Will we see any lineup changes for Monday night?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Will we see any lineup changes for Monday night?

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am

the teams will be within 10% of each other on faceoffs by the end of the series. it's not a big concern.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby joker10277 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

I'd sit nisky, he's been garbage for a while, eaton hasn't been great either. I'd give bortuzzo and depres a shot.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:50 am

Drastic lineup changes or a goalie switch would come off as a panic move. The Pens played average but probably still should have won the game with a little luck. If they don't hit 4 or 5 posts they probably win the game.

Playoff hockey is probably 70% skill and 30% luck/bounces. These games get decided by bounces off skates, horrible deflections, posts, etc.

Just ask the Islanders, the team that plays best doesn't always win. On Saturday we played better but lost. Once we got down big in the 3rd everything went out the window but we controlled that game we just couldn't finish.

Only changes I could imagine would be Engel or Despres back in the lineup in place of Eaton and maybe finding a spot for Vitale (faceoffs).

Unlike the Isles series there is nothing that went down in game 1 that makes you think you need to alter your systems or strategy. The Bruins did nothing that should force us to adjust. We didnt get a single bounce, we hit 4 or 5 posts, two of their goals were somewhat lucky, their goalie made some great saves, etc....We were not overwhelmed in any aspect other than faceoffs. Change for the sake of change isn't going to help guys finish. If we were out-muscled or seemed like the slower team, etc...then you make changes. But that's not what happened in game 1.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nhl94 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 am

How about Despres for Niskanen and giving Jeffrey a try for his first playoff game? Jeff got a decent scoring %...or do you think its a big gamble?
Last edited by nhl94 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhl94

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:56 am

According to various tweets, JJ still in. TK bumped to 4th line in favor for Morrow on the 3rd.

I'd rather TK be on the third...
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:58 am

Kennedy might Abe able to spark jussi a little though.

I think jussi looks hurt out there.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 am

Why would they move Kennedy to the 4th? rather than out of the lineup/roster/NHL

I don't think any major changes need made, I guess thats why they just flipped 3rd and 4th liners.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 am

Morrow deserves more playing time. And maybe DB is thinking of matching Morrow-Sutter-Cooke up against Krejci's line, seeing as they scorched us on saturday.

And while I think Kennedy plays best from the 4th ine, what kind of line is Adams-Jokinen-Kennedy? Would rather have Vitale in there for Jokinen... or Adams or Kennedy, truth be told.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:06 am

The U wrote:Drastic lineup changes or a goalie switch would come off as a panic move. The Pens played average but probably still should have won the game with a little luck. If they don't hit 4 or 5 posts they probably win the game.

Playoff hockey is probably 70% skill and 30% luck/bounces. These games get decided by bounces off skates, horrible deflections, posts, etc.

Just ask the Islanders, the team that plays best doesn't always win. On Saturday we played better but lost. Once we got down big in the 3rd everything went out the window but we controlled that game we just couldn't finish.

Only changes I could imagine would be Engel or Despres back in the lineup in place of Eaton and maybe finding a spot for Vitale (faceoffs).

Unlike the Isles series there is nothing that went down in game 1 that makes you think you need to alter your systems or strategy. The Bruins did nothing that should force us to adjust. We didnt get a single bounce, we hit 4 or 5 posts, two of their goals were somewhat lucky, their goalie made some great saves, etc....We were not overwhelmed in any aspect other than faceoffs. Change for the sake of change isn't going to help guys finish. If we were out-muscled or seemed like the slower team, etc...then you make changes. But that's not what happened in game 1.

It's funny, while this is all true, I still think half the team played like crap. Crosby, Kunitz, Kennedy, Iginla, Sutter, Eaton, Niskanen, Murray... They were all pretty terrible. Which means, that if this team plays well collectively, hopefully the Bruins don't stand a chance.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:12 am

joker10277 wrote:I'd sit nisky, he's been garbage for a while, eaton hasn't been great either. I'd give bortuzzo and depres a shot.

:shock:

What makes you think Bortuzzo and Despres are upgrades over those 2? Do you want our 1st and 2nd pairing to play the entire game?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am

kennedy's better when he's not with sutter, so he should be on the 4th.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:27 am

llipgh2 wrote:According to various tweets, JJ still in. TK bumped to 4th line in favor for Morrow on the 3rd.

I'd rather TK be on the third...

I disagree. I'm not a TK fan and was happy to see him benched earlier in the playoffs. I was very impressed with what he brought to the fourth line and am happy to see him return there. His speed will be a welcomed addition to a slow combo of Jokinen and Adams, and his propensity to shoot could create some rebound opportunities for Jokinen. Morrow on the third line just makes too much sense to ignore.

As for a change I would like, how about Vitale in for Sutter?

Morrow-Jokinen-Cooke
Adams-Vitale-Kennedy

PKers: Dupuis, Cooke, Adams, Jokinen, Morrow, Vitale

Vitale brings speed to the fourth line and adds faceoff skills.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 am

MRandall25 wrote:
joker10277 wrote:I'd sit nisky, he's been garbage for a while, eaton hasn't been great either. I'd give bortuzzo and depres a shot.

What makes you think Bortuzzo and Despres are upgrades over those 2? Do you want our 1st and 2nd pairing to play the entire game?

I think there are 8 defenders I want before Bortuzzo. Hard to find protected minutes for 47, unless you think his pinches would be better than 2. He will turn the puck over more than 2, however, so don't see how thats any upgrade.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 am

If you're going to bench Sutter, you might as well bench Adams instead. Unfortunately, Sutter is looking like a 24 year old version of Adams this postseason.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:47 am

pcm wrote:If you're going to bench Sutter, you might as well bench Adams instead. Unfortunately, Sutter is looking like a 24 year old version of Adams this postseason.

Meh. Sutter has been playing poorly and isn't bringing much to the table right now. Adams, on the other hand, has continued to play at 110% every shift. He might not be as good as Sutter, but he has been working harder. I'd rather keep Adams in and, if necessary, substitute Vitale in for Sutter, if only temporarily.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:50 am

Dejan Kovacevic ‏@Dejan_Kovacevic 21m

One of the cameramen here accidentally bonked Kunitz in head with camera -- hard -- but Kunitz fine. Team really ticked at whoever it was.

Hang in there kooonnn! :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joker10277 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:55 am

MRandall25 wrote:

Bortuzzo gives them a more physical presence around the net and despres can skate the puck out of danger unlike Eaton, don't know if they're and upgrade, but I don't know if they can be any worse than Eaton and Nisky.
As far as the 1st and 2nd pairing playing the whole game, no but they need to be more responsible as a team in their own end. Letang was on for the 3 on 1 and 2 on 0 last game in addition to being on for two goals against.
I think the 2 on 0 was also on the PP, so they need to be smarter as a team with the puck. Letang, crosby, neal and iginla were all -2, that's not good enough from those guys.
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 am

If the Pens struggle against Rask again tonight, I'd hope Blysma would use his roster to add some offensive depth. I'd like to see:

Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett <-very effective against bottom pairings
Cooke-Vitale-Kennedy <-buzz line
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:59 am

shmenguin wrote:kennedy's better when he's not with sutter, so he should be on the 4th.

:thumb:

Kennedy to the 4th line, Iggy on the point. If Niskanen plays poorly again, I'd consider Despres or Bortuzzo for him. The Bruins have rookies on D, so I'm not sure why dressing one of those guys would be a big deal.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 pm

i like bringing bennett in with morrow they have chemistry
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm

The U wrote:Drastic lineup changes or a goalie switch would come off as a panic move. The Pens played average but probably still should have won the game with a little luck. If they don't hit 4 or 5 posts they probably win the game.

Agree on most of your points but I will point out most of our chances came on the PP and we gave up a ton of odd man breaks and a few breakaways/almost breakaways.

With a game under their belts expect the Bruins to be more aggressive in transition, to attack Eaton/Nisky and to continue boxing out/lane collapsing in their zone even strength.

We played well but not this great overall game everyone thinks. For every post we gave up an odd man break. For every close play there was one maybe not as close but similar the other way like the breakaway.

We need to anticipate their adjustments which I assume will be what I said above, maybe even more of a passive trap until they can play transition. If we do and can get all lines buying into playing a bit more dirty in the offensive zone as well as limit our d zone coverage mistakes we will be fine.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:18 pm

taz71 wrote:i like bringing bennett in with morrow they have chemistry

I like Bennett's speed. The Bruins would likely hate Bennett's speed. So I'm in agreement. He provides an element on the lower lines that they are lacking, and he could add some spark in this series.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PAPLine on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:21 pm

I don't think I'd change too much to the line-up. The Pens just looked like they came back for a week long vacation. The timing just wasn't there. They did have several good chances but either didn't get the shot off or the B's defense blocked it. I don't know what the stats were, but it didn't seem like we won more that 20% of the draws. Maybe Vitale could help there. The other thing we need to bring tonight is our heads. We have to play our game, and not let the B's make us play their game. When the only time you notice Crosby and Malkin is when they are mixing it up, you know we aren't playing our game. Except for maybe Engeland, and I really mean maybe, I don't think any of the defensemen who didn't play Saturday would be much of an upgrade.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby offsides on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm

From the Pens site, only one change:

"Everyone was accounted for at the morning skate. Only line adjustment was flipping Morrow and Kennedy."

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Cooke
Adams-Jokinen-Kennedy

Orpik-Martin
Niskanen-Murray
Eaton-Letang
Engelland-Bortuzzo/Despres

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=672748
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 2m

NEWS ALERT: #Pens have recalled G Jeff Zatkoff from @WBSPenguins. He was team MVP during reg season after going 26-20 http://pens.pe/19CsyEw

INsurance in the net. :shock: 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins