and bring a fresh Blue Oyster Cult type vibe to the modern rock scene. And yes, both albums and every song have vocals like that, which is funny because their singer, as hard as he tries to hide his identity, came from underground death metal legends Repugnant.

I definitely like this band a lot. Really its the laid back vibe ala BOC like you said. I need some new music to get me excited again.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tjand72 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:57 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
cma3585 wrote:

And

I definitely like this band a lot. Really its the laid back vibe ala BOC like you said. I need some new music to get me excited again.

There's a hint of Dog Fashion Disco/any Todd Smith project with the laid-back syth-rock sound.
tjand72
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR