worst penguin playoff series of all time

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: worst penguin playoff series of all time

Postby Antonio on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:57 pm

and we come back to coaching and the ability to use what you have and mix it correctly and counter certain combinations from the other team
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:58 pm

I have never seen Penguins look so powerless.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Steve on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:59 pm

The Flyers series was worse. This series is probably the most shocking series I've seen the Pens in though...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am

Antonio wrote:and we come back to coaching and the ability to use what you have and mix it correctly and counter certain combinations from the other team

How? Our 3rd and 4th provide little. Just mix and match top 2 lines? Kunitz nor Neal provided what they should have. I agree HCDB was out coached but in the end our lack of a complete hurt most.

Nobody capable of getting dirty.

Cup win, last 4 goals: 2 neutral zone turnovers and 2 from forcheck turnovers. Game 4 goals - one PP around the net, one SH, one from offensive zone turnover to breakout, one from TK on a forecheck.

Not one resulted from a pure skill play in our final 3 wins. Not one goal.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Orlando Penguin on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 am

My ranks:

1 -- 96 Panthers -- far superior to what FLA trotted out there but ran into a hot Beezer (who knew?) and our offense and power play went into the tank trying to make the picture-perfect play rather than grinding out goals

2 -- 2011 Tampa -- I know they didn't have Crosby but you can't be blowing 3-1 series leads and then having the last 2 home games turn into what they turned into

3 -- 93 Islanders -- No excuse for letting a team without its star (Turgeon) to stay in that series to the point of getting to a game 7. And then after forcing OT, it looked like a foregone conclusion.

4 -- 2012 Flyers -- Because of the lack of discipline and the beginning of the end of playoff competence by Fleury.

5 -- 2013 Bruins -- This is more out of frustration about getting totally shut down. Rask was good enough and his defense in front of him was unbelievable. I've never seen more posts, bad bounces, no luck, poor puckhandling out of a talented team like what happened with the Pens. If this is the current regime's window closing, it's going to be a very hollow thud.
Orlando Penguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:18 am

I can only imagine the party on HF Boards. Yeah, I probably won't go there for the rest of the summer ever again.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cma3585 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:21 am

I'd love to see time of possession stats for this series, I can't find them anywhere. Yeah, it's embarrassing when you only score 2 goals in a series. But how could any of us, or even Bylsma for that matter, could instruct these guys on breaking one of the best goaltending performances in a series of all time? Sure, Boston's stellar defense helped Rask, but he was on another level from the start. I can safely say without exaggeration we got next to no fortunate/lucky/fluky/whathaveyou bounces at any point throughout the series. No deflections that helped us in any manner and a few that really hurt us. 10 goal posts in 3 games was it? I liked this team's compete level in games 1, 3, and 4 and I'm not ashamed to admit that. No, they didn't play 60 mins in game 1 (neither did the Bruins) but they had a wealth of opportunities and were shut down. They were creating as much as we expected of them, they just couldn't finish. I can safely opine that this was the closest 4-0 series of all time without hesitation.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bdevido on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:38 am

i don't agree with that assessment. aside from the 96 squad, this was was arguably just as talented of a team with just as high of expectations. to lose in a 4 game sweep and be shut out in two of them, in my opinion, makes it worse than 96. as far as the philly series goes last year; put in a competent goalie and it would have gone differently. i feel so bad for vokoun he was our best player.
bdevido
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:54 am

Maybe '93 series felt more devastating, or even hurt more, but I'd say this series was far far worse. This was a complete embarrassment and a total nightmare.. literally an absolute nightmare. Imagine if before this series, you'd had a dream that the pens got swept in four with malkin, crosby, neal, dupuis, and iginla getting zilch, meanwhile racking up a total of 2 goals for the whole series. You'd most likely wake up in a cold sweat thinking "wow that was a really bad dream." "Thank goodness that something so completely absurd could never possibly happen in real life." Yet here we are. This actually just happened. For the most potent offense in over twenty years to be held to the lowest goal total in a post season series... in.. (I don't even want to know how long), THAT is a nightmare. I get the fact that Boston's defense was fantastic, Rask played played like a franchise goal tender is supposed to play, and that we got pretty much 0 bounces, but still, this was bad. And regardless of the fact the we should have easily beaten the islanders in 93, at least that series was competitive. You could make a case for last years series against the flyers being worse, just due to the complete ineptitude of our defense and goaltending, as well as the overall way the team carried itself, but i suppose it's a matter of perspective as to which series seems worse to you. Once again, at least last year we were able to score and took it to six games.

Regardless of which series you think was worse, HCDB in consecutive years, has now led this team to what are IMHO, two of the most embarrassing post season losses in both the history of Pittsburgh sports, and the history of the NHL. And yet I keep hearing these geniuses in the media say that Bylsma's job is safe!? It truly, TRULY boggles the mind.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:18 am

eddiefromirwin wrote:Its seems like the 2 mega star model might no longer be valid. Maybe we need more 4-5 million dollar players and one less 12 million dollar one.

I've been an advocate of this since the Mtl series. The year they won the cup, both Staal and Malkin were still on their entry level contracts.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:07 am

1993 = heartbreaking
1996 = frustrating
2012 = infuriating
2013 = stunning

It's like the results were so stunningly bad. 2 goals in an entire series? Holy crap.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby smoothmoneyb on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:21 am

littlemoonboot wrote:1993 = heartbreaking
1996 = frustrating
2012 = infuriating
2013 = stunning

It's like the results were so stunningly bad. 2 goals in an entire series? Holy crap.

I'd say that's a pretty good assessment... in which case, it's all in the eye of the beholder as to which was the worst. Still, if we're talking about most embarrassing, I'd say that 2013 takes the cake.
Last edited by smoothmoneyb on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Seattle-Pens-fan on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:21 am

The loss in 93 was bad. This one seems worse, in that I think it could have been won. Like many of you, it comes down to coaching, in my opinion. Park someone in the goddamn crease, like they were doing all series, and I have no doubt we'd have scored some goals. No one seemed to want to pay the price, and that comes down to coaching. Boston had it - Julien (sp?) made adjustments, Byslma never did. Their defensive gameplan stymied the Pens, so change what isn't working damnit. Frankly, I think he needs to go at this point. For the shock value to whoever remains, if nothing else. I think they need to bring in an X's and O's guy this time and forget about coddling the players. The players may have hated Therrien, but they played hard for him - at least for a few years.
Seattle-Pens-fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins