Current video game being played

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Current video game being played

Postby Rylan on Sun May 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Have you tried the Far Cry DLC? Blood Dragon I think its called...its pretty much every 80s action movie from my understanding.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 8:31 pm

malkinshair wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Oh, I'm still at 20% on Far Cry 2. That game's too long. And every mission is the same. Go here, kill these people, next. You go through a checkpoint and eliminate those guys, 10 minutes later they respawn. I love the driving and the combat is fun, but the missions and story are inconsequential. This game reminds me of Just Cause 2... I left that one about half way through or maybe 1/3 in. Still going to play FC2, just less. What sucks is that Act 2 begins at around 50% from what I read, and that's when you get the better weapons like the Saw machine gun. So I spent 22 hours so far and I'm at 20% completion. Game is too long and very very shallow because it doesn't have a story that would grab you... it's strictly for fans of mindless shooting.

I played FC2 to prepare for FC3...even though they have nothing to do with one another. I got to about 25-30% before I gave up. I got sick of respawning enemy outposts. It made it feel like I wasn't really accomplishing anything in the game.

Far Cry 3, though, was one of my favorite games to play through...ever. It was much more balanced gameplay, a better setting, outposts that you captured and converted to ally, etc. Devs learned a lot about what held FC2 back, didn't forget what made FC2 great, and improved every negative to make FC3.

You'll love it.

I started playing FC2 because I saw how cool FC3 is so I am looking forward to that one. Not right away but it's on my list.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I downloaded Sleeping Dogs. So far, the fighting is pretty awesome. I hope the story will be intersting so I could actually care what happens. Seems like a big game, though. I don't want to spend sooooooo many hours on a video game. :(

I have 2 motorcycles now. I don't like the controls, if I'm being honest. They're not bad, but I've had much better in Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2. They're a little stiff, well, maybe better bikes later will drive better. But I couldn't even finish the 1st race after trying like 7 times. I'd crash into crap and get disqualified.

Umm. I tried a scooter and a little girly bike and then a sportsbike '1100' and they all handled really well. The two bikes I own now are sucky for some reason. One came from a DLC. I wanted to buy the 1100 one but it says I need FACE 4 and I'm only FACE 1.

How the hell do I improve FACE!?!?!?!?!? I think somewhere said through brutal and intimidating actions but I don't know what it means and if I do it during missions or to random people on the street. Or is being good to normal people a good thing for FACE? I need to read the manual again, maybe it's in there.

Several cars I tried handled well, actually. I was concerned about driving controls but maybe I got a wrong impression at first. I still don't think the cars handle anywhere near the way cars did in Saints Row 2 where I'd just burn tires like a maniac, but they're pretty good here and maybe I'll get better cars later.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 pm

game manual for Sleeping Dogs:

http://na.square-enix.com/sleepingdogs/
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sun May 19, 2013 9:34 pm

I think you get face stuff form doing favors for people. I think they are marked on the map in yellow. I just picked sleeping dogs back up. I had it, and I traded it before finishing it, not because it was a bad game, just too much other stuff to play. Now it being a free download on PS+ i can finish it finally.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 pm

farnham16 wrote:Just started Super Metroid. Only $0.30 on Wii U. Best deal ever.

So good. :thumb:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 pm

Gonna try beating Super Mario 3 later beating every level without using warp whistles.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Sun May 19, 2013 9:49 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Gonna try beating Super Mario 3 later beating every level without using warp whistles.

i actually beat it this week for the first time ever. i didnt defeat every level but i didnt use the whistles.

i thought bowsers castle was so much infinitely easier than any other level in the 8th world. same about the first mario which i also just recently beat for the first time. now im working on mario 2, which is the only one i beat as a kid.

so since i started my emulator project ive beat for the first time:
-super mario bros
-super mario bros 3
-legend of zelda
-mega man 2
-sonic 2

im working on robocop vs the terminator for snes now. after that and mario 2 im gonna work on battletoads
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Sun May 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Nice, I don't even remember Bowser's castle it's been that long since I played SMB3, I just recently got all 3 endings for Castlevania 2
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sun May 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Bowser's castle isn't bad if you know the path through.

I seldom use the warp whistles although I usually don't play every stage.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Godric on Mon May 20, 2013 2:02 am

Okay, so I just got my new PC and I'm looking to get a game to blow some spare time on.

I have no idea what to get. I've beaten/played pretty much all the major titles out there right now:
Skyrim
Fallout
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Metro Last Light
Battlefield
COD

I've been surfing the internet for a game the last couple days and no review or trailer or anything has really struck me.... I could really use a suggestion :thumb:
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 am

Going back and playing Fallout New Vegas as a bad dude. My first act of evil was helping the Powder Gangers take over the town of Goodsprings. This included murdering the very friendly citizens who helped save my life.

I feel ridiculously guilty over doing bad things in video games. I guess that's a sign of an overactive conscience, which isn't the worst thing in the world :lol: Then again, I can kill scores of people in GTA, since you never actually interact with them.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 7:58 am

I am never able to bring myself to kill people in the fallout or elder scrolls games or any game like that really. Agreed though, no problem with it in GTA.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Mon May 20, 2013 9:32 am

May 20th: Got the space jump and screw attack in Metroid other M. Went through a few cutscenes and now I'm entering Sector Zero. Have 41 missle expansion, 6 accel, 8 energy parts, and 5 energy tanks.

Will follow up in future entry.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:58 am

malkinshair wrote:I played FC2 to prepare for FC3...even though they have nothing to do with one another. I got to about 25-30% before I gave up. I got sick of respawning enemy outposts. It made it feel like I wasn't really accomplishing anything in the game.

Far Cry 3, though, was one of my favorite games to play through...ever. It was much more balanced gameplay, a better setting, outposts that you captured and converted to ally, etc. Devs learned a lot about what held FC2 back, didn't forget what made FC2 great, and improved every negative to make FC3.

The highs of FC3 are higher than anything in FC2 (mostly because of Vaas), but the lows are also worse. On balance I don't really prefer one over the other. The first 2/3-3/4 of FC3 were as good as any FPS I've ever played. Then.... it just kind of goes all stupid and rail shootery and the final missions with Sam are completely disjointed and anti-climactic. It's almost like they had a different ending for the game in mind, and then like three weeks from GMC date one of the artists said, "Oh crap; guys, the end of our game is exactly like the end of 'Bridge on the River Kwai'. We have to re-do the final 3 hours!" There's just no real connection to the story that they had developed up to that point. A big part of that is because of the way the two big boss battles are staged (or rather, the order in which they happen), and so you're left dealing with the lesser evil as the final battle. There was just no more story tension.

Rylan wrote:Have you tried the Far Cry DLC? Blood Dragon I think its called...its pretty much every 80s action movie from my understanding.

Michael Biehn voices the main playing character. 'Nuff said. 8-) It's not technically DLC, cos you don't need FC3 to get Blood Dragon and the two games have nothing at all to do with each other.

I was a little PO'd tho; I played through the first level and the stupid thing didn't autosave my progress. So when I came back to play again I had to start over at the beginning. Boo.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 20, 2013 10:01 am

Godric wrote:Okay, so I just got my new PC and I'm looking to get a game to blow some spare time on.

I have no idea what to get. I've beaten/played pretty much all the major titles out there right now:
Skyrim
Fallout
Bioshock
Mass Effect
Metro Last Light
Battlefield
COD

I've been surfing the internet for a game the last couple days and no review or trailer or anything has really struck me.... I could really use a suggestion :thumb:

Get Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite (skip BS2; it's pretty derivative). Play them. You're welcome.

The first Modern Warfare is pretty good, but they get progressively dumber and less fun. The favela level in 2 is pretty awesome, tho.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:Gonna try beating Super Mario 3 later beating every level without using warp whistles.

i actually beat it this week for the first time ever. i didnt defeat every level but i didnt use the whistles.

i thought bowsers castle was so much infinitely easier than any other level in the 8th world. same about the first mario which i also just recently beat for the first time. now im working on mario 2, which is the only one i beat as a kid.

so since i started my emulator project ive beat for the first time:
-super mario bros
-super mario bros 3
-legend of zelda
-mega man 2
-sonic 2

im working on robocop vs the terminator for snes now. after that and mario 2 im gonna work on battletoads

Robocop vs. Terminator is an incredibly good shoot'em up game. There are tons of secrets in the game as well. It's just a really good game with lots of replay value. ED gun dominates but not to the point you're invincible. It really balanced difficulty with an awesome time. Pair those with the great visuals and sound effects and it's a really great game.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Spangler on Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I am never able to bring myself to kill people in the fallout or elder scrolls games or any game like that really. Agreed though, no problem with it in GTA.

But, but video games train you to be a cold blooded killer.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 pm

The next gen Xbox announcement is tomorrow. Some rumors:
-will have an x86 processor (likely would mean no backwards compatibility)
-will have a basic version of Windows 8
-can control a cablebox via hdmi, overlaying cooler guide features and searching
-will require an internet connection for some features
-$500 price tag
-Kinect in the box
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Spangler wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I am never able to bring myself to kill people in the fallout or elder scrolls games or any game like that really. Agreed though, no problem with it in GTA.

But, but video games train you to be a cold blooded killer.

Actually video games do help train soldiers. A study showed that soldiers that played video games during their lifetimes were better at multitasking which in turn made them better soldiers.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:The next gen Xbox announcement is tomorrow. Some rumors:
-will have an x86 processor (likely would mean no backwards compatibility)
-will have a basic version of Windows 8
-can control a cablebox via hdmi, overlaying cooler guide features and searching
-will require an internet connection for some features
-$500 price tag
-Kinect in the box

The no backwards comparable issue really really pisses me off.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Mon May 20, 2013 4:54 pm

Godric wrote:Okay, so I just got my new PC and I'm looking to get a game to blow some spare time on.

Kerbal Space Program!

Or, if you're not a wannabe rocket scientist, have you played Half-Life 1/2 and Portal 1/2? How about Deus Ex: Hunan Revolution? Dead Space 1/2/3? If you never played them in the past, you could do some old-school gaming and play Thief 1/2/3. The bundle for all of them is $18.99 on Steam.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Mon May 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Deus Ex Human Revolution is awesome. Its no Alpha Protocol but its definitely a sweet game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:21 pm

DEHR was on Steam yesterday for cheap, so I bought it on a whim.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:23 pm

tifosi77 wrote:DEHR was on Steam yesterday for cheap, so I bought it on a whim.

Outstanding choice. I noticed the sale yesterday, and was kind of sad that I had played through it already. EXTREMELY fun game, the stealth components are extraordinarily well done, somewhat reminiscent of the stealth aspects of MGS. Of course, all of the other stuff (hacking terminals, etc) is also fun.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR