Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 am

If you actually have these controllers and a PS2 controller I'd recommend the USB controller port. It's super nice and really playing N64 games with the PS2 controller is pretty good but even if you wanted to play with the N64 controller you could just plug it in to the adapter.

Edit: It's the Komodo adaptor. I have it, works great.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 am

i have a ps2 style logitech controller and also a Wii classic controller, but i cant come up with any button arrangement i like given that the 64 has 6 right thumb buttons instead of the more common 4.

ive tried goldeneye and star fox with both of them and just cant do it - ive spent too much time playing them with the real thing.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Spangler on Fri May 17, 2013 10:42 am

Gottah go with the classic controller.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:45 am

I always despised the N64 controller. Way too uncomfortable and too much going on .
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 17, 2013 12:02 pm

the wicked child wrote:I've mentioned this before NAN, but you HAVE to play Okami. Such an amazing game. I'm still tempted to buy the HD version on PSN. Anyone know if it's still $40? (too lazy to look it up myself :D)

I believe it's $20.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 17, 2013 12:07 pm

skullman80 wrote:I always despised the N64 controller. Way too uncomfortable and too much going on .

I remember not having a problem with it when I was playing N64, but then I tried to go back to it after Dreamcast and it was unusable. Then I tried to go back to Dreamcast after Xbox and it was fine. I can still use the xbox controller, but the Dreamcast controller is a little weird.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm

omg omg omg, I think I found the new best game ever. Fuse. Played the demo and this is a sure buy. It controls like Uncharted, even has the jumping and climbing, but it has quality combat. You control a squad of 4 people - 2 dudes and 2 chicks, all with different specialities (you can switch between characters) - and the setting's in the future. Just got killed by two big robots. Maybe robots or maybe dudes in big mech suits. Bottom line is that the graphics and gameplay are like in Uncharted, but it's more combat oriented.

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri May 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
the wicked child wrote:I've mentioned this before NAN, but you HAVE to play Okami. Such an amazing game. I'm still tempted to buy the HD version on PSN. Anyone know if it's still $40? (too lazy to look it up myself :D)

I believe it's $20.

Is that the real price or PS+ price? For $20 I may do it. Not much desire to pay $40 for a game I already have.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm

I just used a birthday giftcard to buy 1 year of PS+. You can't really beat that. Currently downloading Sleeping Dogs...should be ready by morning. It's a '$50' value, which covers the cost of the 1 year of PS+. Not sure when I'm gonna play it. I'm about 40 hours into Kingdom of Amalur, 3 hours into Assassin's Creed 3, and Call of Juarez BIB on deck.

#1stworldproblems
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat May 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Finally got back to playing God of War Ascension today. It's not bad, but not really anything remotely new. Complete with frustrating sections where you die 10 times before getting through them.

Nothing as bad as the spike room in the original. OMG, I wanted to kick puppies on that thing.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat May 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
skullman80 wrote:I always despised the N64 controller. Way too uncomfortable and too much going on .

I remember not having a problem with it when I was playing N64, but then I tried to go back to it after Dreamcast and it was unusable. Then I tried to go back to Dreamcast after Xbox and it was fine. I can still use the xbox controller, but the Dreamcast controller is a little weird.

Yes. Back when I was in high school, no issues. If I tried to use it now, I'd be all kinds of effed up
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 am

Just started Sleeping Dogs last night, and got thru the prologue. It looks to be pretty sweet, and I think I'm gonna like the story. I've read that the end is somewhat disappointing, but I find that my standards are lower than most. Also downloading Darksiders, The Cave, and something else from PS+. So worth the $50.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 9:45 am

malkinshair wrote:Just started Sleeping Dogs last night, and got thru the prologue. It looks to be pretty sweet, and I think I'm gonna like the story. I've read that the end is somewhat disappointing, but I find that my standards are lower than most. Also downloading Darksiders, The Cave, and something else from PS+. So worth the $50.

Yeah, I was going to tell you to quickly download Darksiders because that's expiring on Tuesday. I swear to you that is one of the best games I played in the last few years. It's long and satisfying in the end. I played the demo about a year ago and thought it was OK, but not what I was looking for. Then when I got it on PS+ and really got into it, I just fell in love with it. It's amazing, imo. The most responsive controls and some of the best combat I ever experienced. I need to get Darksiders 2 - played that for like an hour... seemed different but also quality.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 9:47 am

the wicked child wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

I believe it's $20.

Is that the real price or PS+ price? For $20 I may do it. Not much desire to pay $40 for a game I already have.

Yeah, real. They had it on sale for + people maybe a month ago for $10. I was going to buy it, but forgot. Grr.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 9:51 am

Oh, I'm still at 20% on Far Cry 2. That game's too long. And every mission is the same. Go here, kill these people, next. You go through a checkpoint and eliminate those guys, 10 minutes later they respawn. I love the driving and the combat is fun, but the missions and story are inconsequential. This game reminds me of Just Cause 2... I left that one about half way through or maybe 1/3 in. Still going to play FC2, just less. What sucks is that Act 2 begins at around 50% from what I read, and that's when you get the better weapons like the Saw machine gun. So I spent 22 hours so far and I'm at 20% completion. Game is too long and very very shallow because it doesn't have a story that would grab you... it's strictly for fans of mindless shooting.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 10:01 am

I downloaded Sleeping Dogs. So far, the fighting is pretty awesome. I hope the story will be intersting so I could actually care what happens. Seems like a big game, though. I don't want to spend sooooooo many hours on a video game. :(

I have 2 motorcycles now. I don't like the controls, if I'm being honest. They're not bad, but I've had much better in Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2. They're a little stiff, well, maybe better bikes later will drive better. But I couldn't even finish the 1st race after trying like 7 times. I'd crash into crap and get disqualified.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Sun May 19, 2013 1:39 pm

Just started Super Metroid. Only $0.30 on Wii U. Best deal ever.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dbizzle66 on Sun May 19, 2013 2:18 pm

farnham16 wrote:Just started Super Metroid. Only $0.30 on Wii U. Best deal ever.

Easily in my top 10 games of all time on any console/pc. The music was masterful.

Currently playing Path of Exile, a diablo clone made by some dudes on the internet - completely free to play. It ain't bad.
dbizzle66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun May 19, 2013 4:55 pm

malkinshair wrote:Just started Sleeping Dogs last night, and got thru the prologue. It looks to be pretty sweet, and I think I'm gonna like the story. I've read that the end is somewhat disappointing, but I find that my standards are lower than most. Also downloading Darksiders, The Cave, and something else from PS+. So worth the $50.

I stopped playing that randomly. Just ordered LA Noire and Batman Arkham City for a total of $34. Pretty happy about that. Played none of LA Noire and just played the Demo of Arkham City. Good times to be had.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Sun May 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:

I stopped playing that randomly. Just ordered LA Noire and Batman Arkham City for a total of $34. Pretty happy about that. Played none of LA Noire and just played the Demo of Arkham City. Good times to be had.

LA Noire was a step, but sometimes Cole (the main character) will absolutely lose his **** if you doubt what someone is saying. I don't like when games make something seem innocent and then I turn into a secret police interrogator one blink away from dicing up whomever I am talking to.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Oh, I'm still at 20% on Far Cry 2. That game's too long. And every mission is the same. Go here, kill these people, next. You go through a checkpoint and eliminate those guys, 10 minutes later they respawn. I love the driving and the combat is fun, but the missions and story are inconsequential. This game reminds me of Just Cause 2... I left that one about half way through or maybe 1/3 in. Still going to play FC2, just less. What sucks is that Act 2 begins at around 50% from what I read, and that's when you get the better weapons like the Saw machine gun. So I spent 22 hours so far and I'm at 20% completion. Game is too long and very very shallow because it doesn't have a story that would grab you... it's strictly for fans of mindless shooting.

I played FC2 to prepare for FC3...even though they have nothing to do with one another. I got to about 25-30% before I gave up. I got sick of respawning enemy outposts. It made it feel like I wasn't really accomplishing anything in the game.

Far Cry 3, though, was one of my favorite games to play through...ever. It was much more balanced gameplay, a better setting, outposts that you captured and converted to ally, etc. Devs learned a lot about what held FC2 back, didn't forget what made FC2 great, and improved every negative to make FC3.

You'll love it.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby malkinshair on Sun May 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Rylan wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:

LA Noire was a step, but sometimes Cole (the main character) will absolutely lose his **** if you doubt what someone is saying. I don't like when games make something seem innocent and then I turn into a secret police interrogator one blink away from dicing up whomever I am talking to.

Yeah, LA Noire lost me. I was so excited to play it (the first and only ps3 game I've ever preordered), and it did deliver the different gameplay / facial animations, but about 2/3rds of the way thru I just lost interest. I put it down one day, and never went back. Really good game...just not for me, I guess.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun May 19, 2013 5:28 pm

I wish Far Cry 3 had a sort of defend the outposts from recapture thing. Once you captured an outpost the whole area was always friendly with the occasional skirmish between Pirates and the Rakyat. It was silly that the pirates never tried to recontrol an area or at least cause havoc. If you captured an outpost the island died.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun May 19, 2013 5:42 pm

BF3 Premium Edition (Base game, 5 DLC's, Premium perks) for PC download is $25:

http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Premi ... f3+premium
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby malkinshair on Sun May 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Rylan wrote:I wish Far Cry 3 had a sort of defend the outposts from recapture thing. Once you captured an outpost the whole area was always friendly with the occasional skirmish between Pirates and the Rakyat. It was silly that the pirates never tried to recontrol an area or at least cause havoc. If you captured an outpost the island died.

:thumb:
That would've been sweet. Kind of a RDR Undead Nightmare thing. Who do we have to call to get this done?
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to NHR