The wishlist: head-coaching vacancy

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The wishlist: head-coaching vacancy

Postby bse on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:36 pm

I know every thread is full of HCDB, but really, so it should be. We need accountability, and that begins with the coaching staff.

However, this thread isn't about whether or not we should retain HCDB. Let's assume, for now, that there will be a coaching change.
(As a side note, go to pittsburghpenguins.com, it has a huge title: a great day for hockey, a photo and under it isi text: Pens season ends in game 4 loss. I find it amusing they call this a great day for hockey...)

Who is your favorite for the job?

I wish that the entire coaching staff is sent packing, except for strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar.

That includes:
Bylsma
Granato
Reirden
Meloche
Saucier

My favorites for the job are Lindy Ruff and John Hynes. In fact, I would like to see Ruff as a head coach, with Hynes as an assistant coach.

Since Ruff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindy_Ruff) is well known, I'll post some background on Hynes.

JOHN HYNES
Unlike our other AHL coaches since Therrien, Hynes isn't a country club product. Besides developing talent, he has a knack for being tough, but not overdoing it. Hynes has had success everywhere and is likely to be hired somewhere else very soon.

Wikipedia:
After the 2002-03 season, Hynes spent the next six seasons as a head coach with USA Hockey's National Team Development Program, posting an overall record of 216-113-19-9. In 2008–09, he was head coach of the U.S. Under-17 Development Team, posting a 42–17–6 record.

Hynes also led the U.S. Under-18 national team to three medals at the World Under-18 Championships, a gold in 2006, silver in 2004 and bronze in 2008. He was head coach of the U.S. national team at the 2008 World Junior championships, and was an assistant coach on the 2004 U.S. team that won a gold medal at the World Junior event.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/0 ... ohn-hynes/
http://penguinsreport.com/2012/05/21/jo ... te-in-nhl/
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: The wishlist: head-coaching vacancy

Postby bse on Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Here's more on Hynes
http://theahl.com/penguins-hynes-is-top-coach-p170545

Over the past two seasons, Hynes has led WBS to a 102-46-2-6 overall record, two Calder Cup playoff berths and the 2011 AHL regular-season championship while being named the 2011 AHL coach of the year. He recorded his 100th win on Apr. 6 versus Hershey, doing so in just 152 games, becoming the fastest in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton history to accomplish this feat and second-fastest ever in the AHL.

And this tidbit:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=671724

His team overcame a 0-3 deficit, and won in seven earlier this season - and ironically, against the Bruins farm team.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Hynes will definitely be a HC somewhere, sooner rather than later. Do you think he can handle two superstars? To me, that's the game breaker...we need someone who can implement a defensive system, hold our guns accountable for their mistakes, and someone who isn't afraid to change things and match lines like most coaches in the 21st century.

Is there a guy like that out there? I don't know much about head coaches so it's an honest question.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lt. Dish on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Assuming the firing happens, does anyone have any ideas when it would? After the SCF? Next week? My first thought is that Shero would take his time with this decision, but if camp starts in 3 months, then I guess you need as much time as you can get to establish the new regime, no?
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joker10277 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Pens need a seasoned coach that the players will respect, like when they hired Bob Johnson. There is no leadership in that room, it needs to start behind the bench, No more reinventing the wheel, just get these guys to play to their potential when the chips are down (playoffs).

Who that is, I don't know, Andy Murray? Ruff?
joker10277
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bse on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Hynes will definitely be a HC somewhere, sooner rather than later. Do you think he can handle two superstars? To me, that's the game breaker...we need someone who can implement a defensive system, hold our guns accountable for their mistakes, and someone who isn't afraid to change things and match lines like most coaches in the 21st century.

Is there a guy like that out there? I don't know much about head coaches so it's an honest question.

Yeah, you have a good point. I believe Ruff-Hynes pair, along with a veteran assistant coach such as Troy Ward (part of Constantine team, now head coach of Flames AHL club and his son lives in Pittsburgh area), would work just fine.

Ruff has character and is very respected. Hynes would provide new hockey insight.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Dave Tippett. His contract with Phoenix expires June 30.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm

Bathgate wrote:Dave Tippett. His contract with Phoenix expires June 30.

Tippett and Ruff are my two choices.

You can't hire a guy without prior HC experience, not for this team.

Torts is the worst choice I can think of (well maybe Mad Mike would be worse, but GMRS ain't that dumb.

Keenan would have been great but he's got a 2 year contract in Russia now.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Tyler Durden on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Bathgate wrote:Dave Tippett. His contract with Phoenix expires June 30.

Agreed on Tippett. He'd be my first choice. No thanks to Hynes. I don't watch the Baby Pens, but don't they run the same system as the big club?

Even though I'm for canning Bylsma, you can't make a change for the sake of change. You have to find a good candidate and one who you fully believe will be better.
Tyler Durden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Desiato on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Keenan was already out of touch by the late 90s. No thanks.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgoalpens on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:39 pm

Alain Vigneault. I would love to see him coaching the pens. Tippett would be great too. Anybody have a general idea when we will hear anything either way about Bylsma.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:43 pm

letsgoalpens wrote:Alain Vigneault. I would love to see him coaching the pens. Tippett would be great too. Anybody have a general idea when we will hear anything either way about Bylsma.

If Bylsma is staying, Shero will tell everyone that whenever he talks to the press. Which should be in a couple days.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:44 pm

farnham16 wrote:
letsgoalpens wrote:Alain Vigneault. I would love to see him coaching the pens. Tippett would be great too. Anybody have a general idea when we will hear anything either way about Bylsma.

If Bylsma is staying, Shero will tell everyone that whenever he talks to the press. Which should be in a couple days.

One thing about this franchise, they don't make rash decisions. I'll bet we don't hear anything before the end of the 'Cup finals.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby bse on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Vigneault doesn't seem to be much different from Bylsma. Success in the regular season, choking in the playoffs.
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby letsgoalpens on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:48 pm

bse wrote:Vigneault doesn't seem to be much different from Bylsma. Success in the regular season, choking in the playoffs.

I really thought he got the most out of the Canuck teams. They had talent but they seemed to perform above their talent level. A change was needed up in Van City but I think he could come here and do really well. Tippett I really like but I am not sure how he will deal with high end offensive talent. I thought the Stars really messed up when they let him go. I really like him as a coach but I am not sure how good of a fit he would be with this team.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guinness on Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:48 pm

I'd like to see a coach hired with at least a week before the draft. PGH have invested in systems, which I think is smart; so I think it's important to identify the new coach and strategy before moving ahead even with a light draft as the Pens have this year. In my gut, I'm inclined toward Lindy ruff. He's a steady guy, has dealt with stars (albeit not on the level of Crosby and Malkin), and has a defensive mindset.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Boogeyman on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:37 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Hynes will definitely be a HC somewhere, sooner rather than later. Do you think he can handle two superstars? To me, that's the game breaker...we need someone who can implement a defensive system, hold our guns accountable for their mistakes, and someone who isn't afraid to change things and match lines like most coaches in the 21st century.

Lindy Ruff would healthy scratch anyone on this roster if it got a point across.
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:22 pm

If GMRS can do with his new coaching vacancy (see what I did there? :) ), what he did with building a roster full of World Class talent, I'm confident we can make it to the playoffs again next year. The question is, can he?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Firebird on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Dave Tippet - probably would be a great choice
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:37 pm

What vacancy?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MarioLives on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:43 pm

No doubt a coaching change is needed. Sorry but it is. You cannot win a cup with this system any longer. Bylsma did a great job while here, but it is time. We need a coach who can match lines and adapt in a series. When you play a team once it will work, in a series it does not.
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Gaucho wrote:What vacancy?

To subtle for ya?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Tippett please.

No more hiring from within.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm

- Tippett - Exactly what the Pens would need, but would need help on offense side of equation. Billy G as asst coach?
- Vigneault - I just don't know much about. Would like to learn more about his systems/structure.
- Boughner - Dude has worked his way up. Hasn't coached NHL team yet, but absolutely is a future NHL coach.
- Dave King - Malkin's favorite coach. Coached Magnitogorsk for a while, did good in Calgary in the early 1990's. Was at the helm of the Blue Jackets in the early-2000's, but those were terrible teams.
- Guy Boucher - Crosby's past coach. Loves defensive responsibilities, supposedly doesn't work well with physical players or veterans.
- Ruff - wants GM responsibilities. Really don't know enough about his approaches. Too many different types of teams he fielded.
- Torts - lolno.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby suzinpgh on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:04 pm

A composite of the genius & brilliance of Scotty Bowman, the heart and optimism of Bob Johnson, the discipline of Kevin Constantine, the desire to win of Bruce Boudreau, the power play abilities of Eddie Johnston, the moustache of Paul McLean, the wardrobe consultant of John Tortorella, and the defensive preachiness of Michel Therrien, avec an accent.

Note: This person does not exist.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins