Vokoun will be the game changer.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby marek on Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:I don't think we can credit all of this to Tommy. The Isles leading goal scorer didnt even play tonight.

Fleury? He was on the bench I think.

Ouch!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun May 12, 2013 12:23 am

HOLLER IF YOU HEAR ME.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Sun May 12, 2013 12:24 am

Yeah, yeah, que no pare la fiesta
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Fri May 24, 2013 10:23 pm

:scared:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 pm

The Penguins are going to ride or die with Tommy V. If he continues this level of play (i.e., good enough to steal a game any given night), the Penguins will be damn near impossible to beat four times in seven games. Obviously a big 'if'.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Fri May 24, 2013 10:41 pm

6-1
1.85 GAA
.941 Save Pctg
Looks like TV should be in the Conn Smythe discussion.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Getting To My Game on Fri May 24, 2013 10:56 pm

pronovost19 wrote:6-1
1.85 GAA
.941 Save Pctg
Looks like TV should be in the Conn Smythe discussion.

If the Pens win the Cup, Tommy will win the Conn Smythe. Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal, Dupuis, the list is longer than Martin Luther's thesis will split the vote among themselves.

TOMMY! TOMMY!
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DropEmJayBird on Sat May 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Not to pour cold water on anything, but given how quickly this board turns on it's players when things don't go well.. but simply put - the Sens had no offense - none.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Sat May 25, 2013 2:46 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Not to pour cold water on anything, but given how quickly this board turns on it's players when things don't go well.. but simply put - the Sens had no offense - none.

I'm not really sure how you seem to think people quickly turn on our players. Most of the board didn't turn on Fleury until a couple weeks ago, when he was in the midst of his fourth consecutive playoff failure.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat May 25, 2013 3:32 pm

DropEmJayBird wrote:Not to pour cold water on anything, but given how quickly this board turns on it's players when things don't go well.. but simply put - the Sens had no offense - none.

If we were kids at a birthday party you would be the petulant child in the corner with his arms crossed. Fleury has had every chance in the world to prove himself over the last five years. He hasn't. Get over yourself.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat May 25, 2013 4:09 pm

nocera wrote:Pens Cup hopes begin and end with Fleury. Vokoun might get you a game, but definitely not to the championship.

He's well past a game. In fact he's won two series.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat May 25, 2013 4:17 pm

It's Vokoun's job to keep or lose at this point and it's insanity to think about a goalie change right now. I also don't think he's on a really short leash right now. He's doing a Chris Osgood by getting the job done and winning.

You can deal with what to do as far as MAF goes in the off-season. MTL faced this same kind of dilemma with Halak-Price and promptly traded Halak where he battles more injuries than he does pucks. Difference here is that TV isn't going to be a goaltender for the future due to age, no matter if he wins the SC. Doesn't matter at the moment...it's win the SC and worry about ego's and all other kinds of nonsense later.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sarcastic on Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 pm

2013 Playoffs.

MAF: SV% .891, GAA 3.41
TV: SV% .941, GAA 1.85
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Headshot77 on Sun May 26, 2013 12:59 am

It will be interesting to see Vokoun face a team that is actually capable of creating a serious net-front presence.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Sun May 26, 2013 7:59 am

Prior to Game 2 against the Senators, Shero was asked if it is hard to watch Fleury go through this.

"No," Shero said. "It's bigger than just one player. It's probably easier right now because Tomas has come in and played so well. That buys more time [for Fleury] to get his game in order, which I trust he will do. And that's the big thing we really haven't had in the past when Marc has had to go through some of these things."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2UOoLf32i
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 26, 2013 8:15 am

Headshot77 wrote:It will be interesting to see Vokoun face a team that is actually capable of creating a serious net-front presence.

It's their 4th line that seems to do the most damage in front of the net. Paille, Thornton, and Campbell is a pretty good 4th line! However, we're one of the few teams out there that can actually counter and match up well with our 4th line, whoever that may be.

I do think that Vokoun will be exposed a bit more against the Bruins, but I still think he can succeed.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Getting To My Game on Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am

Headshot77 wrote:It will be interesting to see Vokoun face a team that is actually capable of creating a serious net-front presence.

He's had to deal with crap defensive teams that couldn't clear the net his entire career and has thrived. He's a battler, he'll be fine.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby kovyfalcon27 on Sun May 26, 2013 11:29 am

Makes me shake me head when I hear people say, "I really hope MAF gets a chance to redeem himself these playoffs!!" Why??? In order for that happen that means either the Pens are getting destroyed by someone or Vokoun has completely gone in the crapper and we are probably gonna lose a series because of the games he's been terrible in. Why would anyone who's a Pens fan want either of those scenarios?? I like MAF too, but no, I do not "hope he gets a chance to redeem himself". I hope he rides the pine while Vokoun takes us to a cup win. He can redeem himself next year.
kovyfalcon27
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 26, 2013 11:48 am

Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 26, 2013 11:50 am

murphydump55 wrote:

It's their 4th line that seems to do the most damage in front of the net. Paille, Thornton, and Campbell is a pretty good 4th line! However, we're one of the few teams out there that can actually counter and match up well with our 4th line, whoever that may be.

I do think that Vokoun will be exposed a bit more against the Bruins, but I still think he can succeed.

Well, any goalie would find it difficult to play the Bruins. They're the second best team in the East and have some seriously good offense. I can't expect him to have same stats as he had during past 2 series. I will focus on how he plays and if he's giving the team a chance to win.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun May 26, 2013 11:53 am

Sarcastic wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Well, any goalie would find it difficult to play the Bruins. They're the second best team in the East and have some seriously good offense. I can't expect him to have same stats as he had during past 2 series. I will focus on how he plays and if he's giving the team a chance to win.

They made Lundquist look like a below average net minder.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Sarcastic on Sun May 26, 2013 11:54 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

They made Lundquist look like a below average net minder.

Yeah, I mean, I expect a close, tight, difficult series.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Sun May 26, 2013 11:56 am

murphydump55 wrote:

I didn't watch all of the Bruins/Rangers series, but from what I saw, man their 4th line was eating up the Rags.

I agree, i think Vokoun can still succeed. What a luxury the Pens have, to be able to turn to this backup. Like others, I wonder how a 36 year old goalie can hold up going forward in the playoffs. I guess a lockout shortened season, and not much wear and tear from prior playoffs, will definately help.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Sun May 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Steve wrote:I agree, i think Vokoun can still succeed. What a luxury the Pens have, to be able to turn to this backup. Like others, I wonder how a 36 year old goalie can hold up going forward in the playoffs. I guess a lockout shortened season, and not much wear and tear from prior playoffs, will definately help.

Fatty Tim Thomas won a SC at age 37.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Sun May 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

By seriously good offense, you mean in the bottom half of all the teams in the East in goals for?
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins