Terrie the smoker

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby meecrofilm on Mon May 20, 2013 2:06 pm

I find it annoying and mute it everytime it's on.

Much like the discover card commercial with the two black ladies.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,581
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Smoke up, Johnny!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,517
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Kaizer on Mon May 20, 2013 7:06 pm

meecrofilm wrote:I find it annoying and mute it everytime it's on.

Much like the discover card commercial with the two black ladies.


if that ***** says "machines" one more time i'll find her and cut off her head.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,399
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby She'sTheFastest on Mon May 20, 2013 9:32 pm

Smoking is much like gay marriage. It doesn't bother me. Just don't shove it in my face. "What Butters, you're gay?! Dude I don't care."
She'sTheFastest
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,501
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby npv708 on Mon May 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Never smoked, never will. Both my grandparents smoked and being around that when I was young was more than enough for it to be something I never had any desire to do.

I remember I was in like 8th/9th grade at FunFest (whatever it was named prior, I can't recall currently)...anyways, I was there with my gf at the time with a group and the one girl handed me her cig to hold while she bowled...I put it out. I was such an awesome buzzkill.

For me it comes down to a few things:
- I have enough health problems, I don't need to even risk anything more
- I don't have enough money and really could never justify the expense
- I really have trouble seeing any tangible benefits to smoking.
- I definitely do not enjoy the smell or general disregard it seems some smokers have for non-smokers.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,778
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby offsides on Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 pm

I started smoking in the 60's in the military. They actually gave me cigarettes in my field rations. They were a quarter a pack in a machine and they gave you back 3 pennys in the side of the pack. Carton of cigs was $2. Everybody smoked and were allowed to smoke everywhere. I also really enjoyed smoking. Things have really changed for the best. They got way to expensive and I quit about 15 years ago.

I also worked in a steel mill for 24 years, so between that and smoking I got COPD. Could be worse, but to me, that commercial is just stupid. You can get lung cancer and never had a smoke in your life.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,508
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Getting To My Game on Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 am

As a smoker, commercials like this will never get me to stop smoking. It's pointless, the government acts like smokers are unaware of the risks of cigarettes.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Getting To My Game on Fri May 24, 2013 12:07 am

She'sTheFastest wrote:Smoking is much like gay marriage. It doesn't bother me. Just don't shove it in my face. "What Butters, you're gay?! Dude I don't care."


Smokers are generally awesome people. I have met some of my closest friends sharing a cigarette or bumming a lighter. I don't think I've ever ran into a smoker who goes out of his way to blow smoke in people's faces are tries to convert others to the cult of nicotine. On the other hand, you'll have many blowhard non-smokers who go by one of the 3 designated smoking areas in this country and give an exagerrated cough from like 50 feet away. Those people can go to hell.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 24, 2013 7:53 am

I think I am more confused as to why they are so aggressively slamming this commercial down our throats during the NHL playoffs? I have not noticed it once on any other channel or during any other show. Are hockey fans a big smoking demographic or something?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,841
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby CERV96 on Fri May 24, 2013 7:55 am

I always thought more hockey players chewed than smoked. That's just the way it seemed on 24/7.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,665
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am
Location: It's poop again!

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 am

CERV96 wrote:I always thought more hockey players chewed than smoked. That's just the way it seemed on 24/7.


That's definitely the case, and the same with many professional athletes because it doesn't impact lung performance. It's just weird that they are running this commercial during NHL hockey with the same determination that insulin pump manufacturers advertise during Price is Right.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 57,841
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 24, 2013 8:30 am

Hey guys remember, click it or ticket. Heh heh heh. Such a good use of tax dollars.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,201
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 24, 2013 9:10 am

Getting To My Game wrote:Smokers are generally awesome people.


Getting To My Game wrote: On the other hand, you'll have many blowhard non-smokers who go by one of the 3 designated smoking areas in this country and give an exagerrated cough from like 50 feet away. Those people can go to hell.


Getting To My Game wrote:Smokers are generally awesome people.


if you say so
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Getting To My Game on Fri May 24, 2013 9:32 am

shmenguin wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:Smokers are generally awesome people.


Getting To My Game wrote: On the other hand, you'll have many blowhard non-smokers who go by one of the 3 designated smoking areas in this country and give an exagerrated cough from like 50 feet away. Those people can go to hell.


Getting To My Game wrote:Smokers are generally awesome people.


if you say so


Am I missing something? Non-smoking zealots who try to prevent smokers from enjoying something legal in peace suck. I don't go up to smoke 300 pound dude in McDonald's and chastise him for shoving a Big Mac down his gullet because it increases the healthcare burden on all of us.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby shmenguin on Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 am

just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,160
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Getting To My Game on Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 am

shmenguin wrote:just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.


Because people who don't mind their own business and try to make a statement about an entire group of people when they're doing something legal and non-bothersome are pretentious jackasses.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby JS© on Mon May 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
shmenguin wrote:just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.


Because people who don't mind their own business and try to make a statement about an entire group of people when they're doing something legal and non-bothersome are pretentious jackasses.


Or you have the self-righteous jerks who think society owes them a place to smoke and will make every point to say how society has screwed them over and taken away their rights. There's nothing more disgusting than trying to eat a meal and having some inconsiderate smoker not just light up, but move their cigarette away because they don't like the smell. Oh the **** irony.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,768
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby JS© on Mon May 27, 2013 12:06 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,768
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon May 27, 2013 12:32 pm

JS© wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
shmenguin wrote:just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.


Because people who don't mind their own business and try to make a statement about an entire group of people when they're doing something legal and non-bothersome are pretentious jackasses.


Or you have the self-righteous jerks who think society owes them a place to smoke and will make every point to say how society has screwed them over and taken away their rights. There's nothing more disgusting than trying to eat a meal and having some inconsiderate smoker not just light up, but move their cigarette away because they don't like the smell. Oh the **** irony.


Don't eat at places where smoking is allowed, get over it.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Crankshaft on Mon May 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Are you even allowed to smoke in a place that serves food anymore? I can't remember the last time I've been somewhere with a smoking section.

Although I do find it annoying when the smoking section is near an entrance so I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a place I'm going.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,547
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby columbia on Mon May 27, 2013 12:47 pm

I was in a restaurant last week with a smoking section....

The gov. mandated bans are BS: if a business loses customers because of smoking, that should be their choice.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,285
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon May 27, 2013 1:02 pm

columbia wrote:I was in a restaurant last week with a smoking section....

The gov. mandated bans are BS: if a business loses customers because of smoking, that should be their choice.


:thumb: :thumb:
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby JS© on Mon May 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Getting To My Game wrote:
JS© wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
shmenguin wrote:just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.


Because people who don't mind their own business and try to make a statement about an entire group of people when they're doing something legal and non-bothersome are pretentious jackasses.


Or you have the self-righteous jerks who think society owes them a place to smoke and will make every point to say how society has screwed them over and taken away their rights. There's nothing more disgusting than trying to eat a meal and having some inconsiderate smoker not just light up, but move their cigarette away because they don't like the smell. Oh the **** irony.


Don't eat at places where smoking is allowed, get over it.


Oh I'm sorry, next time I have somebody holding their **** stink stick in my face, should I say "Sir/Ma'am, please, hold that thing closer to my nose."

Get over yourself. Seriously.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,768
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby JS© on Mon May 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Are you even allowed to smoke in a place that serves food anymore? I can't remember the last time I've been somewhere with a smoking section.

Although I do find it annoying when the smoking section is near an entrance so I have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into a place I'm going.


The state recommends a 20 feet distance from the smoking area to the entrance....if possible.
http://foodexpo.parestaurant.org/displa ... clenbr=101

There are a number of places back home that still have it. I can think of two places right now and I could probably dig up another dozen or so if needed. What sucks is even with this Act in place that the owner(s) can apply for an exception.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,768
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:52 am
Location: hooray for me

Re: Terrie the smoker

Postby Getting To My Game on Mon May 27, 2013 5:03 pm

JS© wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
JS© wrote:
Getting To My Game wrote:
shmenguin wrote:just pointing out the irony of someone saying smokers are awesome people and then the same presumably awesome person quickly tells a group of people to go to hell.


Because people who don't mind their own business and try to make a statement about an entire group of people when they're doing something legal and non-bothersome are pretentious jackasses.


Or you have the self-righteous jerks who think society owes them a place to smoke and will make every point to say how society has screwed them over and taken away their rights. There's nothing more disgusting than trying to eat a meal and having some inconsiderate smoker not just light up, but move their cigarette away because they don't like the smell. Oh the **** irony.


Don't eat at places where smoking is allowed, get over it.


Oh I'm sorry, next time I have somebody holding their **** stink stick in my face, should I say "Sir/Ma'am, please, hold that thing closer to my nose."

Get over yourself. Seriously.


Dramatic much? How many friggin' times do smokers intentionally blow smoke in other people's faces to just be an ass? Almost never. It's a free country and we're adults allowed to have a cigarette if we want.
Getting To My Game
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Location: In Soviet Pittsburgh, contract extend you

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


e-mail