Favorite NES games

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Favorite NES games

Postby Ace on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:30 am

With the recent post of RBI baseball, and the fact that i do still play Nintendo games on my emulator on PC, i was wondering how many on the board (sure there are many), grew up with the Nintendo system, and what would be your favorite NES games of alltime

Heres my list:

1-Ice Hockey,
this game just simply rules, 4 on 4 hockey with a lot of open ice.
One skinny guy
one medium guy
two fat guys on Defense,
recipe for success !!!

http://www.nesplayer.com/icehockey/icehockey.htm

2 - RBI Series, mostly 1 and 3

3 - Mike Tyson's Punch Out
I still remember the first time i beat Tyson, WOW, but getting through all the competition was quite tough. Opponents like Piston Honda, the Hippo guy, Mr Sandman, Super Macho Man

4 - Contra
up up, down down, left right, left right, b a b a, start
hope you all know waht i'm talking about

5 - Super Mario Bros
It came with the console, and was a great first game to showcase the NES system

Honorable mention to Blades of Steel, i prefer Ice Hockey, but it was another good hockey game.

Watch the videos of Blades of Steel from the link below, quite humerous

http://www.nesplayer.com/flash/index.htm
Ace
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the wicked child on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:45 am

Final Fantasy
Mega Man (2 and 3 are the best, but I enjoy the others as well)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (I like the others, but the difficulty level makes them less enjoyable)
Zelda (basically 2 games in one with the second quest)
Battle of Olympus (tough but fun)

Those are the ones that immediately jumped to mind.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Peter on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:52 am

Castlevania II
Any Megaman (especially 2 and 3)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The arcade game
Geeze there is so many more, I too have an emulator and play play play.
Peter

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:10 pm

Quick top 5 (that I can recall right now):

1. Mega Man 2
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. Excitebike
4. Bases Loaded 2
5. Double Dribble

Though I must admit I got more into gaming around the time of the Super Nintendo. Shame on me!
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:15 pm

In order....

1. Tecmo Super Bowl
2. The Black Bass
3. Double Dragon
4. Blades of Steel
5. Punchout!

Honorable Mention:

Castlevania II
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1
Ninja Gaiden.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:56 pm

RBI Baseball
Tecmo Super Bowl
Little League Baseball
Marble Madness
Super Sprint
RC Pro Am
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:41 pm

1. Goonies II
2. Kid Icarus
3. Metroid
4. Contra
5. Super Mario Bros.

Oh, and I can play these any time I'm bored, along with dozens of others, on my Treo wherever and whenever I want. Have I mentioned it is the best phone ever created? :D
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:17 pm

Where's the love for Metal Gear?

Excitebike also rocked and how can anyone forget Duck Hunt? You actually got to shoot at the TV! :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tinnick 23:58:00 on Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:20 pm

Awesome thread. I just busted out an NES emulator on my machine and have retrogressed about 15 years this week.

1. Tecmo Super Bowl
2. Punch Out
3. Castlevania series (especially III)
4. Mega Man series (especially 2 and 3)
5. Bionic Commando
Tinnick 23:58:00

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:10 am

1. River City Ransom
2. Baseball Stars
3. RBI Baseball
4. Tecmo Bowl
5. Zelda

Metroid, Contra, Mega Man, Blades of Steel, Double Dribble, Ice Hockey are Honorable Mention.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jdev28 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:11 pm

Kovy27 wrote:1. River City Ransom
2. Baseball Stars
3. RBI Baseball
4. Tecmo Bowl
5. Zelda

Metroid, Contra, Mega Man, Blades of Steel, Double Dribble, Ice Hockey are Honorable Mention.

Glad to see someone list baseball stars. I used to love that game. It was the first game that I could make my own team and name players.

My top 10:

10. Little League Baseball
9. Maniac Mansion
8. Mega Man II
7. Friday the 13th
6. Zelda
5. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
4. Blades of Steel
3. Baseball Stars
2. Tecmo Superbowl
1. Zelda II

Honorable Mentions: Skate or Die, RC Pro-Am, Double Dragon, Fester's Quest, and Wrath of the Black Manta
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:57 pm

jdev28 wrote:7. Friday the 13th

Man, that was a good one.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:45 pm

Wow this is tough. I grew up with this stuff, too, so here goes...

#10 - Contra - One of the best action games Konami ever made, but it was absolutely impossible unless you used the extra lives code. Like Castlevania, the controls could sometimes be maddeningly tough (there were some jumps that you had to hit JUST right), but a great game nonetheless. I can't believe no one's tried to run with this one a little more for the PS2/X Box.

#9 - Blades of Steel - Looked better than NES Ice Hockey, but it just wasn't as much fun to play. Still, it was the first game I remember that had a controllable fight feature, and I used to love the way the refs would drag the loser of the fight to the penalty box.

#8 - Baseball Stars - Revolutionized sports games because it was one of the first games that I ever remember that allowed you to create your own players.

#7 - Ring King - For as much as I liked Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, I LOVED this game just because it was more realistic. For it's time, it was an entertaining boxing game that walked a very good line between entertaining game and simulation.

#6 - Super Mario Bros - All these years later and this one still holds up in terms of entertainment and challenge. What more can be said about this one? If there's a Pantheon of the Video Game Hall of Fame, this one has to be there.

#5 - (TIE) RBI Baseball & Ice Hockey - The first baseball game I remember playing that used actual player names in the game. I grew up a Mets fan, so I loved this game because the Mets were one of the teams included in the original version.

Ice Hockey proved that sometimes the best games were also the ones that kept things simple. I loved the old-school look to the game (ever notice how there's no glass along the boards? It's chain-link wiring). I loved the international flavor (especially since the Russians and Czechs were so tough).

#4 - Tecmo Bowl - Let's put it this way...I've seen some writers on the internet make a case that "Tecmo Bo Jackson" should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. This was "Madden" to kids my age before "Madden" became a video game staple. Jackson, Walter Payton, and Lawrence Taylor were dominant. I was a Seahawks fan when I was a kid, and I could never understand why they had pink uniforms, though.

#3 - Bases Loaded - How influential was this game? When the Pirates traded Brian Giles to San Diego for Ollie Perez and Jason BAY, I said to one of my Pirate-following buddies, "It's too bad they couldn't get Paste thrown into that deal, too." He knew EXACTLY what I was talking about. (For those who don't know, the "New Jersey" team in the game had a cleanup hitter named "BAY" and a #3 hitter named "PASTE". "Paste" was the best hitter in the game and achieved a Tecmo Bo Jackson-like status for kids who played Bases Loaded). This was clearly the best baseball simulation ever done on the NES, and honestly, I didn't find a baseball game that was this much fun to play until EA Sports released MVP Baseball 2005 for the PS2.

#2 - Metroid - Metroid was just about as big a space adventure game as you could make on the NES. I think it's a little underrated because of the immense popularity of my #1 choice, but it's just as much fun to play. The variations in the levels were incredible, and the background music helped make the game an even better experience. The Metroid creatures may have been one of the single most "intimidating" bosses to try and beat.

#1 - Legend of Zelda - Put simply, no game like Zelda existed when it came out, at least not that I recall. It was an epic, plain and simple. There were adventure games out there, but nothing like this. This was like a whole new world.

Zelda was the first game I ever remember that topped a $40 price tag (which was absolutely unheard of at the time). I was more of a sports game fan than anything else, but I got absolutely sucked in by this game. In retrospect, it's tough to explain how big Zelda was to someone who didn't grow up with it (I've tried to explain this to my two nephews. They're both X-Box generation kids. It's pointless). I was like 11 when me and few of my friends managed to beat Gammon to win the game...you would've thought we hit the lottery or something.

It's been 20 years now since the game came out and it's still one of the best games I've ever played.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:13 pm

VIVA LA PASTE!!!!

That post brought back some memories.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stevens25 on Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:41 pm

Legend of Zelda was the best ever!! I loved that game. Personally,I also loved Blades of Steel,Mike Tyson's Punch Out,Super Mario Bros. 2 and Pro Wrestling.
This post brings back memories. :)
Stevens25

Postby the wicked child on Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:10 am

Stoosh wrote:#2 - Metroid - Metroid was just about as big a space adventure game as you could make on the NES. I think it's a little underrated because of the immense popularity of my #1 choice, but it's just as much fun to play. The variations in the levels were incredible, and the background music helped make the game an even better experience. The Metroid creatures may have been one of the single most "intimidating" bosses to try and beat.

Although I love the Metroid series (Metroid Prime and Super Metroid are 2 of my favorite games ever), I left this off because I just don't enjoy the original as much as some of the others. It is impressive for what it did on the NES though...
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Diddy's Top 5

Postby Diddy on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:28 am

#5 - Super Mario Brothers 3
#4 - Techmo Bowl
#3 - Blades of Steel
#2 - Little League World Series
#1 - Techmo Super Bowl - I played this game more than any other in my life.
Diddy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby irishflag22 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:52 pm

#5 Duck Hunt
#4 Super Mario Brothers 3
#3 The Simpsons
#2 Tecmo Super Bowl
#1 Blades of Steel
irishflag22

Postby Kicksave on Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:19 am

1. TMNT 1
2. TMNT 2
3. TMNT 3
4. Techmo
5. Ice-Hockey

....yea, I was a TMNT FANATIC when I was younger....actually, I wore the same costume unitl I was 10-11....DONT JUDGE ME
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:16 am

It took me 10 min to figure out what TMNT was.... maybe you should let people know it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at least once before you use the initials :D
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:35 am

Although I love the Metroid series (Metroid Prime and Super Metroid are 2 of my favorite games ever), I left this off because I just don't enjoy the original as much as some of the others. It is impressive for what it did on the NES though...

For as much as I loved the original Metroid, I've never played any of the Metroid titles that came after it. I got a Sega Genesis around 1993 and a PS1 when I was in college (1997-ish), and that pulled me away from the Nintendo systems for good (although Goldeneye on the N64 was fantastic...especially the multiplayer feature). I've still got the old Sega Genesis.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby freq019 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:11 am

I'd say its a tie between Zelda, Metroid and Contra. Sadly I never owned a NES so my time with those games were limited to friends houses.
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby prez41 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:03 am

Tecmo Super Bowl. The end zone to end zone bombs with crappy qb's were great.
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:22 am

Kicksave, I too was a TMNT fan. I would talk to myself making up adventures of bashing shredder. We have much in common.
Peter

Postby Kicksave on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:36 am

Peter wrote:Kicksave, I too was a TMNT fan. I would talk to myself making up adventures of bashing shredder. We have much in common.

You were a fan, I literally thought I was a teenage mutant ninja turtle. You laugh, i'm not kidding. When asked when I was 8 what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have probably said be a teenage mutant ninja turtle.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NHR