OFFIGIAL GDT 5/19/13: EASTERN SEMI GAME 3: PENS @ SENS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFIGIAL GDT 5/19/13: EASTERN SEMI GAME 3: PENS @ SENS

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 am

shafnutz05 wrote:One thing I noticed last night...CONSTANT "shot, rebound, clear" sequences in the Ottawa zone. There was nobody in front of the net doing the dirty work.

I noticed a lack of puck support all around. They did play good enough to win though. Really thought we had it when the refs "gifted" us that late PP in regulation. Since no one has said it.... this loss falls on Mr. Bylsma and the execution of that putrid play.

Kunitz F
Malkin F
Letang F (I wouldn't reward him with a Norris based strictly off of this play regardless if it's postseason. He didn't even peek over his shoulder. Fail.)
Last edited by SoupOrSam on Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 am

Anderson looked like the goaltender everyone hyped him up as last night or did we make him look like that? That seems to be the question.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MarioLives on Mon May 20, 2013 6:59 am

We can make all the excuses we want for the Pens. One cannot argue that this is a bad loss. Not because I think they wont win the series, but because of the collective drain this puts on their bodies, that did not need to be taken. Looking at the big picure, OT losses, especially long OT, hurts a team physically, IMO.

Now, hopefully they win the next 2 and get a little rest. Then this wont matter at all.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 am

MarioLives wrote: Looking at the big picure, OT losses, especially long OT, hurts a team physically

Maybe the extra day off will help?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 am

CERV96 wrote:
MarioLives wrote: Looking at the big picure, OT losses, especially long OT, hurts a team physically

My thoughts exactly.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stevens25 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 am

Why did we not let Iginla rip one timers on the PP repeatedly last night? It has worked amazingly all playoffs. the PP was utterly disgusting last night. How many bad angle shots do we need to take?
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 7:09 am

CERV96 wrote:Anderson looked like the goaltender everyone hyped him up as last night or did we make him look like that? That seems to be the question.

I felt that most of the shots went uncontested last night. Nobody crashed/banged the net.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon May 20, 2013 7:14 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
CERV96 wrote:Anderson looked like the goaltender everyone hyped him up as last night or did we make him look like that? That seems to be the question.

I felt that most of the shots went uncontested last night. Nobody crashed/banged the net.

Very little traffic indeed.

Iggy is really starting to concern me 5 on 5. Same with Malkin and his brain farts, that line has one skill - Malkin fly around like a mad man and often enough embarrass a few defenders and get a quality chance.

It was nice to see a more concerned overall team defensive effort. Although Ottawa didn't do too much net crashing either.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 7:21 am

I get the vibe Neal is more hurt than is putting on. He's either behind the play, or sprawled out on the ice because he can't skate.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Mon May 20, 2013 7:30 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I get the vibe Neal is more hurt than is putting on. He's either behind the play, or sprawled out on the ice because he can't skate.

I tend to agree. I'm not a real Neal fan but he looks like he's going at about 70% right now. He doesn't make the moves to the tough areas of the ice with any precision/decisiveness that he does have, and seems slow and off-balance.

With him, Morrow and Iggy, they should form a band called Fall Down Boy because all 3 are swimming around the ice a lot this series. Not saying that any of them suck, but they aren't winning a lot of 50/50 battles and all look really slow. Ottawa is a fairly quick team forward-wise and not so much on D once you get past EK and they aren't the Isles who can move. I'm kind of concerned about later in the playoffs with what I'm seeing now, especially if its CHI.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 am

That being said I thought Morrow stuck out last night. Dude hits and grinds like it's always his last shift. Would like to see more points, but whatever.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

^ This goes back to the players are not put in a position to succeed. This lesson should have been learned last season with Martin. I am not on the whole DB hater association but I think he can do a lot better.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

SoupOrSam wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:One thing I noticed last night...CONSTANT "shot, rebound, clear" sequences in the Ottawa zone. There was nobody in front of the net doing the dirty work.

I noticed a lack of puck support all around. They did play good enough to win though. Really thought we had it when the refs "gifted" us that late PP in regulation. Since no one has said it.... this loss falls on Mr. Bylsma and the execution of that putrid play.

Kunitz F
Malkin F
Letang F (I wouldn't reward him with a Norris based strictly off of this play regardless if it's postseason. He didn't even peek over his shoulder. Fail.)

One thing I would like Letang to be more aware of is when Malkin or Crosby is on the ice. He neutralized one or the other of them multiple times just in the OT periods that I saw by going low into the zone forcing the Pens most talented and skilled players to sit at the point instead of working down low. He just needs to be more aware of what is going on. If Crosby or Malkin is on the ice don't go deep in the zone. Let those guys get in there because they're better.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 7:36 am

Realistic question. Does MAF go to two overtimes? I tend not to think so.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 20, 2013 7:39 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Realistic question. Does MAF go to two overtimes? I tend not to think so.

Nope, there were a few moments in last nights game where a friend of mine(who plays goal for us in adult league) looked at each other and both said Fleury gives that up.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon May 20, 2013 7:43 am

CERV96 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Realistic question. Does MAF go to two overtimes? I tend not to think so.

Nope, there were a few moments in last nights game where a friend of mine(who plays goal for us in adult league) looked at each other and both said Fleury gives that up.

I tend to agree. Vokoun and Anderson both were big time pressure goalies last night. Sure the Pens lost, but it's hard to argue that the game wasn't exciting.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon May 20, 2013 7:49 am

I think he would have stoned Alfie at the end of regulation. I also think he may have given up 5 goals before that. Such is the way of MAF.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 am

No, I think he gets a shutout.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 20, 2013 8:13 am

In all seriousness - Fleury would have been crucified for giving up those two goals last night, especially the overtime one. There would be 10 threads up this morning on his lack of rebound control or some other stupid **** about how he's a headcase in OT.

Vokoun wasn't really tested last night, or for that matter in any of these games. Ottawa hasn't generated all that much offensivly other than getting knocked on their ass in the crease area. He's doing exactly what he should be doing.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nocera on Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 am

CERV96 wrote:

Losing in OT is overrated. 2008 Wings did just fine after losing in the third OT
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Mon May 20, 2013 8:16 am

I don't know how anyone could crucify any goalie for the tying goal.

Surreal to me that Alfie somehow got in alone with under a minute to go when PGH was on a power play.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 20, 2013 8:18 am

Guinness wrote:I don't know how anyone could crucify any goalie for the tying goal.

Surreal to me that Alfie somehow got in alone with under a minute to go when PGH was on a power play.

Of course not - but we all know that if Fleury was in goal - he'd somehow be to blame.

One nice thing about having Vokoun in net - is the instant change in analyzing goals by the LGP community. Suddenly some thought goes into defensive resonsibilities as opposed to just blaming the goalie. It's quite refreshing.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Mon May 20, 2013 8:30 am

Vokoun has a 0.949 save percentage through 5 playoff games. The Pens in their history have never had playoff goaltending this strong.

I'm not worried about this series at all really.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:Vokoun has a 0.949 save percentage through 5 playoff games. The Pens in their history have never had playoff goaltending this strong.

I'm not worried about this series at all really.

I agree - the combination of some increased defensive play along with a lack of Ottawa's offensive capabilities leaves me feeling the same.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Desiato on Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:Vokoun has a 0.949 save percentage through 5 playoff games. The Pens in their history have never had playoff goaltending this strong.

I'm pretty sure there have been other 5 game stretches where Pens goaltenders have put up numbers like that. Tugnut immediately comes to mind, but I think Wregget, Hedberg and Barrasso have had stretches like that. Playoffs aren't over yet.

Vokoun has been solid, but far from remarkable IMO. The numbers are representative of a consistent team effort.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins