Where my fellow cooks at???

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby count2infinity on Sat May 18, 2013 6:50 pm

So I was on the golf course this morning thinking about what to make for dinner. Remembered we had dough in the freezer from the last time I made pizza, shrimp and adouille sausage, so I stopped and got some manchego cheese and made this tonight: grilled flatbread with cajun shrimp, andouille, manchego cheese, and topped it with a homemade spicy garlic aioli. Holy freaking crap was this good...

Spoiler:
Image
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,059
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 am

The weekend's adventures.

Saturday: Butter Poached Cod Basquaise, Tempranillo-Sherry Vinegar Reduction, Ramps
Image

Sunday: Salmon Mi-Cuit, Citrus Crème Fraîche, Charred Rapini, Puree of Ramp Greens, Pickled Ramp Ends
Image
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Sat May 25, 2013 12:33 pm

A boston butt just went in the oven with a salt, pepper, coffee, paprika, sage, taragon and thyme rub.
We shall see....sometime this evening.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,430
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Sat May 25, 2013 7:29 pm

Ok. that was ridiculously good.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,430
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Mon May 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Certainly sounds good. :thumb:

Been a grilleriffic weekend so far.... duck tacos for dinner yesterday, skirt steak for lunch today, porterhouses for dinner tonight. Pictures to follow once shenanigans have subsided.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Mon May 27, 2013 6:19 pm

Just to clarify on the "rub": I actually folded in some olive oil to make a paste. Then worked in pretty well and let it sit for a few hours, before going in the oven.
I have no idea if there is anything to it, but it seemed like that would help pull in the flavors more....either way, I will try that again.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,430
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:25 am

So I did more cooking in the past three days than I have done in any three-day period in probably two years. Lots of fun.

Spoiler:
Had friends over Sunday for a day of relaxation, swimming and gnoshing.

Duck Taco, Cherry-Ancho Sauce, Pickles
Image
Duck skins were removed and cut into 1/4" chunks then put in a small saucepan where the fat was rendered under low temp then the wick turned up and the little bits of skin were fried in their own fat. Drained on paper towels then run through with a couple passes of a knife and mixed with some thyme leaf and smoked sea salt to make a garnish powder. Duck breast was cooked ghetto sous video at 135°F/57°C for 90 minutes packaged with the strained rendered duck fat from the skin fry. Accoutrements included char-grilled sweet corn and pineapple, red onion and serrano chile pickles, cilantro and scallions, all topped with a cherry-ancho chile sauce that was waaaaay too sweet than I intended.

Then on Monday, I had picked up some red meat; Mrs Tif said she wanted steak at some point this weekend, and I aimed to deliver.

Pineapple Marinated Skirt Steak, Ramp Sauce, Citrus Crème Fraîche, Mango Salsa, Pickled Red Onions
Image
Decided to make use of some leftovers, so out came the citrus crème fraîche and ramp sauce from last week's salmon. Packaged the skirt with the trimmings of pineapple from Sunday's meal; piña has an enzyme that reacts with protein in a way similar to the way acid 'cooks' in a ceviche, so it makes a wonderful marinade base for tougher cuts of meat like skirt or brisket or even pork shoulder. Then just added some mango salsa and red onion pickles from Sunday's feastings to make a quick and tasty plated lunch.

For my own lunch, I decided to consume the skirt in taco form.

Pineapple Marinated Skirt Steak Taco, Ramp Sauce, Citrus Crème Fraîche, Mango Salsa, Pickled Red Onions, Kimchi
Image
Same accompaniments, plus store-bought kimchi.

For Monday night's dinner, I had picked up two porterhouses.

Moo Critter Tagliata with Seven-Flavor Chimichurri
Image
These were prepared about as simply as can be imagined; lots of salt, hot grill, flip every 20-25 seconds, remove when the temp says 120°F/49°C (about 8-10 minutes total cooking), rest for five minutes, slice, plate, eat. The chimichurri was made of rosemary, thyme, mint, parsley, garlic, scallion greens, lemongrass, mixed with red wine and sherry vinegars and Arbequina extra virgin olive oil from the Central Coast.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby BadHands71 on Tue May 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Copper River Salmon is in at the local grocery store. I love that stuff, it's expensive but it beats the crap out of any other salmon. Grilled with some cedar planks, lemon juice, salt and pepper... mmmmm. I love the simplicity of cooking with good ingredients. You don't need to do much to make stuff taste good.
BadHands71
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,010
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: In the kitchen...

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm

I cook all the time. I have no idea why I don't frequently this thread.

My next mission is to perfect tea brewing. Starting with quality leaves. Any tea drinkers here?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,931
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Im a giant fan of tea. Favorite part of summer is Sun Tea.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,874
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Official Friend of Mayor Peduto

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby mac5155 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 pm

My coworker is big into tea. I don't care for it.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,154
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Drink of choice...

Image
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,874
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Official Friend of Mayor Peduto

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby eddysnake on Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 am

tifosi77 wrote:So I did more cooking in the past three days than I have done in any three-day period in probably two years. Lots of fun.

Spoiler:
Had friends over Sunday for a day of relaxation, swimming and gnoshing.

Duck Taco, Cherry-Ancho Sauce, Pickles
Image
Duck skins were removed and cut into 1/4" chunks then put in a small saucepan where the fat was rendered under low temp then the wick turned up and the little bits of skin were fried in their own fat. Drained on paper towels then run through with a couple passes of a knife and mixed with some thyme leaf and smoked sea salt to make a garnish powder. Duck breast was cooked ghetto sous video at 135°F/57°C for 90 minutes packaged with the strained rendered duck fat from the skin fry. Accoutrements included char-grilled sweet corn and pineapple, red onion and serrano chile pickles, cilantro and scallions, all topped with a cherry-ancho chile sauce that was waaaaay too sweet than I intended.

Then on Monday, I had picked up some red meat; Mrs Tif said she wanted steak at some point this weekend, and I aimed to deliver.

Pineapple Marinated Skirt Steak, Ramp Sauce, Citrus Crème Fraîche, Mango Salsa, Pickled Red Onions
Image
Decided to make use of some leftovers, so out came the citrus crème fraîche and ramp sauce from last week's salmon. Packaged the skirt with the trimmings of pineapple from Sunday's meal; piña has an enzyme that reacts with protein in a way similar to the way acid 'cooks' in a ceviche, so it makes a wonderful marinade base for tougher cuts of meat like skirt or brisket or even pork shoulder. Then just added some mango salsa and red onion pickles from Sunday's feastings to make a quick and tasty plated lunch.

For my own lunch, I decided to consume the skirt in taco form.

Pineapple Marinated Skirt Steak Taco, Ramp Sauce, Citrus Crème Fraîche, Mango Salsa, Pickled Red Onions, Kimchi
Image
Same accompaniments, plus store-bought kimchi.

For Monday night's dinner, I had picked up two porterhouses.

Moo Critter Tagliata with Seven-Flavor Chimichurri
Image
These were prepared about as simply as can be imagined; lots of salt, hot grill, flip every 20-25 seconds, remove when the temp says 120°F/49°C (about 8-10 minutes total cooking), rest for five minutes, slice, plate, eat. The chimichurri was made of rosemary, thyme, mint, parsley, garlic, scallion greens, lemongrass, mixed with red wine and sherry vinegars and Arbequina extra virgin olive oil from the Central Coast.


those tacos look amazing. my folks just got back from a wine trip to France and went to Domaine des Hauts de Loire (Michelin 2 star) for dinner, I'll have to post some pictures, looks to be right up your alley in what you make
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,636
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: tool shed

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 am

My mother in law (who lives with us) is allergic to onions. I have only cooked with onions once in the past 18 months. It's hell....
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,931
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby blackjack68 on Wed May 29, 2013 1:26 pm

Cook with extra onions just one more time...problem solved.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,817
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeah...her leaving would be the problem. She's our live in nanny...

She gets terrible migraines if she even smells an onion. Cooking one in the house would cause her to be bed ridden for 3+ days. The one time I cooked the onion is when she was out of town for 10 days. I made pierogies.....awwww yeah
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,931
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed May 29, 2013 8:23 pm

House smells like bacon. Love it.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,931
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby Froggy on Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Image
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,992
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby count2infinity on Wed May 29, 2013 9:18 pm

tif is definitely 5 levels ahead of anyone in this thread. incredible looking stuff.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,059
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby tifosi77 on Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 am

PensFanInDC wrote:My mother in law (who lives with us) is allergic to onions. I have only cooked with onions once in the past 18 months. It's hell....

:shock:

I just wouldn't have the in-laws over for dinner. Seriously.... I couldn't do it. That's like saying "Don't cook with heat." Ceviche would get old really fast.

Froggy wrote:Image

:lol:

I guess you'll just have to trust me. :wink:

Flavor is the first, second and third consideration. Making it pretty and figuring out how to put it on the plate comes at the very end of the process of making a dish. I will, however, change a component out after an initial run with an idea because I couldn't figure out a good way of getting it on a plate. That could be as drastic as switching from a carrot puree to a ginger sauce, to changing from purple to green cabbage.

But that visual aspect is a fairly recent development for me. In the past, unless I was directly copying a plate that I had personally seen in the flesh or on TV my plating was pretty..... well, there's no other word for it; terrible. My Picasa food picture album is littered with crap from just two or three years ago. Things like a salmon filet that was portioned after it had been cooked and was hot.......... it looks like it was pulled apart, rather than cut. Some dishes look like I spilled the contents of a pot with food for a different meal onto the plate. Shoot, just look at my posting history in this thread to see the improvement.

A good friend of mine is a graphic designer and a massive foodist. And I've been asking him for tips on the visual look of dishes, what works and what doesn't when talking about how the eye sees things. So I've actually made more improvements in the last six months in that regard than in the thirteen years prior to that. (Which is when I started taking cooking seriously)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,473
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu May 30, 2013 12:38 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:My mother in law (who lives with us) is allergic to onions. I have only cooked with onions once in the past 18 months. It's hell....

:shock:

I just wouldn't have the in-laws over for dinner. Seriously.... I couldn't do it. That's like saying "Don't cook with heat." Ceviche would get old really fast.


Im guessing you missed the part where she is our live in nanny :D . Saves us day care costs every month. Totally worth it to not cook with onions.

I get by using onion powder (dehydrated onions does not affect her). It's not my optimal choice but it works for the flavor when needed. At least she isn't allergic to garlic. At that point Ill pay the $3,500 a month in day care.

I've been experimenting with eggs a lot recently. Baking eggs to be exact. Yesterday I tried baked eggacado. Slice an avocado in half, remove the pit, insert egg, bake at 350 until egg is desired doneness (for me that's over medium). Very tasty and high in protein and good fats.

I've also been making my breakfast the night before (I am NOT a morning person). 12 spot muffin tray, insert muffin cups, chop 2/3 cup spinach and 2/3 cup baby kale, add to cups, sprinkle on some sharp cheddar, drop in an egg (or in my case pour in some egg whites), bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cool to room temp before storing in fridge. Reheat for 2 minutes. Viola, high protein breakfast with lots of essential vitamins and minerals (plus tons of potassium!).
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 25,931
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby columbia on Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm

The eggcado is an interesting idea.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,430
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby blackjack68 on Thu May 30, 2013 1:02 pm

$3,500 a month in day care?!?!?!?!?!

Yikes.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,817
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 am
Location: formerly Pittsburgh, now NJ

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu May 30, 2013 1:10 pm

blackjack68 wrote:$3,500 a month in day care?!?!?!?!?!

Yikes.


Outside of the most outrageous places that cater to rich people, you can easily find day care places that are far cheaper than 3500. In the philly burbs, you can find nice ones for more like 1200-1500
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,863
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Where my fellow cooks at???

Postby eddysnake on Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
blackjack68 wrote:$3,500 a month in day care?!?!?!?!?!

Yikes.


Outside of the most outrageous places that cater to rich people, you can easily find day care places that are far cheaper than 3500. In the philly burbs, you can find nice ones for more like 1200-1500


bring em to my house, my wife watches the little buggers and its certainly not for 1200 a month (maybe we're doing something wrong)
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,636
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Location: tool shed

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


e-mail