Sexual Harassment has been redefined on campuses

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sexual Harassment has been redefined on campuses

Postby count2infinity on Fri May 17, 2013 9:39 am

obhave wrote:
count2infinity wrote:
Froggy wrote:I should add that this is not about rape or sexual assault. It is about women being able to report men for sexual harassment for ridiculous reasons. The fact that this issue gets lumped in to a discussion about rape and sexual assault is exactly why it terrifies me.

:thumb: apparently you can't talk about one without the other. It's all in the "rape culture" that has developed in our generation... apparently.

The broad definition of "harassment" almost makes a joke out of rape culture. It shouldn't be lumped in, in my opinion. I'm also sorry for bringing in sexual assault to the conversation, it just that is what most of the stats I have are for. And when it comes to proceedings on campuses they are all lumped together. My apologies.

I really just can't get over how broad and awful the definition is. I've already mentioned how bad this could be for the discussions of rape, sex, etc. But what about the accused? If you do the slightest thing under this definition, you are branded for life as someone who has "sexually harassed" someone. Maybe all you did was talk about sex in front of another person. OH DEAR GOD.

It is very important to protect women and men from sexual harassment, this broad definition is just not the way to do it.

:thumb:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 17, 2013 9:42 am

If my son was planning on going to college in the next few years, I would just start beating the straight out of him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby WDWBurghGooner on Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 am

Idoit40fans wrote:If my son was planning on going to college in the next few years, I would just start beating the straight out of him.

Hahaha
WDWBurghGooner
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby She'sTheFastest on Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm a teacher and make it a point never to talk to a girl one-on-one unless there is another adult in range of our voices. Sometimes my attempt to exit the situation is faster than She.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri May 17, 2013 8:38 pm

She'sTheFastest wrote:I'm a teacher and make it a point never to talk to a girl one-on-one unless there is another adult in range of our voices. Sometimes my attempt to exit the situation is faster than She.

One of my brothers was a HS teacher and did this too.
There's no need to take any chances of some kid making up bs (to piss off her mother or something).
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Fri May 17, 2013 8:40 pm

columbia wrote:
She'sTheFastest wrote:I'm a teacher and make it a point never to talk to a girl one-on-one unless there is another adult in range of our voices. Sometimes my attempt to exit the situation is faster than She.

One of my brothers was a HS teacher and did this too.
There's no need to take any chances of some kid making up bs (to piss off her mother or something).

Yeah, I said the second part in jest. However, it is a very real concern and it can DESTROY someone if it is not treated as such.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 18, 2013 9:19 am

We live in a strange world... In the midst of this conversation about the redefinition of Sexual Harrassment on college campuses, I encountered an article stating the following:

Ladies of New York , you are free to walk bare-breasted through the city! New York City's 34,000 police officers have been instructed that, should they encounter a woman in public who is shirtless but obeying the law, they should not arrest her. This is a good step towards gender parity in public spaces.

I won't put the link here because, well, I'm not sure why not... I mean if it's legal on the city streets of NYC???

Anyway... I'm trying to figure out if a male student on the campus of NYU, Columbia, Pace or some other city based campus, could claim he was being harrassed because a bare chested woman walked up to him and wiggled. :shock:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:We live in a strange world... In the midst of this conversation about the redefinition of Sexual Harrassment on college campuses, I encountered an article stating the following:

Ladies of New York , you are free to walk bare-breasted through the city! New York City's 34,000 police officers have been instructed that, should they encounter a woman in public who is shirtless but obeying the law, they should not arrest her. This is a good step towards gender parity in public spaces.

I won't put the link here because, well, I'm not sure why not... I mean if it's legal on the city streets of NYC???

Anyway... I'm trying to figure out if a male student on the campus of NYU, Columbia, Pace or some other city based campus, could claim he was being harrassed because a bare chested woman walked up to him and wiggled. :shock:

You didn't put the link here because you're a chicken baawk baawk. I googled that quote and saw boobs. :shock:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun May 19, 2013 11:33 am

on one hand, if women want to walk around topless in public, ok fine whatever. on the other hand, don't be surprised if people have a reaction to that. It's naive to think that the naked female body isn't something that is sexualized. and it's a biological reaction stemming from when we were all monkeys. i certainly wouldn't want this issue combined with overly liberal sexual harassment laws. that's just a trap.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NHR