GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GIVE ME YOUR BEER SUGGESTIONS!!

Postby MWB on Wed May 22, 2013 6:54 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Went to whole foods for the game tonight...found a bottle of Dragon Milk Stout, haven't had it before. Pretty excited

You should be. I think you'll like it.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MWB on Wed May 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Sarcastic wrote:Do you guys drink a lot of beer? Like how much a day or week. I like beer myself, but I can go for weeks without one. And I don't generally drink harder stuff, minus an occasional sex on a beach or some Kalhua or something like that. But no straight vodka or gin or any of the heavy stuff.

I have one beer 2 or 3 times during the week. Weekends, I usually have 2 beers or one 22 oz bottle. A lot of the beer I drink has ABV in the 7-10% range, so it's not nothing, but not enough to get me drunk. I have no desire to drink enough to be drunk.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Whew. Normally I don't like REALLY strong stouts that have an over-the-top bourbon flavor, but I think this was balanced quite well. Definitely a slow sipper. Unrelated, since I liked Dragon's Milk, but the more beer I drink, the more I tend to go for porters over stouts.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Whew. Normally I don't like REALLY strong stouts that have an over-the-top bourbon flavor, but I think this was balanced quite well. Definitely a slow sipper. Unrelated, since I liked Dragon's Milk, but the more beer I drink, the more I tend to go for porters over stouts.

I like the live blogging aspect of this post. :thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:12 pm

I think this whole thread is one running live blog :lol:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Wed May 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Dragon's Milk is what really turned me on to barrel aged stouts. Like you said, well balanced.
I'm in the opposite direction as you. Definitely prefer stouts over porters most of the time.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 22, 2013 7:21 pm

MWB wrote:Dragon's Milk is what really turned me on to barrel aged stouts. Like you said, well balanced.
I'm in the opposite direction as you. Definitely prefer stouts over porters most of the time.

I'm not even sure if I can say I like porters more most of the time. I definitely have my favorites in both varieties. I would take a good oatmeal stout, for example, over a porter 9 times out of 10. Just depends.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 22, 2013 8:00 pm

So I got my Dogfishhead glasses in the mail and drank my Headhunter for the Pen's game from one. I wasn't a huge believer in the type of glass having an effect on the taste of the beer, but wow. It's aggressively hoppy and the glass really brought out a ton of floral tastes that I got from a normal glass, but much more from this glass, especially toward the end when the beer was only in the bottom part. Very very floral at that point. It's really nice.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Kraftster on Wed May 22, 2013 9:23 pm

It really is amazing what a difference a good glass can make.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Even though I have used one, still not sure about this idea:

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 pm

columbia wrote:Even though I have used one, still not sure about this idea:

Just make sure you rotate 90 degrees at the end if you are chugging...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kraftster on Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 am

Bit of a crisis. Have some moderate sinus congestion thanks to handling my daughter's ear drainage all weekend. Need to be clear nosed and tip top taste buds by Saturday for my D.C. beer extravaganza. Pumping myself with mucinex between now and then, perhaps a spicy meal or two to try to clear my nose out.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu May 23, 2013 8:47 am

Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Thu May 23, 2013 9:19 am

Kraftster wrote:Bit of a crisis. Have some moderate sinus congestion thanks to handling my daughter's ear drainage all weekend. Need to be clear nosed and tip top taste buds by Saturday for my D.C. beer extravaganza. Pumping myself with mucinex between now and then, perhaps a spicy meal or two to try to clear my nose out.

Neilmed. Took away my last sinus infection in 2 days. I've been pretty heavy promoting this thing, but only because I'm amazed at how well it works. you can get it at local pharmacy

http://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Bottles-Premixed/dp/B001HDRHR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369315016&sr=8-1&keywords=neilmed
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Michael Scott on Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 am

Neilmed works. Just make sure you used distilled water or boil your own. Do not use tap water.
Michael Scott
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Thu May 23, 2013 2:01 pm

MWB wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:Do you guys drink a lot of beer? Like how much a day or week. I like beer myself, but I can go for weeks without one. And I don't generally drink harder stuff, minus an occasional sex on a beach or some Kalhua or something like that. But no straight vodka or gin or any of the heavy stuff.

I have one beer 2 or 3 times during the week. Weekends, I usually have 2 beers or one 22 oz bottle. A lot of the beer I drink has ABV in the 7-10% range, so it's not nothing, but not enough to get me drunk. I have no desire to drink enough to be drunk.

Yeah, me too. When I drink now it's just to get a buzz but not get drunk drunk.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu May 23, 2013 2:03 pm

I drink mainly because I enjoy the taste of beer. Its fairly immaterial to me that it contains alcohol except to the extent that it adds to the flavor profile of the beer. I mainly drink on weekends, but if I have had a particularly long day at work and have a dinner that calls for it, I'll pick up a 22 oz bottle of something.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout. Certainly not the best oatmeal stout I've had (o hai Shakespeare/Sam Smith), but quite enjoyable. At 4.90%, it's another nice change from the super-strong imperials. Big fan of oatmeal stouts.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Founders Dirty Bastard is probably the best scotch ale I've had
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri May 24, 2013 9:23 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout. Certainly not the best oatmeal stout I've had (o hai Shakespeare/Sam Smith), but quite enjoyable. At 4.90%, it's another nice change from the super-strong imperials. Big fan of oatmeal stouts.

Speaking of Sam Smith, having the Organic Chocolate Stout. Very good. Vanilla notes. Finishes a bit thin, but smooth overall.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Fri May 24, 2013 10:17 pm

Finally tried Weyerbacher Seventeen tonight. Not a good saison. Perhaps call it a tripel (or heck an imperial tripel) and you might have something describing what you're going to get. 10.5% abv, way too high for a saison. No dryness in the finish. Tastes way more like Weyerbacher Merry Monks (tripel) than it does a basic saison.

High abv Weyerbacher stuff is way too boozy for me these days.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 pm

I don't even really consider Merry Monks a Trippel... it reminds me more of drinking a wine. I'm not fond of Weyerbacher as a whole though.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun May 26, 2013 10:24 am

Had a nice day trying beers yesterday in D.C. at Churchkey. Although they no longer had Fantome bottles, which was on the top of my list for yesterday going in, the list is amazing.

50 beers on tap. There I had the pleasure of enjoying an extremely hard to find Oxbow Farmhouse IPA. One of the best saisons I've ever had, slightly more hop presence than most. Also tried the Perennial Artisan Ales Aria Saison. Pretty nice, on the malty side a bit. Nice funk from Brett.

Out if the bottle, I went with the Anchorage Brewing Galaxy White IPA. Belgian IPA brewed with peppercorns and kumquats, conditioned with Brett. Pretty saison-like, pretty tremendous. One if the most carbonated beers I've ever had. Almost too much.
Also had the Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus (raspberry lambic). First bottle of Cantillon. Somehow only $20 for 12.7 oz, so couldn't pass it up. Perfect.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BadHands71 on Sun May 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Just picked up some Hoptimum yesterday. Looking forward to doing a side by side tasting with it, Hopslam, Alchemy Hour, and Nugget Nectar. :thumb:
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun May 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Had a new one today. Out of a microbrewery in Austin. It's called buckethead IPA (really). It's pretty hoppy, tastes like a double IPA to me. Good beer though.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

PreviousNext

Return to NHR