Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 pm

So... in my research of old boxscores and such for Cs & As, and Game-winning and tying goals... I realized there are other tidbits of history I came across in the Press & P-G of the day that are worth sharing.

But, before I get to that point...

Noticed today that the Penguins are now less than 500 goals fewer scored than allowed in their history, at -499. (Actual goals, not shootout deciders for or against).They had peaked at -769 after the 89-90 season, had improved to -391 after 00-01, and bottomed out again -688 after the 05-06 season. 82-85 as a 3 season span saw them go -382 (-137, -136, -109), and only three seasons in the first 18 that they were a +: 74-75 (+37), 75-76 (+36), and 78-79 (+2). Since 1985, though, there have been only 6 seasons that were a minus: 88-89 (was -2), 89-90, 01-02, 02-03, 03-04, and 05-06. Total seasons = 23 + ones, 21 minus ones (not including current season). 11725 for, 12224 against (does include current season).
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:45 pm

An example is this 2-18-87 story by Gerry Dulac on Alain Lemieux's callup:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=zk ... 5%2C451778
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby canaan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:59 pm

I thought this was gonna be a thread about tangradi
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,073
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:02 pm

canaan wrote:I thought this was gonna be a thread about tangradi

lol, I've got little on ET other than he sits tied for 395th on the all time scoring list, already passed by Despres.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm

relantel wrote:
canaan wrote:I thought this was gonna be a thread about tangradi

lol, I've got little on ET other than he sits tied for 395th on the all time scoring list, already passed by Despres.


Bortuzzo has as many goals in 8 games as Tangradi has in 45.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,889
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:09 pm

relantel wrote:An example is this 2-18-87 story by Gerry Dulac on Alain Lemieux's callup:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=zk ... 5%2C451778


Also, Penguin Chris Kontos was single in 1987.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,812
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby BigMcK on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Alain Lemieux is soooooo gonna be upset by this thread's title.


(under the high performance auto ad's, there was a '71 Plymouth Barracuda listed for only $3,800. Guessing that would be worth some money today...)
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,196
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Manners are sexy

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby columbia on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
relantel wrote:
canaan wrote:I thought this was gonna be a thread about tangradi

lol, I've got little on ET other than he sits tied for 395th on the all time scoring list, already passed by Despres.


Bortuzzo has as many goals in 8 games as Tangradi has in 45.


Tangradi's just not getting enough time on the 3rd pairing with Engelland.
Give him a chance, bro.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,255
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:22 pm

If DB would just give him a chance and double shift him with Malkin and Crosby, I have no doubt that Tangradi would be able to surpass Bortuzzo's goal total for the year.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,365
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:12 am
Location: Disco is dead.

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 pm

another one is the recap from the 11-14-86 game at New Jersey - reads similar to the recap of the Pens home-opener of this season. It was on the heels of the Bullard-Quinn trade: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=fY ... 2C10237374 - This season started 7-0 and 8-1 but they finished 8 games under .500.

The Dave Molinari recap from the 11-13-86 issue notes:
It took just a few hours to purge the Civic Arena of tangible evidence Mike Bullard played hockey there.

His captaincy was given to Terry Ruskowski, his locker room cubicle to John Chabot, his spot in the lineup to Warren Young.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=fI ... %2C9478325

The P-G article on the Bullard/Quinn trade - http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Vd ... %2C4009838 - shows Lemieux first named an alternate captain, joining Moe Mantha. A fair amount of bad blood, it seems, between Bullard and Berry:
"I'm leaving here bitter," he [Bullard] said. "Bob should have at least had the sense to tell me I wasn't the captain. He also had my locker cleaned out and my mailbox closed and didn't tell me about that either."
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:58 pm

canaan wrote:I thought this was gonna be a thread about tangradi


Well played, Sir. Very well played.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,020
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: The Onyx Club

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I did a quick calc today. Based on Mario's goals per game and assists per game each season, times number of games missed, in the aggregate, turns into 709 points (in 467 games missed), and that doesn't include the 94-95 and 97-00 seasons that he sat out completely. 92/93's per game totals would have been a 224 point season. Hypotheticals, of course.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:01 pm

relantel wrote:I did a quick calc today. Based on Mario's goals per game and assists per game each season, times number of games missed, in the aggregate, turns into 709 points (in 467 games missed), and that doesn't include the 94-95 and 97-00 seasons that he sat out completely. 92/93's per game totals would have been a 224 point season. Hypotheticals, of course.


So you're saying Mario, if he were healthy, should actually have 2432 points and be 2nd to Gretzky?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,889
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
relantel wrote:I did a quick calc today. Based on Mario's goals per game and assists per game each season, times number of games missed, in the aggregate, turns into 709 points (in 467 games missed), and that doesn't include the 94-95 and 97-00 seasons that he sat out completely. 92/93's per game totals would have been a 224 point season. Hypotheticals, of course.


So you're saying Mario, if he were healthy, should actually have 2432 points and be 2nd to Gretzky?

2417 using an integer calc (round down iso round up, in the raw goal and assist columns iso the point column as my original quick-calc). 709 additional was raw.

Throw in the missed seasons, say at the per game totals of the following season, and you'd add in even more (i.e. the 48 game season of 94/95 if healthy, based on 95/96 totals, would have been 111 points). Just a fun thing to try and ascertain. This method might suggest 2968 for a total if the sat-out seasons are included that way. And 04/05 is ignored since no league games were played. Though I ought to run it to ignore seasons where less than 5-6 games were missed. This would knock off 35 points from the 2422 total. The sat-out seasons are tough, since there is no like basis like the played seasons have. So in the end, I probably would not include those four seasons. Without those four sat-out seasons, the breakdown would be 941g, 1476a (differences in rounding are the integer value of the goals and assists, which probably I should have done originally, instead of the sum of goals + assists unrounded - this would be 2417.

The clear conclusion, though, and the career points per game already says this, is Lemieux is clear cut #2, and the only one in Gretzky's neighborhood. Both are the only ones to avergae over an assist per game. The comeback seasons, though, killed the old 2.005 point per game average from 84-97, and dropped him below Gretzky's 1.92 - the 36 games in 03-04 and 05-06 did the trick. The career 1.883 multiplied by Gretzky's games played total (1487) would be 2800 points. I think Lemieux trails only Bossy in career average goals per game - .761 for Bossy to .754 for Lemieux. Bossy is 1.49ppg, 3rd all time, with Crosby edging out Orr right now. Malkin sits in 11th, just ahead of Jagr and Ovechkin. Geno is 6/1000 behind Dionne, but only 5/1000 ahead of Jagr and 6/1000 ahead of Ovechkin.

Now, though, you see why my thread title was useless. Because all of it means nothing!
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby Gsnyder58 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm

As an out of town Pens fan Born in 89, I love this type of discussion.
Gsnyder58
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 am
Location: Frederick MD

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby Azkar on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:18 am

NPR, but who are the highest-scoring pair of NHL brothers?

Spoiler:
The Gretzkys. Wayne: 2,857 points; Brent: 4 points.
Azkar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,425
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 pm
Location: PFISEA

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 am

Azkar wrote:NPR, but who are the highest-scoring pair of NHL brothers?

Spoiler:
The Gretzkys. Wayne: 2,857 points; Brent: 4 points.

:thumb:

Turn it PR - who are the highest scoring Brothers on the Penguins all-time list?
Spoiler:
(trick question)
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby DelPen on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:09 pm

Penguins family relations:

Brothers:
Alain & Mario Lemieux
Doug & Greg Brown
Chris & Peter Ferraro
Kip & Kevin Miller

Father-Son:
Wayne & Alex Hicks
Bob & Brent Johnson
Greg & Ryan Malone
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,359
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 am

Smallest home crowd to witness a Penguin win...*

was in 68-69, a crowd of less than 3000. Christmas day in 1968, a 6-3 win over the Red Wings, with goals by Pronovost, Burns, McCreary (2), Schinkel, and Angotti. McCreary's second was the winning goal. Attendance was 2420. It was only the 7th win of the season. Capacity in 1968-69 was published as 12580.

Honarable mention, same season:
3506 11-21-68 vs Oakland, Leo Boivin with the winning goal.

*I don't have attendance game by game for 1980-84 range, so it is possible there was a smaller crowd later.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby bh on Wed May 29, 2013 11:42 am

DelPen wrote:Penguins family relations:

Brothers:
Alain & Mario Lemieux
Doug & Greg Brown
Chris & Peter Ferraro
Kip & Kevin Miller

Father-Son:
Wayne & Alex Hicks
Bob & Brent Johnson
Greg & Ryan Malone

What about those Fata's. Did Rico's younger brother ever get called up for a game?
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,511
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby Beveridge on Wed May 29, 2013 11:43 am

relantel wrote:Smallest home crowd to witness a Penguin win...*

was in 68-69, a crowd of less than 3000. Christmas day in 1968, a 6-3 win over the Red Wings, with goals by Pronovost, Burns, McCreary (2), Schinkel, and Angotti. McCreary's second was the winning goal. Attendance was 2420. It was only the 7th win of the season. Capacity in 1968-69 was published as 12580.

Honarable mention, same season:
3506 11-21-68 vs Oakland, Leo Boivin with the winning goal.

*I don't have attendance game by game for 1980-84 range, so it is possible there was a smaller crowd later.


I bet even that crowd was louder than the sellouts now. :slug:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,834
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Wed May 29, 2013 11:51 am

bh wrote:What about those Fata's. Did Rico's younger brother ever get called up for a game?

Nope, don't think Drew ever came up from WBS.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 29, 2013 11:57 am

relantel wrote:
bh wrote:What about those Fata's. Did Rico's younger brother ever get called up for a game?

Nope, don't think Drew ever came up from WBS.


He did get a few NHL games though, didn't he?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,513
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
relantel wrote:
bh wrote:What about those Fata's. Did Rico's younger brother ever get called up for a game?

Nope, don't think Drew ever came up from WBS.


He did get a few NHL games though, didn't he?

8 with the Islanders over two seasons, scoring a goal and an assist.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Re: Useless Penguin Trivia thread

Postby relantel on Wed May 29, 2013 12:22 pm

First SH goal in team history...

Spoiler:
Earl Ingarfield, in the team's 2nd game, the third goal in a 3-1 win, the first win in team history


Speaking of SHGs, I've got the date list completed about 97% - missing dates for a couple of Pronovost shorties (have 12, missing 2), Dan Quinn (have 2 missing 2), Vic Hadfield (have 2 missing 2), John Chabot (have 2, missing 1), and missing the sole date for Craig Simpson, Barry Wilkins, Dunc McCallum and Ab McDonald. The last two ought to have been the first season, but the only SHG I came up with for that season was in the spoiler.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,351
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DesertPenguin, dodint, pcm, Penspal, Scate and 13 guests


e-mail