Vokoun will be the game changer.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Vokoun will be the game changer.

Postby DelPen on Thu May 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Sarcastic wrote:So when Fleury freaks out so does the rest of the team and then it all goes to hell. Thanks for the explanation, Nisky.

:fist:

Probably some truth to that, Fleury does not handle bad goals well at all and panics. The team needs to clamp up and protect him and then it takes us off our game. There is no reason to change how you play because of fluke goals yet this team did that a lot when Fleury gave them up and then we lose bad.

Vokoun let up a couple not so good goals but the team just went and played their game because they knew he wasn't going to freak out and get down on himself like Fleury does.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby headh on Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Vokoun is a pro

Fleury is a really talented flake
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Thu May 30, 2013 4:57 pm

When he was a free agent I was really concerned he would go to the Flyers. (and then he goes to the Caps :face: ) - anyway, it worked out great, and I was really happy when we acquired him last summer, and even more so now obviously.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby SolidSnake on Fri May 31, 2013 11:05 am

The Pens should still try exploring in trading Fleury this offseason, the only notable goalies FA's this coming offseason are Backstrom and Smith with Nabakov as an notable exception. No matter what the Pens do, if they stay with Vokoun the rest of the playoffs then Fleury's feelings will be hurt and the ice cream has melted there is no going back so you might as well get what you can for Fleury.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 11:18 am

i know everyone is looking up to Vokoun and we should be. However, personally, I don't think he is a world class elite goalie. Even though I'm anti-fluery and realistically speaking the thing about Koun is that he is a consistent goalie and really doesn't have the stopping power as the other 3 goalies in the semi-finals. The Pens D really did not let the opposing team take sharp shots against him, take a look at amount of the blocked shots per game by the Pens. I'm not saying Koun did not make some great saves, however, when you compare the level of shots and the saves the other goalies made, you know. In the end, Vokoun is our savior and the best 'back-up' goalie the Pens wished for. I'm really crossing my fingers that Pens D will come strong and Koun will not let any weak shots in.

Let's go Pens!
nhl94

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 31, 2013 11:19 am

Such a simple username, yet so powerful.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri May 31, 2013 11:21 am

nhl94 wrote:i know everyone is looking up to Vokoun and we should be. However, personally, I don't think he is a world class elite goalie. Even though I'm anti-fluery and realistically speaking the thing about Koun is that he is a consistent goalie and really doesn't have the stopping power as the other 3 goalies in the semi-finals. The Pens D really did not let the opposing team take sharp shots against him, take a look at amount of the blocked shots per game by the Pens. I'm not saying Koun did not make some great saves, however, when you compare the level of shots and the saves the other goalies made, you know. In the end, Vokoun is our savior and the best 'back-up' goalie the Pens wished for. I'm really crossing my fingers that Pens D will come strong and Koun will not let any weak shots in.

Let's go Pens!

Lets look at blocked shots for the Rangers.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 am

nhl94 wrote:i know everyone is looking up to Vokoun and we should be. However, personally, I don't think he is a world class elite goalie. Even though I'm anti-fluery and realistically speaking the thing about Koun is that he is a consistent goalie and really doesn't have the stopping power as the other 3 goalies in the semi-finals. The Pens D really did not let the opposing team take sharp shots against him, take a look at amount of the blocked shots per game by the Pens. I'm not saying Koun did not make some great saves, however, when you compare the level of shots and the saves the other goalies made, you know. In the end, Vokoun is our savior and the best 'back-up' goalie the Pens wished for. I'm really crossing my fingers that Pens D will come strong and Koun will not let any weak shots in.

Let's go Pens!

I don't see the reason for everyone to continuously discredit a goaltender that has performed at elite levels his entire career.
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby headh on Fri May 31, 2013 11:31 am

Let's go Pens!

In your opinion how many world class elite goalies currently play in the NHL and who are they?
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am

thepittman wrote:

Let's go Pens!

I don't see the reason for everyone to continuously discredit a goaltender that has performed at elite levels his entire career.

My intention was not to discredit Vokoun at all, if anyone I want to discredit is Fluery and I felt that years back. Didn't want anyone to lose hope, just non-subjectively stating how our goalies compared to the other teams fighting for the cup right now, and the franchise outlook will be looking to train a younger goalie. Vokoun might look like our GOD right now, but don't forget our D fought hard as well to keep us alive. Fleury failed even accepting weak shots, thus loosing our confidence as a team.
nhl94

Postby nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 11:39 am

headh wrote:

Let's go Pens!

In your opinion how many world class elite goalies currently play in the NHL and who are they?

the series between kings and sharks was a battle of the goalies, take a look at he GAA...
nhl94

Postby no name on Fri May 31, 2013 11:45 am

Let's go Pens!

Very well said, Vokoun will be as strong as the bluelines play infront of him. He sure beats the heck out of how Fleury was playing. He is a great goalie and brings his game night in night out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Fri May 31, 2013 11:47 am

nhl94 wrote:
headh wrote:

Let's go Pens!

the series between kings and sharks was a battle of the goalies, take a look at he GAA...

Two? Are you saying there are two world class elite goalies in the NHL? Do the style of play of their respective teams play any part in their GAA? In your opinion.
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

The Pens don't need their goalie to be world class. They score plenty, they just need their goalie to be good enough to ensure that 3-4 goals is enough to win. LA's a different story, they don't have a big offense so it's vital to them that Quick is outstanding. I agree that Vokoun is not necessarily an elite goalie but he's always been very good and he's proving to be plenty good behind the Pens juggernaut offense.

On that note, the Kings don't scare me much should the Pens meet them in the Finals. The Pens just made Anderson look ordinary, I think they'd do the same to Quick.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby headh on Fri May 31, 2013 11:59 am

Henry Hank wrote:The Pens don't need their goalie to be world class. They score plenty, they just need their goalie to be good enough to ensure that 3-4 goals is enough to win. LA's a different story, they don't have a big offense so it's vital to them that Quick is outstanding. I agree that Vokoun is not necessarily an elite goalie but he's always been very good and he's proving to be plenty good behind the Pens juggernaut offense.

On that note, the Kings don't scare me much should the Pens meet them in the Finals. The Pens just made Anderson look ordinary, I think they'd do the same to Quick.

IMO a Penguins goalie will never appear to be world class due to their style of play
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 12:24 pm

headh wrote:
nhl94 wrote:
headh wrote:

Let's go Pens!

Two? Are you saying there are two world class elite goalies in the NHL? Do the style of play of their respective teams play any part in their GAA? In your opinion.

that was just an example of two solid monster goalies that we never had. they were rock-solidly consistent and def took a beating of shots. Do you think anyone of our goalies could of done better than those two? And I wouldn't use the Pens offensive power to compare how other goalies do against us, that's not an average comparison at all.
nhl94

Postby Steve on Fri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Vokoun article after the trade last June, good re-read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1208 ... pittsburgh
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby headh on Fri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm

I think we have two starting goalies both capable of winning a cup
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:06 pm

Steve wrote:Vokoun article after the trade last June, good re-read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1208 ... pittsburgh

great read and insight, thanks!
nhl94

Postby nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:07 pm

headh wrote:I think we have two starting goalies both capable of winning a cup

nhl94 wrote:I think we have ONE starting goalie capable of winning a cup
nhl94

Postby headh on Fri May 31, 2013 3:15 pm

nhl94 wrote:

well MAF already has won one and Vokoun may be better
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:19 pm

headh wrote:
nhl94 wrote:

well MAF already has won one and Vokoun may be better

a player winning a cup doesn't mean he deserved it. fleury by all means was not even close to being the top goalie that year, he was just avg if anything. Pens held him up as usual...
Last edited by nhl94 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhl94

Postby largegarlic on Fri May 31, 2013 3:23 pm

In another thread, someone mentioned an article by Mike Colligan that breaks down what the Pens need to do to be successful against the Bruins. I looked around and couldn't find that, but I did find this article of his on the Hartzell signing back in April:

http://thehockeywriters.com/eric-hartzell-signs-penguins/

The gist of it is that he hypothesizes that the only way the Hartzell signing makes sense from the Pens point of view or Hartzell's is if the Pens' management sees the goalie situation as much less settled than most people think. Colligan wonders if the Hartzell signing was already to move to make it possible to ditch Fleury in the off-season and go with a Vokoun/Hartzell or Vokoun/Zatkoff tandem at least for the next year or two. Not really anything that people haven't speculated about already, but I thought it was a well-thought-out version of this viewpoint and fairly prescient, given that it was written before the playoffs.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf66 on Fri May 31, 2013 3:31 pm

[/quote]

a player winning a cup doesn't mean he deserved it. fleury by all means was not even close to being the top goalie that year, he was just avg if anything. Pens held him up as usual...[/quote]

Game 7 at Washington 6-1

Game 6 vs Detroit 2-1

Game 7 at Detroit 2-1

Was very good when it counted the most.

The $7 million we are spending on the our goaltending is a great bargain. Ride it through next season. You cannot give up on Fleury at 28.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby headh on Fri May 31, 2013 3:46 pm

largegarlic wrote:In another thread, someone mentioned an article by Mike Colligan that breaks down what the Pens need to do to be successful against the Bruins. I looked around and couldn't find that, but I did find this article of his on the Hartzell signing back in April:

http://thehockeywriters.com/eric-hartzell-signs-penguins/

The gist of it is that he hypothesizes that the only way the Hartzell signing makes sense from the Pens point of view or Hartzell's is if the Pens' management sees the goalie situation as much less settled than most people think. Colligan wonders if the Hartzell signing was already to move to make it possible to ditch Fleury in the off-season and go with a Vokoun/Hartzell or Vokoun/Zatkoff tandem at least for the next year or two. Not really anything that people haven't speculated about already, but I thought it was a well-thought-out version of this viewpoint and fairly prescient, given that it was written before the playoffs.

http://thehockeywriters.com/penguins-br ... breakdown/
headh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins