LGP Golf Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: LGP Golf Thread

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu May 23, 2013 11:11 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:saxon golf course has a grass range but is far away as well.

maybe call and ask a country club if you can work yourself a deal?

I've tried that several times before to no avail :(
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Thu May 23, 2013 11:36 am

F the 1%
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Dustin Johnson practices his short game with Paulina Gretzky?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stonyman on Tue May 28, 2013 8:40 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I can't think of any public courses near the city that have grass. Pittsburgh national may be the closest.

Quicksilver has an all grass range (no mats) and Marada has both mats and grass.
stonyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stonyman on Tue May 28, 2013 8:42 am

Admin wrote:Apologies if this has been posted but cheater putters are being banned starting Jan 1, 2016 (LOL):
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9297 ... nuary-2016

Long putters are NOT banned. Only the anchoring of the putter to the body.
stonyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 am

GOOD. Anchored putting is for baddies.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:46 am

any lefty golfers out there divot.com is having a flash sale on about 30 LH woods - last years burner for 65
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 pm

I played a round with a demo club from the course I'm a member at (it was the only driver they had to try) and it was a Cobra Amp Cell driver. Holy crap. I gained 20 yards at least on my drive. It's really impressive.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Philadelphia is experiencing biblical rains this week. Probably the last thing the USGA wants to see for multiple reasons.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 am

They're saying there could be some historically low scores posted at the US Open due to the wet conditions. I have to agree with the USGA on this one, I want a US Open that is dry, hard greens, very fast, etc. This course will likely be anything but that by Thursday.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am

count2infinity wrote:I played a round with a demo club from the course I'm a member at (it was the only driver they had to try) and it was a Cobra Amp Cell driver. Holy crap. I gained 20 yards at least on my drive. It's really impressive.

what color did you use? i was hitting this off a launch monitor a while back and wasnt too enamored with it. the nike covert tour was incredible. really unique ball flight
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:50 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I played a round with a demo club from the course I'm a member at (it was the only driver they had to try) and it was a Cobra Amp Cell driver. Holy crap. I gained 20 yards at least on my drive. It's really impressive.

what color did you use? i was hitting this off a launch monitor a while back and wasnt too enamored with it. the nike covert tour was incredible. really unique ball flight

I used a silver one. I currently am using a 2007 Taylormade Burner Draw, 10.5 degree loft with standard flex shaft. The club I was using is a 2013 9.5 degree loft with stiff shaft. When you're looking at a 5+ year upgrade, not as high of a ball flight and a little stiffer shaft, that all contributed to the length. I don't think it was just that club that gave me the extra distance. I think any 2013 driver would give me a little more distance, especially with a 9.5 degree loft. I think I'm going to wait until the end of the year. Try to demo a few more clubs and buy one either the end of this year or the beginning of next.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 am

My Nike VRS driver snapped last week. It was in a real bizarre spot, clean at the end of the shaft. Anyway the pro at my club is sending it back and since they obvi don't make last year's model anymore I'm getting a new driver. Score. Need to check them out and see what they're looking like.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Merion is showing some teeth. Outstanding
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:22 am

My wife approved my allowance for this week :thumb: , so I'm off to hit the Callaway Razr X irons to see if I like them. They're $400 at dick's right now, and they'd be replacing the Tommy Armour 845s that I've had for, oh, 13 years or so...so I'm expecting some improvement. :D

I've hit the RBZs and Titleist AP1s, and will be interested to see if there is really a $250 difference. I can't imagine there is, but those AP1s were sweet.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Taylormade was doing a demo day at the course today. I went and hit the rocketbladez after I played 18. After my first shot, the guy that was helping me walked up and said "Set up to hit the ball and wait a sec. Move your had here." I took a swing. Dead straight about 5 or 6 shots in a row. I was amazed. I'm right handed and it was my right hand that he moved. He had me rotate it more counter clockwise. It felt really weird, but the results don't lie. I was bombing it and it was going very straight. He told me to go to a golf store. Hit every single 7 iron they have and whatever I like, buy it, either from them or online somewhere.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:23 pm

count2infinity wrote:Taylormade was doing a demo day at the course today. I went and hit the rocketbladez after I played 18. After my first shot, the guy that was helping me walked up and said "Set up to hit the ball and wait a sec. Move your had here." I took a swing. Dead straight about 5 or 6 shots in a row. I was amazed. I'm right handed and it was my right hand that he moved. He had me rotate it more counter clockwise. It felt really weird, but the results don't lie. I was bombing it and it was going very straight. He told me to go to a golf store. Hit every single 7 iron they have and whatever I like, buy it, either from them or online somewhere.

I hit the Callaway Diablo Edge, Razr X NG, TM Rocketballz, and one of the Adams sets today (off the indoor mat and dick's). For whatever reason, I've never like the feel of TaylorMade irons. The Razr Xs had the best feel...as in I could feel the club hit the ball. My problem is that I'm used to 14 year old 'game improvement' irons that would now probably be categorized as 'player' or 'tour' irons. I hit a steady 10-15 yard draw that I can straighten out if needed, but I don't really 'work' the ball. The feel is soooo different in these newer clubs that I'm having a hard time decided what feels 'right'.

I guess I'll just have to keep looking! :thumb:
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ulf on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 pm

I got the nike machspeeds 2 years ago. Not the best set they had at demo day but I hit them the best by far. Just about whatever feels right with your swing.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 pm

Did shad try to get tickets for this week?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby count2infinity on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:56 pm

it is down in his neck of the woods, but I don't think he did.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:47 am

Nah I didn't.

This Sunday is shaping up to be an incredible day.

Obviously, you have the Mickelson story line.

Justin Rose and Luke Donald, two great Brits without a major.

Steve Stricker, likable older veteran trying to become the oldest person to win his first major

Mahan: never won

Gonna be great.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:15 am

wonder how the weather is going to hold up this afternoon. I know we're to get thunderstorms in the early and late afternoon here in state college. hopefully they can get play in today.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 pm

count2infinity wrote:wonder how the weather is going to hold up this afternoon. I know we're to get thunderstorms in the early and late afternoon here in state college. hopefully they can get play in today.

I think they will be fine. Anything out there should be very isolated
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:26 pm

i'm kind of upset with the weather forcast. I looked last night before bed and it looked like rain as I was going to walk 18 early this morning. There was no rain, and in fact the sun was shining here most of the morning. bummer.

Did anyone else just see Rory bend the crap out of his club out of frustration?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:34 pm

wtf Stricker??
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR