'13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: '13 Playoffs Game 2 vs Bos - Thoughts from the Morning A

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 am

Recipe for a game 4 win.

- Sid has to fix defensive coverage mentality (Geno fixed his turnover issues)
- Score first or at least 2nd. Don't let the Bruins get up by 2
- Play closer together, support the puck carrier
- Letang should not pinch
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

Letang pinches loaves.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

you'd have more luck getting him to cut his hair then getting him to stop pinching
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:00 am

-Man,wouldn't it be nice if the Penguins bothered to show up for this series?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:01 am

Penspal wrote:Recipe for a game 4 win.

What's the recipe for a game 3 win?
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:04 am

71Aj66ax87 wrote:

Just like in a Christmas Story he skipped the dog dares and went straight to the point. We lose game three obviously.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 am

shmenguin wrote:you'd have more luck getting him to cut his hair then getting him to stop pinching

Pairing him with Despres usually keeps him in check on defense
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf66 on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:08 am

There was some talk before the playoffs that HCDBs job was safe regardless of the outcome. However this was before his GM was just interviewed about his deadline deals and siad in essence, we felt that that we would end up playing Boston so I made specific acquisitons to put us in the best position to beat Boston. Then his custom Boston-beaters go out and crap the bed 1-9 at home through two home games. Dan may have survived a first round loss, but will he survive making his GM look this foolish?

This game turned into our team trying to do everything themselves. Each one of them trying to make up for the 0-3 hole that #58 put them in. On the first goal, he did not pinch because he saw Sid was backing him up, he pinched and then Sid backed him up. It was a stupid, selfish and immatue thing to do. At this point, he does not posses the mental make up to calm things down, instead he doubles down, I will do even more! Goal 2, end of the powerplay, clear the puck?, nope. I am going to hit the man coming out of the box for a highlight reel assist. This man, Brooks Orpik, classic high risk / almost no chance for reward play. Goal 3, he was pinching all the way down to the corner when the 3-2 started. His amazing skating ability put him in the picture as the goal was being scored.

Morrow and COoke are playing well. They get it, if there is not a play to be made on the rushm get it behind the net and invest. It frustrates me that Sid just wants to fling the puck at Rask with no traffic.

When exactly did this team stop tructing one another.

GMRS will let the dust settle and figure out who his core really is, and start a youth movement around them.

It also frustrates me to see the contributions that rookies and second year players make in the playoffs and 19 / 47 can't be trusted.
topshelf66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 am

i think bylsma is still safe. even though we're down 2-0, the team played fine in game 1 and i think last night's bed crapping was somewhat circumstantial.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:13 am

We just need to look at tapes of March, that is when we played hockey, "Our Way." We haven't played that way since a week or two before the regular season ended. That is how this team wins games: defensive responsibility, offensive opportunism and playing as a team. We can't forget our own end and try to outscore teams, we need to limit the other teams scoring, and our scoring will come. We shouldn't have to press the issue.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:28 am

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:you'd have more luck getting him to cut his hair then getting him to stop pinching

Pairing him with Despres usually keeps him in check on defense

:scared: Blasphemous! He's too young! He hasn't played long enough! He's not a veteran! Screw his talent! Screw Letang's performance when they are together! None of it matters because he hasn't played enough games in the NHL yet! How can he play enough games in the NHL when you don't let him play games in the NHL, you ask? Stop asking questions! No room for young talent when you have over the hill vets like Mark Eaton and cagey ECHL veterans like Deryk Engelland. And just look at all those old guys in WBS that could be used before a talented young player! This team needs more scrubs!
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:28 am

Blysma better break up 14-87-9, if for no other reason than to send Sid a wake up call. He's been beyond terrible, and I fault him above all else (even Blysma) for the Pens being down 2-0 right now.

Leaders gotta lead.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby TrueNorth on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 am

Penspal wrote:Misread the team tweet this morning

#Pens Coach Dan Bylsma mum on who his starting goalie in Game 3 will be - 9 hours ago

I read it that HCDB's Mom was going to be the starter for game 3 ;)

Hey, desperate times call for drastic measures. Maybe mom in goal is a bit of a stretch, but moms to the rescue may not be such a bad idea. Hugs all around, wipe away the tears, kiss the boo-boos better, a pat on the bum and send them back into the fray...or, alternatively, a not-so-friendly meeting behind the woodshed. Oh, for the good old days when life was so much simpler.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the riddler on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:32 am

Horrible game all around. I'm not sure what it's going to take to beat the Bruins, they've looked near perfect after two games. They are making the Penguins uncomfortable in the offensive zone. No one can hold onto the puck. I'd stick with Vokoun for the next game as Fleury had his shot to get a start in Game 3, he let in 2 really bad goals. Bennett should be in the lineup, he is a better player than a few guys that are playing regularly right now.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 am

PAPLine wrote:We just need to look at tapes of March, that is when we played hockey, "Our Way." We haven't played that way since a week or two before the regular season ended. That is how this team wins games: defensive responsibility, offensive opportunism and playing as a team. We can't forget our own end and try to outscore teams, we need to limit the other teams scoring, and our scoring will come. We shouldn't have to press the issue.

I don't care about "Our way" hockey. I want to see safe, defensive minded playoff hockey that wins games.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 am

Pitts wrote:
PAPLine wrote:We just need to look at tapes of March, that is when we played hockey, "Our Way." We haven't played that way since a week or two before the regular season ended. That is how this team wins games: defensive responsibility, offensive opportunism and playing as a team. We can't forget our own end and try to outscore teams, we need to limit the other teams scoring, and our scoring will come. We shouldn't have to press the issue.

I don't care about "Our way" hockey. I want to see safe, defensive minded playoff hockey that wins games.

Exactly!
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:12 pm

penguinsbabex25 wrote:Same thing against the Bruins in either '91 or '92 I believe. Lost the first 2 at Boston and then won the next 4. It's possible. We'll see.

That was 1991. In that series, Boston won the first game. In the second, Pens outplayed the "B's" and lost when they got called on a 5-on-3 in overtime. Pretty cheesy call too, if I remember correctly.

From what I can see, there are absolutely NO simularities between the two series. In 1991, the Pens were playing great hockey and won the next 4 games. In this series, I'm still waiting for the arrest of the imposters wearing the team uniforms last night and the return of the "real" Penguins. While victory is still mathematically possible, basically I'm ..... :scared:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PAPLine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:17 pm

"Bylsma did not say who would be his goaltender for Game 3, saying it was “tough” to evaluate how both Fleury and Vokoun played given the way the team performed in front of them."
From today's Penguins Report: Practice.
No kidding? The DEFENSE had something to do with it? Maybe that's what they should be practicing today.
PAPLine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 pm

PAPLine wrote:"Bylsma did not say who would be his goaltender for Game 3, saying it was “tough” to evaluate how both Fleury and Vokoun played given the way the team performed in front of them."
No kidding? The DEFENSE had something to do with it? Maybe that's what they should be practicing today.

that's a silly statement from bylsma. i hope he's just being politically correct, and that's not his actual thought process
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PghSkins on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:27 pm

shmenguin wrote:
PAPLine wrote:"Bylsma did not say who would be his goaltender for Game 3, saying it was “tough” to evaluate how both Fleury and Vokoun played given the way the team performed in front of them."

that's a silly statement from bylsma. i hope he's just being politically correct, and that's not his actual thought process

I don't know, his statements like "First team to score 4 goals will win" and "First team to score will win" were pathetic prophetic.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Thinking more maybe this:

10-87-12
14-71-18
24-16-9
19-46-48

Could be the best spread of talent possible.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:44 pm

14-71-18
24-16-9
19-39-48
10-46-17
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:56 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:

Just like in a Christmas Story he skipped the dog dares and went straight to the point. We lose game three obviously.

Sorry, off my game. Don't worry though, I'll be good for game 3. Not actually starting the TFTMA thread threw me off ;)
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Penspal wrote:
SoupOrSam wrote:
71Aj66ax87 wrote:

Sorry, off my game. Don't worry though, I'll be good for game 3. Not actually starting the TFTMA thread threw me off ;)

Yeah, that's bad mojo. Get it back!
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bh on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:59 pm

Still Shocked over last night.
Tinkering with the lineup might help a little, but really they need to simplify their game.
Just take less risks. Take care of the puck and wait for the next battle.
Everyone was so out of sync. Frazzled.
That goal by Suter was nice. You could see the determination in his stride when he got the puck. Great shot too. Too bad it was a wasted effort.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins